Childish Food Habits

Options

Replies

• shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm a 30-something year old woman ready to get back into shape. I know what I need to do (exercise, cut portions, etc.) and I know what I should be eating (veggies, fruits, healthy grains, etc.) but I've got just one obstacle... some weird food habits. I have a giant aversion to mushy foods! I know this might seem ridiculous but I just can't separate the mental from the physical of eating something like rattatouille. Lord knows I try! But I look like an 8 year old picking through their veggies. What's funny is that it TASTES great but I have to psyche myself out before every forkful of food to get over the texture of the food. Anyone else have weird food aversions??? :sad:

My solution in dealing with many mushy foods is putting in the oven on broil for a couple of minutes. I'll eat almost any food if it's crispy.
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can't eat white creamy stuff [insert dirty joke here]. It's a mental thing. I think Chicken Alfredo tastes great, but it took me years to even try it because of how disgusting it looks. Same with vanilla ice cream. If it melts too much, I'm done. I'll never psyche myself out enough to try clam chowder. NEVER.

I went to Olive Garden last week. My friend and I were doing the 2 for 25 deal and the only low cal entree they offered was the Shrimp Mazzaluna. You should have saw how I picked out the shrimp and the pasta. Trying to scoop off as much sauce as possible. It tasted good. But my mind won't let it be great :-/.

Edit: My aversion is not limited to sauces. I also dislike creamy-ish cheeses. When I make lasagna, I do so without the riccotta. I can only add Mozarella if there's a healthy dose of Cheddar to blend it in.

At Olive Garden I always ask for sauce on the side because they always add 3x more than I would use or like.

I am also super weird about mushy stuff. I rarely eat cooked vegetables and hate mushy fruits like bananas and pears. You just gotta figure out what works for you and try to buck up when people give you crap for it.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't eat whole grain bread. Whenever I crunch down on a seed I think its a bug. Completely grosses me out.:happy:
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food-texture issues, as well.

I don't enjoy pickles, olives, mushrooms, or raw tomatoes because the textures bother me so much. However, having the flavors of them, especially tomatoes, are things I enjoy.

THIS!!! I can only eat really firm sliced tomatoes in a sandwich. The second it pulls apart it's getting taken out IMMEDIATELY.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I always eat the non marshmallow bits in cereal first, then eat the rest in groups of their respective colors.
    As I finish a meal, I always make sure that everything is in one bite of being finished together so I don't run out of one thing to premature.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    At Olive Garden I always ask for sauce on the side because they always add 3x more than I would use or like.

I am also super weird about mushy stuff. I rarely eat cooked vegetables and hate mushy fruits like bananas and pears. You just gotta figure out what works for you and try to buck up when people give you crap for it.

I had no idea I could ask for sauce on the side. Very good info for the future. I would have enjoyed the dish alot more with just the shrimp and pasta.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my Dinosaur chicken nuggets in honey, and pretend they're stuck in a tar pit.

You are awesome.
  • hrod215
    Options
    I will not let my food touch and I also eat one thing at a time. I have divided plates at home to assure that my food doesn't touch lol waitresses love me!

My wife and kids constantly tease me how I don't let my foods touch and eat one food at a time. It pretty much runs in my family. Many of us have this hangup. I can now use your post as proof that there's nothing wrong with me :)

Nothing wrong with any of us! We just know what we like. :wink:
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my Dinosaur chicken nuggets in honey, and pretend they're stuck in a tar pit.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I literally laughed out loud when I read this!

So did I! :)
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Mash potatoes. Never liked the way they felt. Mom made me eat them once as a kid. Got one bite in and I threw up.
    Now at 24 I can do them but I have to add stuff to change it.

Have to eat the least favorite items first working towards my favorite. Or if its one item but different colors then least favorite color toward favorite.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I had no idea I could ask for sauce on the side. Very good info for the future. I would have enjoyed the dish alot more with just the shrimp and pasta.

you can ask to seperate most ingredients- I almost always ask for sauce on the side since that's what jacks calorie counts up so high so frequently.
    sauces and like bacon bits- anything like a topping. ask on the side.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mushy cooked veggies!!!!! Can't eat veggie pizza, etc. if it's supposed to be crunchy or mushy, the opposite makes me gag lol
  • hrod215
    Options
    I always eat the non marshmallow bits in cereal first, then eat the rest in groups of their respective colors.
    As I finish a meal, I always make sure that everything is in one bite of being finished together so I don't run out of one thing to premature.

and THIS!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When it comes to veggies, it's a mixture of texture and temperature for me. I don't mind if they're a bit mushy but once they cool off, I just can't do it. The good part about this aversion is that I tend to eat my veggies right away in order to get them in. That can be a real calorie saver since they tend to be filling.

Chicken wings - if the skin isn't crispy, I won't eat it. Mostly a texture thing. So I peel it back and just eat the meat off the bone. Hubs sees this as a huge waste but I just can't do it. Bonus: also a calorie saver.

If both potatoes and squash are being served, they must be mixed together. If you think this is bad, you should see my brother's plate at Thanksgiving - everything gets mixed into one big blob of food. A complete nightmare for people who don't like their food to touch. LOL!
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wish there were foods I could not eat. Unfortunately, the entire world of food is my oyster. Mmmmmmm.....oysters! :drinker:
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    I've never been able to bite into an onion. I don't mind the taste, but if I have to cook with onions, I purée the **** out of them. When I eat out, I just tell people that I'm allergic to them. It saves the hastle.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat cheese that isn't "cooked" like on pizza. I will eat cheese on a sandwich but never ever do I cut a chunk of cheese and eat it...never. I hate veggies that are soft and have to force myself to eat green foods (like green beans).

I have a cousin that can't eat leftovers, even if you make something in the afternoon for lunch, she won't eat it later in the day. If you touch her glass she won't drink from it. It's great when she brings out a beer and you're too lazy to get up, you just have to touch hers and it's yours.
  • hrod215
    Options
    When it comes to veggies, it's a mixture of texture and temperature for me. I don't mind if they're a bit mushy but once they cool off, I just can't do it. The good part about this aversion is that I tend to eat my veggies right away in order to get them in. That can be a real calorie saver since they tend to be filling.

Chicken wings - if the skin isn't crispy, I won't eat it. Mostly a texture thing. So I peel it back and just eat the meat off the bone. Hubs sees this as a huge waste but I just can't do it. Bonus: also a calorie saver.

If both potatoes and squash are being served, they must be mixed together. If you think this is bad, you should see my brother's plate at Thanksgiving - everything gets mixed into one big blob of food. A complete nightmare for people who don't like their food to touch. LOL!

THIS!!! You just made me realize I also have a thing with temp, didn't realize it. I can eat slightly mushy things if they are supposed to be cold (cottage cheese, though this is more chunky than mushy) I just keep adding to my list lol. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I eat my foods one at a time, in order from least favorite to most favorite. All my chicken will get eaten first, then all the veggies, then all the carbs. I never take bites of different things in between food items.

How many different ways have you tried veggies? I have an aversion to a lot of crunchy foods/veggies, but I can eat them steamed or boiled.
  • hrod215
    Options
    I've never been able to bite into an onion. I don't mind the taste, but if I have to cook with onions, I purée the **** out of them. When I eat out, I just tell people that I'm allergic to them. It saves the hastle.

If I cook with onions I chop them large so I can just pick them out later. I will NOT bite into an onion either. (shudders)