Stupid Scale

Options
had a great NSV this weekend. I went away and did a little hiking. NOT up a mountain but in some rough terraine. I felt great. Then I get on the scale today and I gained 4lbs, how the hell does this happen. I ate great all weekend long even though I was away. I logged all my food today as I had no internet access in the mountains. I am so aggreivated. But I guess all I can do it move on and just deal with it.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight from the increased activity. Our bodies tend to flood sore muscles with excess fluid to help cushion and repair them. It's really common for people starting a new workout routine or increasing the intensity of an old one to see a slight gain on the scale. Bodies are weird.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    stupid scale indeed. :grumble:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That short term increase in weight is actually a necessary waystation on the path to success. It's a good sign, not a bad one!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This blog post is the most amazing depiction of what REAL weight loss truly looks like. It always gives me a laugh and gets my head back on straight. Thanks, Ihad.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This blog post is the most amazing depiction of what REAL weight loss truly looks like. It always gives me a laugh and gets my head back on straight. Thanks, Ihad.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Da best!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't it be Stupid Body? Your scales are just giving you your weight your body is the one having a normal daily variation. So don't blame the poor scales as they have feelings to you know.
  • tristatepets
    tristatepets Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response to the question. It makes me feel better, too, since I worked my behind off this weekend helping hubby install new central air unit and must have walked from the outside unit in the house, down to the basement to the furnace at least 30 times. I ate very little, spinach salad w chicken for supper and a small omelette for breakfast and just water besides. My scale said I gained TWELVE pounds in one day. "Stupid" was NOT one of the words coming out of my mouth Sunday morning! HAHA
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't it be Stupid Body? Your scales are just giving you your weight your body is the one having a normal daily variation. So don't blame the poor scales as they have feelings to you know.

:laugh: I love this one. Your scale can not change your weight.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    We give way too much importance to this tool. If you did not overeat and moved more it is impossible to gain weight, so ignore.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I didn't expect to lose 100lbs over the weekend, but at least one would of be nice to see, LOL. I guess I just keep moving and walk away from the scale.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Great job on your hike.
    The gain is probably water, but it isn't fat. You can't gain 4 lbs in 2 days unless you ate ridiculous amounts of high calories all weekend, which you obviously didn't.

Remember though: One salad won't make you skinny, just like one pizza won't make you fat.

You did great this weekend, now keep it up. Consistently doing well is what counts.
  • shrinkingtina
    shrinkingtina Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Haha, I agree...stupid scale. Good thing you had the amazing NSV to balance out the negative.