Just Signed Up for a 10k - How to Wake Up?

Options
VeryKatie
VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
I just signed up for a 10 km race on Sept. 28. I have a little over 12 weeks to train (from couch position) and have found a 12 week plan to follow to get me to the race! They post your time and full name on the internet for everyone to see.

Ideally, I'd like to start running in the mornings (every second one) so that it's out of the way and so I don't have to shower twice everyday. I think I will need to start waking up around 4:30 AM to do this since I'd like to be back home no later than 5:40 to get ready for work (for which I catch the bus at either 6:20 or 6:45 if I miss the first one).

I know I need to go to bed earlier - I'm going to try being read and in bed by no later than 10:00. But I'm a sleepy person and I'm very bad for hitting the snooze button 1 - 4 times every morning (I know, when I think about it logically, I can tell I'm silly but in the mornings, it's a different story).

If you're a morning work-outer but didn't start off that way, how did you motivate yourself into getting up? Did you have any tricks?

I'm thinking I might have to move my alarm clock across the room as a start. But I could honestly see my grumpy, sleepy, non-logical morning self getting up to turn it off and then getting back into bed.

Any tips you could give would be greatly appreciated! Plus it might be fun to see what kind of things people had to do to themselves to achieve their fitness goals :)

Thanks!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Don't hit snooze.

*shrug*

I mean - just tell yourself you have to get up. You'd be surprised what you can do if you don't give yourself any choice in the matter.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Set your clothes by your bed and start getting dressed with your eyes closed. You don't even need to be awake till after a couple miles. Do that warm up stuff in your sleep.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Set your clothes and sneakers out the night before.
    I do allow myself ONE snooze button push on morning run days. That's it.
    It really is about NOT giving yourself a choice. If I give myself the choice between more sleep and going for a run - which do you think wins? I just can NOT give myself that choice.
    And practice - the more times you do it, the easier it gets.... kinda.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I agree. You just can't give yourself a choice. It's the same way when you get up for work. You don't have a choice so you get up and go.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    work out in the evening instead.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    like others have said, set up your clothes the night before. prepare everything from having your ipod charged to having your sneakers untied.

coffee addict? i know i am. i need to have a cup of coffee before i head out. if you have a programmable coffee pot, set it up to go start brewing five minutes before your alarm, so that the smell of coffee will entice you to wake up.

turn your alarm ringtone from an annoying buzzer to a motivating song. i'm a fan of "Eye Of The Tiger," but any jam will do.

and set your alarm 10 minutes sooner than normal, and adjust the snooze to go off after 5 minutes, so you can still hit it twice, and you'll mentally feel like you should start to get up.

and try and remember that you want to perform well on race day. that should be a good incentive to wake up early.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'd run in the evenings. Not a morning person at all.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was a lot heavier but I ran 3 seconds every half mile every day and just increased. If you are not 300 lbs like I was I am sure you could do more. Run in intervals. If you can run a 5k you can run a marathon. (I have only done a half) Remember speed is not your goal. Finishing is. It feels amazing to cross that finish line. Good luck I am cheering for you :)
  • 491emmah
    491emmah Posts: 3
    Options
    Here's how I got my sorry butt out of bed to go running.

Get your stuff ready and hanging up so you can see it when you open your eyes, then get your trainers on and get out there. If it's the first time you're doing it, you will feel excited, or will have in mind the reason you're doing it in the first place.

Then, all the while you are out there, tell yourself how good it's going to feel to get under that shower when you get in, and how glad you will be when you've done todays run.

In the following days when it might not seem as new and shiny, and you're tempted to roll over an d go back to sleep and do the run later, ask yourself 'when was the last time you ever regretted going out for that morning run?'. Chances are, the answer is never. However, when you're tired at the end of a long day and you have to get that run done because you hit the snooze button in the morning you will wish you had got the run done in the morning.

Get some tunes set up for your headphones, or better still- think of the joy of seeing and hearing nature waking up at that lovely quiet time of day when the air is clean.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It comes down to having the self discipline to do what you know is needed. You can set all of the alarms you want ... arrange for morning running partners ... promise yourself rewards ... lay your clothes out ... but until you decide to do the work needed to honor the commitment you've made none of that matters.
  • chrishunt444
    Options
    I do my best to work out at 5:00am, but it is difficult. My mind always goes through every excuse before I get up. It never gets any easier so you just have to do it. I find it useful to get everything ready the night before, and also to spend a few minutes visualising what I am going to do in the morning; perhaps mentally visualise your running route, how you are going to warm up, what the weather will be like in the morning etc...
    There will never be the perfect day to get up at 5:00am - you just have to get on with it!
    Good luck!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Very motivating! I oddly felt like getting up this morning but hadn't set my alarm early enough since I was up until 1:00 for Canada Day celebrations. But I will use your advice starting Friday!

Luckily, I have softball this evening so no need to be non-sweaty for that! I'm planning to do my run right after work!

On the plus side, it was beautiful walking to the bus this morning. I can tell the morning temperatures will be way better than the afternoon temperatures for running in.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    FYI - Running before softball - not as good an idea as I thought. I couldn't move fast enough (tired legs) to get on base for the rest of the evening haha. Oh well, now I know better for next week.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One advantage to incorporating getting your butt out of bed early during your training runs is it makes it easier on race day. Most races are in the morning meaning you have to get up early, get to the race site in time to warm up and stage for the start, etc. I have a four miler tomorrow morning that starts at 7:30 ... factor in the 45-50 minute drive there plus time to find a parking spot ... time to warm up so I don't run on cold legs ... enough time for a bathroom break if necessary .... so out the door between 5:45 and 6:00 ... out of bed 5:15 ish so I'm not rushing out the door ... all on a holiday.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    In the following days when it might not seem as new and shiny, and you're tempted to roll over an d go back to sleep and do the run later, ask yourself 'when was the last time you ever regretted going out for that morning run?'. Chances are, the answer is never. However, when you're tired at the end of a long day and you have to get that run done because you hit the snooze button in the morning you will wish you had got the run done in the morning.
    You just can't give yourself a choice. It's the same way when you get up for work. You don't have a choice so you get up and go.

Programmable coffee pot (for the future once I have one haha), switching to only a 5 minute snooze, and prepping my gear the night before.

All of this is wonderful advice and it worked for my first run! Thanks, all of you!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    this is a good thread.. i wake up early all the time ..usually before the sun comes up ..but moving my rearend is the hard part ..ill do some domestic chores and read the news, facebook, catch up on politics and answer emails .. lollygag around the house ..all till around ten am and then i finally start moving.. i keep telling myself to get my workouts done early and i never do. once in the last week i did and i think that was the first time ever.. just once 630am starts my phone starts ringing and then my day is go go go
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Going to bed earlier really helps as well
    I try to get up at 5 to go to the gym
    The only time when I'm automatically up is if I'm in bed by 9/10 and then I feel so refreshed in the morning
    I get someone to text me to make sure I'm up and that really helps as I feel like I'm letting her down if I'm not up lol
    I really prefer working out in the morning because it gets it out of the way and you feel great for the rest of the day
    Good luck!!