Tips for staying stocked with healthy foods on a budget!

Options
My fiance and I both enjoy whole foods like lean meats, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, Eggs, non fat greek yogurt and things like that, our diet is really great with very few processed or packaged foods...butttt we are constantly out of produce and, and it is SOOO annoying to go the grocery store like twice a week sometimes. Plus all this fresh produce is getting so expensive! I am a big couponer, but there are rarely coupons for produce. I always look for the sales, but there aren't always great deals on fresh fruits and veggies. Its driving me crazyyyy. There is no way I will be going back to the processed junk after such a clean diet, but I can see how it could be tempting with all the deals and cheaper food;)

Anyone have any tips out there for stocking up and saving money on whole foods :)

Replies

• nikkihecks
    nikkihecks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best thing about summer is the amount of farmers markets! Also Aldi has a pretty great price on produce!

Though if you eat a lot of it I'd try to get the money together for a membership to a warehouse store like Costco or SAMs clib.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi close by?

They have cheap produce.

Also, I know it's not fresh, but I get bags of steamable frozen veggies from Aldi ten or more at a time for $1 each.

I go through them quickly.

Onions last a long time.

I do usually grocery shop 2-3 times a week.
  • ramandagetsfit
    ramandagetsfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing about Aldi. They just built one really close to us so it is really nice. We have also been getting coupons in the mail from them for $5 off a thirty dollar purchase.... you may be able to find a similar one one their website but I am not sure.
  • pinkrod
    pinkrod Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We put a garden in our backyard, we have tons of fresh veggies every summer and then we can or freeze the extra. We also set up blueberry bushes and strawberry patch. Its a lot of work, but definitely pays off in the end!
  • MN_HGirl
    MN_HGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest Aldis!

The veggies are not refrigerated when in the store so I go on the days that they have been delivered and use them up within a few days. Since I started going to Aldis I have greatly reduced my weekly grocery bill and waste (since I buy less but go more often).

They have weekly specials on the produce and I like to buy peppers and onions to cut up and freeze for stir frying.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make a nice bean stew in the crockpot using frozen veggies.
    Also, you can buy frozen fruits.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I just recently went to Albertsons and didn't vary much from the ad.

I spent 135.00 had a cart full of food and saved 106.00

Buy 1 get two free on chicken breast
    buy 1 get two free pork chops
    buy 1 get two free steak
    99 cents a lb for chicken legs
    Turkey bacon 2 for 6

Asparagus 2 for 5
    5 pack of fresh corn 2 for 5
    Cantalope 2 for 3.
    baby broccoli florets 2 for 4
    5 lbs of carrots for 2.99
    1 package of sweet mini peppers 2.99

Frozen veggies 10/10

2 dozen eggs free

Marinade buy 1 get one free

there were a few other things in there as well but they were meant for my son.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Another Aldi fan here.

We get a lot of produce there and at the local ethnic/natural food store...not a fancy, trendy one, but the type that reeks of incense and has people at a table in the corner ripping up branches of herbs and filling containers with spices.

Generally we just shop on Sunday and prep a lot of produce immediately for use in the next 2-3 days, and still have some left for later on in the week. We tend to plan our meals around which produce items need to be used right away and which will be fine later in the week. For example, we're eating lots of strawberries right now because they were cheap but slightly overripe. The nectarines will be fine even in 4 days from now.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't like frozen veggies, but on a budget, it's easy to stock up on them and keep them in the freezer. I'd recommend peas, mixed vegetables, edemame, corn, broccoli, and whatever you fancy. I like the steam packs that have mixed vegetables with seasonings in them. One of my favorites is a backyard potato blend. It has peppers and onions with potatoes and goes really good with any kind of meat.

Stick to veggies that are in season if you want fresh because those tend to be cheapest. Soups are also really good and you can tend to find deals on soups any time of year. Stew mixes would be another recommendation because those aren't limited to what you can do with them and they're supper yummy. Plus is you make it in bulk you have meals for several days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I go 2-3 times a week. It takes very little time, since I know where everything is and I only have to go to the produce section, usually.

I buy some frozen veggies, too.

I never understand all the talk about the expense. I spend less now than I used to. I know everyone else isn't lying and just consider myself lucky. Maybe I was spending too much before, lol. Lucky Charms and Dry Roasted peanuts aren't cheap! :)
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I live in Europe right next to Germany. Aldis is ofcourse the best store to buy from.
    I used to buy veggies and meats etc in bulk but some would spoil and it would be wasted.

I now go once per day to the store and buy exactly what I need for my meal.
    If you have the time for that it really does save money since your buying smaller amounts and nothing gets wasted.
    Also here we have alot of fresh markets, when i lived in dallas they would advertise for some in the areas. You will be surprised at home much cheaper it is there than at stores. Aldis does not have a huge variety of veggies and fruits but walmart is pretty low on there veggies and meats
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, growing fruits and vegetables yourself is a real money saver, if you are able to.

In the short term, try to buy fruits and vegetables when they are in season as they will be cheaper and better quality.
    I'm not sure where you live, but this is a UK site for fruit/veg in season http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/
    I'm sure you can find a similar site or list for your country.

For nuts and dried fruits I found out that in my supermarket you can get the same items in different packaging and cheaper in the baking section rather than the fruit or snack section! Seems ridiculous as they are exactly the same, but it's true!

And with most things, you can buy in bulk and then make a batch of something like ratatouille or bolognese which can be stored in the fridge or freezer for future meals.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    buy in bulk at BJS.....they have some good prices and look for coupons
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Aldi is good :)
    local veg stores are really normally good as well :)
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi check that out!! They have really good produce prices! Sometimes it can be iffy on the quality, but most of the time it's good!! :)
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are there any farmer's markets near you? There are 3 near me and one of them especially is incredibly cheap! I really wish I had a photo to share, but the amount of produce I can get from there for $25 is staggering.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I use coupons for my staple items: pasta, rice, drinks, ect, and segway my savings into my produce and meat/dairy costs. I've been getting a lot of stuff for next to nothing, and can afford to splurge on my produce and meat!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My roommate and I have a weekly CSA (community supported agriculture) basket. It's packed with local, seasonal, super yummy fresh veggies, we almost always have to have a big feast the day before our next one arrives because it's so much!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, now is the time to buy things in season and you can freeze them for later as well. Also, I know it's more about the veggies here but don't forget about bulk grains ($1 and up per pound) and potatoes (I paid $3.50 for #10). Both healthy, cheap, and filling. Unless you're on some no or low carb diet for whatever reason then nevermind.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I second the farmer's market idea. Right now where I live we have a farmer's market every Thursday going on until September. If you look around I'm sure you can find a farmer's market event near you. There are some that are only early mornings or on weekends so find what suits you.