napping problem

Options
rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
I'm doing great with my calories and appetite, but I have noticed lately that I'm becoming extremely nap-prone. I feel great and energetic for most of the day but just really want a nap sometimes and if I take one it can go for hours. I have always had a problem with excess napping, but for a while it went away when I started eating better. I think my protein and iron intake are the culprits, as I can be consistently very low in these areas.

I can't take iron supplements or multivitamins with iron in them, because they make me sick. I also hate leafy greens and I'm not a big fan of steak/hamburger. Lately I've been taking a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in the morning, but I really hate the taste and I'd rather use my sugar allotment on delicious chocolate. Any ideas how I can increase my protein and iron in a healthy way?

I guess I can start trying to choke down the foods I hate, but I'm hoping for another option.

Replies

• jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with naps as you do, despite eating better and exercising. Some days I'm fine.. and then on days like today, I end up taking a 3 hour nap (and I'm still tired now!) So I don't know what to do about that.

As far as protein goes, assuming you like it, eat a lot of chicken! I also make protein shakes when I need an extra boost of protein in my day. I usually add bananas and strawberries (which might be too much sugar & carbs for a lot of peoples' tastes). It ends up being about ~350 calories.
  • rebprest
    Options
    Good idea! Maybe I'll just mix my blackstrap in with it, and hope it cuts the horrific aftertaste down. What's your preferred protein powder?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So not sure if this is at all relevant but for me I just nap when I am bored. I don't mean nothing to do, there is always something to do, I mean bored, detached, uninterested in the distractions at hand.

Clearly diet and overall wellness has a lot to do with how tired you are, but just tossing it out there that maybe you might want to restructure the day a little to keep yourself engaged in the things you love at the times you would otherwise take naps.

Most days its a losing battle for me and I slip into a little nap time, but a great book, working outside or some exercise can sometimes do the trick too.
  • rebprest
    Options
    I have noticed it happens most often on the weekends when I don't have a schedule to stick to. It could be boredom as well, or my super comfortable giant beanbag chair. I'll try to approach it from both angles!
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use the vanilla soy protein powder from Whole Foods, but I honestly have no idea if it's better/worse than other options. I just know that it tastes good!
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I found I had a huge napping problem when I tried to sleep the recommended 6-8 hours a night. It turned out that for me this was just not enough. I now sleep 9-10 hours whenever possible and no longer need to take a nap (or live off of energy drinks/coffee!). Consider trying to get another hour or two of sleep a night if you can fit it in your schedule! The results may surprise you.
  • rebprest
    Options
    I do kind of wonder if I have sleep apnea since I often wake up with a tight chest. If so, I'm hoping weight loss will help make this go away. Lately I have been waking up before my alarm, or as soon as it gets light, which is basically unheard of for me, but maybe if I try going to bed earlier at night I'll be able to stay asleep another hour. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Waking up before your alarm is a good sign! I tend to have purposeful naps where I set an alarm for 30 minutes or an hour and then lay in bed. Then when the alarm goes off, I get up, have a glass of water... and carry on with my day. I find it helps me feel less stress and be able to study or focus more. Even if I can't sleep, I find even just laying down for 30 minutes helps me feel more energetic later on.
  • mooseboss
    mooseboss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with ongoing fatigue for years. What has helped the most is taking a daily b complex vitamin tablet. Wish I had started years ago...
  • lemonsNlimes
    lemonsNlimes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There are so many more places to get iron from than just red meat and leafy greens. WebMD actually has a list of iron-rich foods (http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods), most of them also having a good amount of protein too. Beans are my favorite source of iron and protein. A half of a cup of black beans has 19.5 grams of protein and 44% of the recommended amount of iron.

Also if you continue to feel tired throughout the day, after adding in more iron to your diet, see your doctor. The first step will probably be blood work, just a check to see if you're deficient in anything. And if you think you might have sleep apnea, I highly recommend having a sleep study done. The lack of oxygen from sleep apnea causes all sorts of problems. The sooner you get treatment for it, the better.
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    This sounds like my problem too. I work nights and often have 6-8 hours to kill between waking up and going to work. I usually end up so bored that I sleep most of that time away. I must start looking for distractions outside of the home.
  • pmwarrior
    pmwarrior Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would take an at home sleep study. Most are covered completely by insurance and they will help you find out if your evening sleep is proper. You could have sleep apnea, you could be a restless sleeper, you could snore. All of these things can make you tired during the day, even if you think you are getting proper sleep. And there is something can do for each of them to fix the problem. People have lost weight after solving their sleep problems. Ask your doctor about it.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    nuts have a lot of protein =)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    is napping bad?
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I found I had a huge napping problem when I tried to sleep the recommended 6-8 hours a night. It turned out that for me this was just not enough. I now sleep 9-10 hours whenever possible and no longer need to take a nap (or live off of energy drinks/coffee!). Consider trying to get another hour or two of sleep a night if you can fit it in your schedule! The results may surprise you.

^^
    This! 6-8 hours consistently is simply not enough sleep for me. I have found that, since adding 2-3 nights per week of 9-10 hours of sleep, I am far more energetic, desire naps less, and--frankly-- am less grumpy, lol!
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up taste for protein. Special K Protein Bars (10g 170 cals), Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (12g 80 cals), Oikos Frozen Greek Yogurt (7g 150 cals), Fiber One Chewy Protein Bars (7g 130 cals).

These come in a variety of flavors and I haven't found any that I don't like. I replaced ice cream with the Oikos Frozen Yogurt and can't even tell - the chocolate is sooo yummy. The Fiber One Chewy Caramel Nut Protein bar is like a Candy bar seriously!

Don't ever force yourself to eat stuff you don't like - it will only make you less likely to succeed. Little by little I replaced some bad items with good ones as I found things I liked. You'll surprise yourself but it means being adventurous and trying new things. Some you will like and others - well you will learn :)