Working hard but no progress. Help?

Options
I have been working out 6-7 days a week for the past 4 months. I alternate cardio with strength training, and have even tried heavy lifting for over a month. I watch what I eat, and try to hit my macros as accurately as possible. I have been eating around 1200-1300 net calories, 1400-1500 total calories a day. I have gained 6 pounds in the last month, gained inches in my arms and legs, and only lost ~2 inches in my hips.

I know that makes it seem like I'm gaining muscle, but I don't see a difference in how toned my arms and legs are (or any part of my body). It just seems like the muscles may be growing, but the fat on top isn't going anywhere.

Maybe I'm not at a big enough deficit? I tried going 1000-1200 calories a day, but I never had enough energy. Any suggestions as to what else I could do? Is 4 months not long enough to see a significant change?

Replies

• LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you've gained 6 pounds, you are eating above maintenance, bottom line. Even if it's muscle, you aren't going to see more tone because you still have the same, if not a larger, amount of fat covering the muscle. How confident are you in your caloric intake? You weigh solids and measure liquids? You make sure the entries on MFP are correct and confirmed by others? To gain 6 pounds in 4 months would mean you're eating a good bit more than you suggest that you are.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    To better help you, it would be nice if you would post your stats (height, weight, CW, GW, baseline activity level (not including exercise)) and open up your diary.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I suspect that you're over-estimating your exercise calories. When I say "you", it could well be "MFP" as apparently it over-estimates the calories an exercise burns.
  • brandi42
    brandi42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to a gym before I started keeping track of everything. My TDEE is (was) 2172. My BF% was 29%. Height: 5'5". Starting weight was 161. I did go down to 154 in the first month, but current weight is 160. Goal weight: 130. I am going to get my BF% rechecked in two weeks.

I do weigh my solids, and measure my liquids. I do not use MFP's diary because I found that what most people have submitted were off by a couple grams in whatever department... I write it all down.

I do not have my own HRM, so I may very well be overestimating my exercise calories. I do usually cut off some calories that MFP suggests I burn, but apparently it is still way off.

I don't know if this matters, but my diet is 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carbs.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The TDEE you post is reasonable at 2172 for your stats. If you're going by TDEE, then disregard your exercise calories - and just eat at 1500-1600 (which is a 500 deficit with a little room to spare). But make sure you are active/exercise enough to burn the 2712 TDEE.

I'd say first try replacing the batteries in your food scale, and make sure the #s you're logging (on paper, or however you do it) are accurate. Watch serving sizes. I've found things like bread to be suspect. Today for lunch had a tuna sandwich. The bread is supposed to be 41g for 2 slices, but it weighed at 45 which is +10%. Just an example but items can be 10-20% off and still be acceptable per the FDA. Go by weight on fruits, veggies - many people will skip tracking them but the calories add up.
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It looks like your nutritional stats might be off as well. I just started my weight loss journey and have lost an average of one pound per week. My stats come in at 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. So, if you are actually coming in at your goals for nutrients on a daily basis, you might want to tweak them and see if that helps.

Here is a link to an article I found discussing this issue if you're interested: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-carbs-fat-protein-should-eat-daily-lose-weight-6278.html
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I went to a gym before I started keeping track of everything. My TDEE is (was) 2172. My BF% was 29%. Height: 5'5". Starting weight was 161. I did go down to 154 in the first month, but current weight is 160. Goal weight: 130. I am going to get my BF% rechecked in two weeks.

I do weigh my solids, and measure my liquids. I do not use MFP's diary because I found that what most people have submitted were off by a couple grams in whatever department... I write it all down.

I do not have my own HRM, so I may very well be overestimating my exercise calories. I do usually cut off some calories that MFP suggests I burn, but apparently it is still way off.

I don't know if this matters, but my diet is 40% protein, 40% fat, and 20% carbs.

You can create your own food or edit food in MFP diary so it is always accurate for you...