need real help

Options
natzkj
natzkj Posts: 127 Member
My weight is just not shifting. No matter how much i exercise or how healthy i eat.... i have been to doctors and they wont help not even check my thyroid. I cant afford to go to weightwatchers or slimming world..... its really depressing me now.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is meaningless. You can eat "healthy" and gain weight. Calories are what determines weight loss. How many calories a day on average are you getting in?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look in your diary. Your logging is inconsistent, from what I could see. You logged this most recent weekend but the previous weekends you had 400 calories logged for both days? You can't expect to know where to go calorie - wise if you aren't logging 100%. Calories are what determine weight loss
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Log consistantly (over last two weeks there are several incomplete logs) and eat to your calorie goal (many days you are over). Do that for 30 days and I bet you will start seeing some wt loss.
  • Minkekj
    Minkekj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calories/nutrition are the number one thing when it comes to weight loss. You have to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. If you're eating too few calories and exercising too much, you will end up causing metabolic damage.

Basically, your body will adjust to however many calories you are feeding it; feed it too few and it will slow the metabolism down to that level and stop burning at a higher efficiency.

With exercising, your body will become more efficient. Thus, the more exercising you do, the more you will have to do just to maintain the weight loss. Do an hour of cardio from day one? Eventually, you'll have to start doing more.

The good thing is that metabolic damage isn't the end. You can do a reverse diet, which will increase your metabolism and allow you to start burning more efficiently and be able to get back on track.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I can eat healthy and still eat 1000 cals worth of fruit (just an example)..if you don't like you will overeat!
  • Kevindgolden
    Options
    I wouldn't say eating healthy is useless but I do agree about the calorie intake. For one... stop beating yourself up, your not that fat! I agree with above.... how many calories are you taking in? are you tracking your Macro's Proteins, Fats, Carbs. Are you exercising? and what do you consider a "workout" out and how often are you really working out? Track Everything you eat. and be sure to add your workouts and see if you truly have a calorie deficit. if you do and you keep it up you will loose.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion, you are over in your macros for fat, carbs and sugars daily and under in your protein intake. Your sodium isn't listed, but considering the amount of pre-packaged and processed foods I can expect that it is over in excess causing some additional bloatness or water retention. I would recommend eating lean protein such as fresh chicken, turkey, tuna, or fish or eggs or dairy for example and try to consume some fresh fruits or vegetables as you don't seem to be eating enough servings of those either. Follow this along with hydration and exercise and the scale will move in the right direction. I wouldn't worry about weight watchers, but would suggest a new doctor and thyroid check when able just for good measure. Good luck.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Like others said, Keep eating healthy but try to count more accurately/consistently. Pick a number like 2000 and eat that many calories for a couple weeks, if you gain, you know that's too much and you should drop it a couple hundred for the next couple weeks.

I used online calculators to determine that I needed 2700cal/day to lose weight. That didn't work so i ended up dropping that total to 2100cal/day. Calculators can give you a baseline but you'll need to do the real world testing yourself.

Count everything though. One 20oz soda is almost 300 calories....a small handful of almonds is almost 200 calories. Just make sure you burn more than you take in and you'll have no choice but to lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Most of the days I looked at were in the red. The rest looked to not be fully logged. Start logging accurately - use a food scale for solids, measuring cup for liquids. Log everything you put in your mouth. Just eating "healthy" means nothing. Once you get your diary in order it will be a lot more useful to see where changes can be made.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There are lots of inaccuracies in what you're logging. Thursday and Friday your Weight Watchers chicken fajitas were over 200 calories; Saturday they were only 80. There's also macronutrient information missing from a lot of your entries. If you can't find an entry that has accurate information, add it yourself or edit one of the entries to correct it. There are also a lot of "homemade" entries in your diary. Unless those are things you're making yourself, those are likely very inaccurate, because you have no idea what ingredients that person used.

Tracking your calories only works if you track everything accurately and consistently. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is not useless. Even a bad doctor would tell you that.

Log everything, see if you're really eating healthy and few enough calories (which, if you're eating healthy, it would be hard to eat too many!)

If you still don't lose anything - or gain - in six weeks, get a new doctor and go in with your info.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    No one said eating healthy is useless. Where are you getting this from? I said eating healthy is meaningless, and it is. Healthy is a very subjective term. Whole grains are considered healthy by many but the paleo crowd would say they are very unhealthy. Dairy is considered healthy by many but their are a growing group that consider it to be unhealthy. Should your diet be comprised mostly of minimally processed, whole foods? Yes. Can you lose weight if you eat processed foods in moderation? Yes. If you eat 100% whole foods and never touch processed foods will you automatically lose weight? Nope! Only if you are in a calorie deficit will you lose weight.

To OP, as others have all pointed out, your logging and counting of calories is inconsistent. Tighten that up and see how your progress goes after a month of accurate logging.
  • jbates62
    jbates62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just recently started back to MFP but have lost 66 lbs before. I have to weigh my food until I get the portions down. Even things like my coffee creamer which is horrible I know...I weigh it on my scale. I was eating super healthy and putting on the pounds because my fruit and veg intake was way off bc of portion.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of staying under the calorie target? Seems over most days. Also the wine seems v low calorie compared to what I log for wine.

I would also ditch the ready meals and replace with homemade veg curry or similar..
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are accurately calculating. There are so many foods here that are inaccurate that I actually double check some foods with other sources. Make sure you are logging in everything...a few servings of coffee cream or olive oil can make a huge difference. Make sure you aren't overestimating your daily burn, just because you work out an hour a day doesn't mean you're "active" if you sit on your butt for the rest of the day. Those are just a few suggestions :)
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh and watch your sodium intake and carb intake. Both can cause water retention. As well, how many days/week are you going over your calorie goals? Going over 500 calories 3 days a week pretty much nulls the other 4 days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Calories/nutrition are the number one thing when it comes to weight loss. You have to be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. If you're eating too few calories and exercising too much, you will end up causing metabolic damage.

Basically, your body will adjust to however many calories you are feeding it; feed it too few and it will slow the metabolism down to that level and stop burning at a higher efficiency.

With exercising, your body will become more efficient. Thus, the more exercising you do, the more you will have to do just to maintain the weight loss. Do an hour of cardio from day one? Eventually, you'll have to start doing more.

The good thing is that metabolic damage isn't the end. You can do a reverse diet, which will increase your metabolism and allow you to start burning more efficiently and be able to get back on track.
    Re the bold part above-this refers to your opinion on metabolic damage only? In a general sense this is not true. I am able to run faster lift heavier but I do not have to do more and more to maintain. I just have to eat about the same calories I burn, which is pretty darned easy.