Can you eat too much fiber?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Stand behind me on squat day after I've eaten chili and you be the judge.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is 80g too much?
    Will excess fiber cause gastrointestinal discomfort?

This seems pretty high (i usually aim for 40g MAX) and you need to make sure you are drinking enough water when you consume large amounts of fiber..
  • catchtheislands
    catchtheislands Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your guts will reach a point where they dump it. Literally. Everything you have eaten out the eye of a needle.

I started taking hemp protein. Love it. But I did what I always do. I think even more is better.

So instead of two servings a day I did 3 servings before noon one day.
    Today actually...
    I spent the rest of the day and night on the toilet.

I am actually supporting myself on two side pillows while typing this because my bing bing is so terribly sore.
    So yes..
    They may recommend 25-30 grams a day but it is something you work up to.
    DO not try to do it all in one day.
    My servings of hemp are 12g and 36 was wayyyy tooo much!

Holy cra&! Literally.
    It feels like I was punched in the bing.
    Just miserable experience.
    If it aint broke... don't try to add more.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, are you taking fiber supplements to get there? I have no idea how you could eat that much otherwise.
    To be honest, the new Honey Bunches of Oats cereal is pretty great. I think I could fit in 2 boxes in one day if I tried. That's 80 grams of fiber right there.
  • lanapike
    lanapike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live a plant based lifestyle, and some days my fiber intake is upward of 97grams! most days it is between 80-90 grams. I feel great, better then i ever did in my life. if you are eating plant base you'll have no trouble eating this much fiber and not realize it! lol
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you are going from 0g to 80g, yeah it can definitely be an issue.
    A lot of fiber(especially when not the norm)can actually clog the system if I'm not mistaken.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    80-90 is way too much. I get 14g per 1000 calories which is the recommended amount.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yup. It can cause constipation if you're not used to it. I think too much insoluble is the worst kind to have inside you. Like a rock getting stuck in a pipe
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, are you taking fiber supplements to get there? I have no idea how you could eat that much otherwise.
    To be honest, the new Honey Bunches of Oats cereal is pretty great. I think I could fit in 2 boxes in one day if I tried. That's 80 grams of fiber right there.

You can fit two whole boxes into your calorie goals? Well, that's impressive, though I don't understand why you'd only eat cereal like that.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    OP, could you open your diary?
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    That amount of fiber is extremely high.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously some people have worked up to it and are doing fine on it. Me, I get 25-30 grams a day. Any more and I'd enter low-earth orbit.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Well, obviously some people have worked up to it and are doing fine on it. Me, I get 25-30 grams a day. Any more and I'd enter low-earth orbit.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • worrblade
    worrblade Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    if you go from eating a low amount of fiber to 80 grams a day you will have bloating and gas but 80 grams is not too much. I would say anything over 40 is enough but as long as you body is accustomed to it 80 grams is not a problem at all! its actually a good thing.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You will know when you eat too much fiber...trust me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yup. It can cause constipation if you're not used to it. I think too much insoluble is the worst kind to have inside you. Like a rock getting stuck in a pipe

This.

I tried to solve constipation by eating tons of baby spinach and apples...learned the hard way. Do not overdo fiber.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm around 80 grams a day too, and I don't have any problems.

I have fiber one and oats in the morning, a few low carb (high fiber) wraps a day, and I always try to get in 6-8 cups of vegetables and 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. It's not hard to get there.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school and used to eat lots of carbs, I would eat a lot of "whole grain" stuff with fiber in it and all, and if I ever added a Fiber One bar to my day, I knew within an hour I would definitely be regretting my decision.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting past 10... Goodness. I couldn't imagine 80.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Is 80g too much?
    Will excess fiber cause gastrointestinal discomfort?

I'm really not sure but you will clean out your system ... also gas is a side affect from allot of fiber ... so make sure you let it out lol

That is not true. Once your body adjusts you will be surprised how LITTLE gas you have and how regular you become.