UK users - protein bar recommendations

Options
lauren_jb
lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
I've found a few threads like this from US posters but none in the UK.

Does anyone have recommendations for protein bars? I want some for after a work out. At the moment I'm buying them from boots but I'm going to bankrupt myself....

Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've found a few threads like this from US posters but none in the UK.

Does anyone have recommendations for protein bars? I want some for after a work out. At the moment I'm buying them from boots but I'm going to bankrupt myself....

Thanks!

How much are you spending, what amount of protein and other macros are you looking from the bar, what brand do you buy from boots and how much are they.

I got into the Atkins bars because they have reasonable protein and good fibre but only bought them when tescos had them on offer
  • lauren_jb
    lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Around £2 a go. Just seems a bit excessive so thought I would buy a job lot online. I've had a few different ones depending what are in stock, just avoiding anything with creatine in it and trying to limit the calories to 250.

MFP is telling me to have 15% of my calories from protein (70g) but the lifting program I'm on recommended 30%

One thing I don't need help with is carbs so probably Atkins is a good shout.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use CNP pro flapjack bars , a good mid priced bar imho. Usually buy 2 box's (1 choc 1 lemon) of 24 from fleabay at £34.99.

There's better bars out there but like you've found out they can be expensive! Just watch out for bars loaded with sugars for there carb source
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For £2.00 you can buy a pack of Tesco value chunky chicken 240 g

Half a pack is 138 calories and 30 g protein which should be plenty so works out at £1.00 per day

ETA the atkins bars are around £2.00 a go as well
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not sure you'll find much in the way of choice if your looking for a low carb bar ( though I've not searched for one!) I spent quite a while on the bay comparing them and they were all high on carbs ( oats being the main ingredient ) I've tried a few others , xl nutrition being one but wasn't so keen on the taste....

@Chris , it use to be £1.85 not so long ago! Still get through 2 packs a week though....
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any decent ones in the shops, I suggest buying some decent protein powder and making some yourself, there are so many recipes online and you will be able to control calories and macros.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any decent ones in the shops, I suggest buying some decent protein powder and making some yourself, there are so many recipes online and you will be able to control calories and macros.

^^^ was just about to say this but someone else got there first.... and totally agree with the controlling what goes into it comment
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Theres a company online that I've used once called Protein Pick & Mix (or something like that!)

Loads of different options, have a look at them :smile:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    only low carb ones I am aware of is quest and they certainly aren't cheap.

http://www.predatornutrition.com/en/quest-nutrition-quest-bar-12-bars/

if you want to make your own you need to get some vita fiber

http://www.musclefood.com/vitafiber-sweetner-700ml.html

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2013/10/homemade-quest-bars-using-vitafiber/

personally I use
    http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-snacks/protein-bars/whey-oat-crisp-flapjack.html

but I wait for them to be on sale (which is every month pretty much)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sadly they are all fairly pricey. Whey shakes work out much cheaper.

If you need something on the go then there are some higher protein cereal bars which are cheaper - 9Bars aren't too bad at around 200cal and 9g protein or Nakd Crunch bars are only 106 cal and 6 g protein and both work out around 50p each.

I like the Nestle power bars and get them when on offer at H&B so they work out around £1.25 each.

I also have Decathlon praline protein bars which are around 200 cal and 17g protein. They are just £4.99 for a pack of 5, but as there are no stores near me I have to add delivery costs into that.
  • neil929
    neil929 Posts: 9
    Options
    For £2.00 you can buy a pack of Tesco value chunky chicken 240 g

Half a pack is 138 calories and 30 g protein which should be plenty so works out at £1.00 per day

ETA the atkins bars are around £2.00 a go as well

IMO Great shout lots of this in my diary really filling too