Put off buying gym membership...

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
I was considering buying a gym membership with my friend, so we could work out together which helps with motivation. I went on a tour with one of the staff and they were showing me how to use the machines etc, protocols.

And then something put me right off... About 8 boys around 11-14 years old were just stood around a machine talking to each other with one person just sat on the machine on his phone doing nothing. The person on the machine was there for about 4 minutes.

Overall, the gym was clean and has everything I'd want to use. Free weights, machines, treadmills etc and this other zone which is for core workouts or something.

But, the people sitting around on machines and standing about doing nothing but blocking the place up put me off. Is this the sort of gym I should buy a membership at? There are others, but they are further away and a little more expensive?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that there is a direct correlation between monthly membership cost and the number of kids that just hangout.

Pay more, have fewer kids around screwing around. I'd pay more, if I felt the loiterers were a problem.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be people who go to the gym to do nothing.

Next time just ask them if they're done. They will get up and go somewhere else if they aren't doing anything.

As long as the gym is clean, the weights get put back, and the price is fair then go ahead and buy it.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why would that stop you? Say "excuse me, can I work in there?" And you should be good :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it also depends on the time of day you go. kids aren't at the gym at 6am. and if they are, they're probably hardcore.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be people who go to the gym to do nothing.

Next time just ask them if they're done. They will get up and go somewhere else if they aren't doing anything.

As long as the gym is clean, the weights get put back, and the price is fair then go ahead and buy it.

This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I was considering buying a gym membership with my friend, so we could work out together which helps with motivation. I went on a tour with one of the staff and they were showing me how to use the machines etc, protocols.

And then something put me right off... About 8 boys around 11-14 years old were just stood around a machine talking to each other with one person just sat on the machine on his phone doing nothing. The person on the machine was there for about 4 minutes.

Overall, the gym was clean and has everything I'd want to use. Free weights, machines, treadmills etc and this other zone which is for core workouts or something.

But, the people sitting around on machines and standing about doing nothing but blocking the place up put me off. Is this the sort of gym I should buy a membership at? There are others, but they are further away and a little more expensive?
    Kids will move on if you ask to use equipment. It's rare that a kid will stay on equipment if an adult asks for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm confused. You weren't waiting to use the machine, right? So... someone sitting on a machine that nobody needed is a reason you are considering not going to a gym.

Well.

I see.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm confused. You weren't waiting to use the machine, right? So... someone sitting on a machine that nobody needed is a reason you are considering not going to a gym.

Well.

I see.

:drinker: I think that just about covers it....
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that there is a direct correlation between monthly membership cost and the number of kids that just hangout.

Pay more, have fewer kids around screwing around. I'd pay more, if I felt the loiterers were a problem.

This isn't necessarily true. Lifetime is a perfect example of this, at least in Vegas and especially during the summer. I would ask for a week or two week pass before you commit to get a feel for the place but honestly if you ask them they should move.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Teenagers are scary creatures. I'd stay away. Lock yourself in your room. Buy a gun. Call the police. Build a bunker. Shiver.
  • dbmata
    Options

This isn't necessarily true. Lifetime is a perfect example of this, at least in Vegas and especially during the summer. I would ask for a week or two week pass before you commit to get a feel for the place but honestly if you ask them they should move.

That's why I said I've noticed, denoting personal observation. There are always going to be places where people have more money than sense. Las Vegas and Miami being two of them.
  • lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd say the worst part about going to the gym is trying to find parking at around peak hour times. You'll see a ton of people sitting in their cars chillin' on their phones with their car lights on while the rest of us are trying to find a spot. I've noticed this at almost every 24h location I've been to
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Once you get into your groove of your workout, you will be so focused on your training that you will not notice what others are or are not doing. It can be irritating at times to know you will need a machine and see that the person/people on it are not using it for it's purpose... sort of using it to sit and chat like the table at Starbucks. I get it. But, consider this.....sometimes you will have to share a machine with a complete stranger and take turns doing sets of "whatever". That's just the way life is at the gym. It's not a big deal. We all work around each other.

There's better reasons not to get a gym membership than a few kids sitting/standing around..... even not wanting to.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Teenagers are scary creatures. I'd stay away. Lock yourself in your room. Buy a gun. Call the police. Build a bunker. Shiver.

The only thing that would have been worse is if they were teenage girls. Brrrrr.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options

I DO NOT understand this. Its like I just read something word for word but it was in a different language, so it didn't sink in.

If teenagers standing around scared you off, I guess me grunting and lifting heavy weights would just terrify you.

Sorry I can`t be of any help.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

That's definitely a great reason to stay out of the gym and avoid working out. Like my personal trainer Definite Procrastinator would say, "always allow prepubescent boys to make decisions about how you live your life."
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options

Well.

I see.

Exactly
  • dbmata
    Options

The only thing that would have been worse is if they were teenage girls. Brrrrr.

I'm dying over here. Neighbors have a teenage daughter. I think I've now catalogued every *****y/angry face known to man.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't allow children. I would ask the staff about their policy about children working out. Also if they are just sitting around at the machine, I am sure if you asked to use it they would move. If its a nice gym and clean, don't let the children put you off unless you REALLY HATE KIDS and can't stand it :P
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Like O.M.G!!!!!!!