Does anybody juice?

Options

Replies

• shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My gf juiced for awhile. She tried to get me to do it. I tried some of the juices and they didnt taste that bad.
    Costs a fortune though!

I honestly do not see the appeal though of ditching whole food for juice. I think its another gimmick personally.
    In things like Apples the good stuff is in the skin. I watched a documentary on BBC awhile back and this guy actually peels his apples, eats the skin and throws the rest away. He munches that down daily with mixed berries which have a very low carb count.
    Your also missing out on all the fibre if you ditch whole food.
    Is there anything wrong with juicing in a balanced diet? No not at all but i think there are too many folks who just jump on the band wagon thinking this will be this magic weight loss technique etc.
    I watched Fat Sick and Nearly dead and it seemed to me that both of those guys lived pretty unhealthy lives. They probably could have just fixed their diets and ate healthy and still got good results! Normally when you are in the situation they are in though you resort to extreme measures and any measures if followed consistently will usually work.

I drink lots of fruit and veg smoothies though! Like you (OP) i dont care much for breakfast so i usually have a shake!
    Egg whites, protein powder, fruit, oats and nuts are my fav for breakfast shake.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My gf juiced for awhile. She tried to get me to do it. I tried some of the juices and they didnt taste that bad.
    Costs a fortune though!

I honestly do not see the appeal though of ditching whole food for juice. I think its another gimmick personally.
    In things like Apples the good stuff is in the skin. I watched a documentary on BBC awhile back and this guy actually peels his apples, eats the skin and throws the rest away. He munches that down daily with mixed berries which have a very low carb count.
    Your also missing out on all the fibre if you ditch whole food.
    Is there anything wrong with juicing in a balanced diet? No not at all but i think there are too many folks who just jump on the band wagon thinking this will be this magic weight loss technique etc.
    I watched Fat Sick and Nearly dead and it seemed to me that both of those guys lived pretty unhealthy lives. They probably could have just fixed their diets and ate healthy and still got good results! Normally when you are in the situation they are in though you resort to extreme measures and any measures if followed consistently will usually work.

I drink lots of fruit and veg smoothies though! Like you (OP) i dont care much for breakfast so i usually have a shake!
    Egg whites, protein powder, fruit, oats and nuts are my fav for breakfast shake.

Aye, I know I miss out on the fibre, but I doubt I could bring myself to eat that much whole fruit and veg in one sitting!

I have for now only replaced breakfast with a juice, I sometimes have one in the evening, but it's not a meal replacement, I just have one to quell the sweet tooth I get sometimes.

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead myself - was interesting and one of the key videos I watched on deciding to give it another, proper go. I admire those guys and what they achieved is amazing, but I doubt I could cut out food for juice completely, I would be constantly hungry, which would mean I am constantly miserable!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    I know people who juice the whole fruit - ie things like apples and pears and peaches with skin on.

Not oranges, pineapples,bananas etc of course - but you don't eat the peel of those when you eat the fruit whole either.

I guess it makes the juice a bit thicker but you could try it OP if you wanted to have a higher fibre intake.
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt be a big fan of juicing, I considered it as I like blending veg for a smoothie, but it seems juicing just removes the fibre and a lot of the good stuff. I think the whole crazy weight loss with juicing is down to the fact that its a liquid starvation diet, if youre replacing all your meals with juice. No wonder people pile back on weight when they inevitably fail to keep it up, because its just not realistic. Theres also other things you miss out on, like hot food (even though I mostly eat raw), chewing, and how do you enjoy the simple things like sharing food with friends at a restaurant?

Its good for an addition to your diet, but not really realistic for people who want to do juice fasts instead of actually eating.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I bought this expensive juicer a few months ago, used it once, and am ready to sell it. If I want juice, I find it simpler (less chopping and easier clean up) to just blend it up in the Vitamix and strain it through a nut milk bag. I don't juice for meal replacement. Just for a beverage. One of my favorites is cucumber, carrot, Granny Smith apple and cantaloupe.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You're running out of energy because you have no protein in your breakfast.
    If you want to juice that's fine, but there is really no point to it. You can get all the nutrients from the veggies by eating them. And juicing full time is an aweful idea.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I enjoy juices on a regular basis to supplement my nutritional needs. At home I go through a wide variety of veggies and still get most of the fiber benefit from using a NutriBullet. I'll also buy green juices from Whole Foods, Nekter that's gone through a centrifugal juicer.

One advice column on juicing that I found very helpful is the following:
    http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/05/juicing-mistakes/
  • tanyamartha
    Options
    I just merely fond of juicing..My favorite one is beet root with ginger...I just love it's taste..I also add some oranges,pomegranate and pineapple too.... :):)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I just merely fond of juicing..My favorite one is beet root with ginger...I just love it's taste..I also add some oranges,pomegranate and pineapple too.... :):)

Beets - I need to try one with beets!
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Beets are a great addition!
    They really sweeten the mix (I used to use kale, so needed something to get the 'bitter' out).
    Just be forewarned that your fluid output (lol) may be red/pink... my brother was really alarmed when he first juiced beets and thought he had a deadly disease when he went to the bathroom ;)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Beets are a great addition!
    They really sweeten the mix (I used to use kale, so needed something to get the 'bitter' out).
    Just be forewarned that your fluid output (lol) may be red/pink... my brother was really alarmed when he first juiced beets and thought he had a deadly disease when he went to the bathroom ;)

It's a good job you mentioned the whole fluid output thing. I probably would have been running to the hospital if it came out pink!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    You're running out of energy because you have no protein in your breakfast.
    If you want to juice that's fine, but there is really no point to it. You can get all the nutrients from the veggies by eating them. And juicing full time is an aweful idea.

OP is not planning to juice full time.

Can't see how it matters if she eats protein at breakfast or later in the day, given many people don't eat breakfast at all and do just fine.

I don't do home juicing but I do make home made soups - could just get my nutrients from veggies by eating them, but I like soup.
    And really, juicing vegetables or making vegetable soup is basically the same thing, but juice is taken cold and soup is taken hot.
  • pinkgirlzoe
    pinkgirlzoe Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have juiced and it was good for added vitamins but couldn't live on it. i know use juiceplus
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My brother would do that for a week at a time and was pretty serious about it. Wasn't getting any noticeable results except for some benefits in the restroom.

My wife turned him on to calorie counting and fitness pal and he hasn't been juicing since, and is pretty happily losing weight enjoying all the foods he likes.

I see nothing wrong with making a juice shake to go along with your normal diet, I think it's silly and un maintainable to only juice.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    hhlun.gif
  • paperpudding
    Options
    ^ what are you saying No to exactly?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

I have one of these smexy babies

15124275_201404241440.jpg
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback people.

Been juicing for a week now, and have decided to just stick with juicing for breakfast and sometimes in the evening. I doubt I could handle juicing for a full week, or completely replacing food with it. I just enjoy food too much!
  • _EndGame_
    Options

I have one of these smexy babies

15124275_201404241440.jpg

Mines a Philips Vivo (I think thats what its called) really easy to operate and clean!
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple juicing takes the fiber out of the fruits and vegetables. Besides I thought juicing is illegal. :)