Can you work out in the morning before a colonoscopy?

Options
I wish I didn't have this question, but I'm having a colonoscopy next week and I wondered if I could do a Body Pump class in the morning before the procedure. I was planning to go, but someone said that it may not be a good idea because of not really eating the day before.

Anybody been through one that could help?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I would call the doctor's office to check.
    It would probably be o.k.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have not had this experience, but my husband has...he was pretty miserable after drinking that stuff....like, pooping all night
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. I've been through a colonoscopy and the prep work takes a LOT out of you.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If your drinking bowel cleanser before you go then I wouldn't think you'd feel up to it but other than that, no reason why not.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I would guess that yoga would be fine but I wouldn't do anything even remotely strenuous. Your body will have lost a lot of fluid and electrolytes. It would not be a good idea to do a tough workout!
    Sorry!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    You can't eat or drink after the cleanse and before the colonoscopy, so no. At least it wouldn't be a very smart thing to do. I'm pretty sure you'll wake up that morning and not want to do it anyway. Sh!tting for hours (literally) is not a good time.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

Well...

No.

:bigsmile:
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Probably not a good idea to lift weights.....

Sooooo looking forward to this. More humiliation from turning 50.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Probably not a good idea to lift weights.....

Sooooo looking forward to this. More humiliation from turning 50.

I had this humilation a couple years ago at 22.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    LOl, after you've done the prep, whether or not you can workout will not be an issue. You will not feel like it AT ALL.

When the day arrives, you'll understand. :)

But call the office and ask. :)

...and be glad you made it to 50 without having had to do it. Not everyone is so lucky, KWIM?
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Actually it is not that bad.
    You will get a sedative and whatever you remember will be more like the remembrance of a dream.
    And it is not really humiliating.
    Just be thankful for the opportunity :-)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Actually it is not that bad.
    You will get a sedative and whatever you remember will be more like the remembrance of a dream.
    And it is not really humiliating.
    Just be thankful for the opportunity :-)
    Agreed! I hope we all didn't give the impression that the test itself was rough. It's not a pleasant thing to go for, but not a big deal.

It's the prep. The night before. That's the thing that sucks.

But don't cancel or anything because you're worried about the test. I hope we didn't scare you off!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As some have said, the prep is worse than the procedure.
    My exam has always been in the morning, so there was no time to exercise before.
    After, you won't feel up to par for a while.
    I don't think it would do any harm, but I'd take a day off.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,321 Member
    Options
    Just went through the colonoscopy deal 3-4 weeks ago. The procedure was a piece of cake. The prep wasn't nearly as awful as I had feared from all those who had gone before me told me it would be. But yeaaaah....Body Pump will take on an entirely new meaning if you try to go do that class after all the laxatives you've had to ingest leading up to the procedure!!! :laugh::laugh::bigsmile::laugh::laugh:
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Just went through the colonoscopy deal 3-4 weeks ago. The procedure was a piece of cake. The prep wasn't nearly as awful as I had feared from all those who had gone before me told me it would be. But yeaaaah....Body Pump will take on an entirely new meaning if you try to go do that class after all the laxatives you've had to ingest leading up to the procedure!!! :laugh::laugh::bigsmile::laugh::laugh:
    Did you get the pills? My dad got the pills. Everyone I know who gets the pills has any easier time, so I'm totally curious.

Why doesn't everyone get the pills?! I don't know. I was so pissed when I found out about the pills. Next time, I'm asking for them.
  • ScaryMaryOne
    ScaryMaryOne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid that the purge might not quite be over! Maybe a good idea to skip that day??
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wait for the prep, Sweetie. Your body will *pump* all right.... (!) On the plus side, it's the best sleep ever.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Don't do that! You can't drink anything prior to surgery, and I am certain they won't want you more dehydrated than you already are.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Just posed this question to my husband who has to get them every few years to monitor his Crohn's... his comment, I quote, "Considering you can't even drink water before the procedure, it's probably not the best idea"
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My dear, you will not want to risk the chance of liquid poo running down your leg.

And you'll be pretty empty, so I do not recommend it.

Before my colonoscopy, I did not even want to get in the car.