Carb detox

Options
srv524
srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
Going to do a carb detox from 7/1 - 7/11 (last contest day weigh-in). Few others have done it and my recommendations were chicken, rice, steak, beans. Any other recommendations?

I don't like veggies but I'm going to try to incorporate more veggies. Was also told to stay away from fruits and sugary/salty foods.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    No. I'd eat my couch
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm shaking my head at you. What exactly is this "detox" going to accomplish?

Oh, and carbs are not the devil.

Rigger
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked rice was primarily a carb, but apparently in this instance it's lost its carbohydrates. ???

ETA: The staff edit made this look nonsensical, so I had to fix it...
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy, I think that anyone who cuts out a food group to loose weight it setting them selves up to fail.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You do understand that veggies, rice and beans all have carbs? The act of detoxing means you are removing the substance from your diet.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Anyhoo - Have fun storming the castle!

510289_o.gif
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    Yeah rice is a carb.
    step one learn what a carbohydrate is 4 cal per gram
    a protein is 4 cal per gram
    a fat is 9 can per gram

Balance it all and eat less then you need to eat to maintain your weight.
    That = weight loss guaranteed!
  • md523083
    md523083 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    it's not ridiculous if it's for contest prep. It's going to last him just a week or so. OP- sorry the wolves descended so quickly!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1403071_725694764128703_871933656_o.jpg
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I really understand what your goal is for this carb "detox." If you are trying to go low carb to drop some water weight for a weigh-in, that might help.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    it's not ridiculous if it's for contest prep. It's going to last him just a week or so. OP- sorry the wolves descended so quickly!

Well then can you explain how he is detoxing himself of carbs while eating them? Is that like a vaccine shot we'll give you some .. I don't know sounds pretty ridiculous to me. And losing for a contest is just as ridiculous.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Going to do a carb detox from 7/1 - 7/11 (last contest day weigh-in). Few others have done it and my recommendations were chicken, rice, steak, beans. Any other recommendations?

I don't like veggies but I'm going to try to incorporate more veggies. Was also told to stay away from fruits and sugary/salty foods.

If you're doing this to induce nutritional ketosis and change your eating lifestyle, fine. Be sure to cut the rice and beans too. If it's just to shed a few pounds for a contest, what's the point? Search for the keto groups. You'll find no support in the general forums.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    umm.. da faq? isn't rice and beans full of carbs?

I recommend almonds - in face any nut - peanuts are not nuts btw.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    350j62o.gif
  • chezwhat
    chezwhat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From the food recommendations you listed, it sounds like maybe you mean you're going to remove simple carbs from your diet, rather than try to cut all carbs out completely? That might not be a bad idea, because simple carbs are the ones usually found in processed foods like white flour and white sugar, corn syrup, and the like. Complex carbs, on the other hand, are an important part of healthy diets; it's never a good idea to cut protein, (complex) carbs, OR fat completely out of your diet--they all have their place in keeping you functioning. If you're going to continue to eat complex carbs-and you really should-then any whole grain (brown rice vs. white rice, whole wheat four, etc.) would be okay, as would legumes like beans. Good luck, and keep in healthy!
  • mrsthompson86
    mrsthompson86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Expect to have what is called the "carb flu"--- after about three days, you feel like you literally have the flu (headache, fatigue, weak, etc.)

I am thinking you are detoxing from more "unhealthy foods/sweets" verses healthier things like fruits and complex carbs. I go though times in my life where I eat like CCCRRAAAPPP, and I avoid sugar and starch--- It jump starts my diet, and I feel A LOT better.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy, I think that anyone who cuts out a food group to loose weight it setting them selves up to fail.

I was told this by a guy who did it the hard way - he cut out carbs completely and got injured quick - they provide energy and help in the protein breakdown he said.

regardless- I hate carbs in my diet - it's glue to my belly - as in it gives constipation so I try to avoid them.

He needs to eat a diet of meat, nuts, and have an intake of veggies only for carbs - that is what I would do - however that shouldn't be a lifestyle change, just temporary for his cut.
  • chezwhat
    chezwhat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    BTW, Sugary Lynx, most couches are just LOADED with carbs (and lots of fiber). ;0)
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are all referring to but this is a diet based on the carb backloading principle, not just a "fad diet". I know people who have done this type of fasting-detox diet and they've lost double-digit weight within a 2 week period. The principle being that carbs and sugar retain fats so by eliminating/reducing them this causes your metabolism to burn fats instead. I've actually done my research and read reports on this so it's not just a "oh hey i heard carbs were bad so i'll cut them out" thing.

And rice I'm keeping limited since I need some carbs because I work out 4-5 days a week, mostly cardio-based. So I want to keep some carbs in my system for energy expenditure while not wasting my glycogen resources.

And if you don't like that explanation, try another board. We're supposed to be supportive on these boards so try to understand first before condemning people.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    No. I'd eat my couch

I wanted to help at first but realized I read this wrong.

I've heard it typically takes at least two. Those big couches, that is