What do you eat when it's too hot to eat?

Options
mom2aeris
mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
Just wanted to hear about some summertime recipes that you love. I want to keep stove/oven usage to a minimum. I do have a crockpot, and I have been seriously thinking about digging that out.

So ... What do you eat when it's 90 and humid?

Replies

• sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use my grill a lot in the summer. That way I don't have to heat up my house. I grill meat as well as veggies. Sliced squash and onions with a light brush of olive oil, salt and pepper- totally yummy. What's also nice is I can grill extra to have for lunch or supper the next night. ????
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with watermelon, feta and balsamic vinegar! Bean salad, coleslaw, fruit salad, salad salad salad

Anything on the bbq to keep the heat outside (salmon, kebabs, sausages, steak, mushrooms, peppers, onions, shrimp)

Tuna wraps, cottage cheese with cucumber and a ton of black pepper.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • mom2aeris
    Options
    Omg, tuna sounds outstanding right now... *drool*
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Big dinner salads. And cole slaw of all types. Tonight we had a red cabbage/chow-chow slaw. Yum!
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i second watermelon feta salad -- also just all sides type salads: roasted beets ( buy them already roasted), couscous salad, egg salad... anything cold! we had 88% humidity today... i feel your pain.
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Originally a dessert, but for lunch when it's hot and humid: Red Fruit Jelly ("Rote Grütze").

And I second wraps and salads.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    tuna salad
    sandwhichs
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    All kind of salads; greek, beans, edamame, etc! Cauliflower rice sushi, gaspacho with some protein, sandwiches off all kind . Bbq is great option too or something that's quick on the stove like a sauté, Smoothies
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    We don't turn the oven on all summer ......

I batch cook on the stovetop in the morning before it gets too hot ...... some for dinner & most portioned for the freezer.

We use the slowcooker on workdays. We use a George Foreman grill inside for quick meals. On the weekends, we grill meats, veggies & fruit outdoors. Once a week I get a roast chicken or coldcuts for "sammiches" with coleslaw or a large salad.

And when all else fails, we call for a pizza :drinker:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo Bean Salad

Garbanzo beans, rinsed.
    Cherry or Grape tomatoes, cut in half.
    Avocado, cut into small pieces
    Cucumber, cut into small pieces.
    Italian dressing.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Meals to Dip

Cucumber
    Baby carrots
    Celery
    String cheese
    Deli meats

Dip into either hummus or tzatziki

I'm lazy with hummus and use store bought. But I make the tzatziki.

One cup plain Greek yogurt
    Lots of lemon juice
    Grated cucumber (about 1/8 of a cucumber)
    Salt
    Garlic powder
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I will batch cook chicken, burgers, chili, and freeze. Also cold salads, slaws, uncle bens precooked rices. Lots of fruit salads, cold meats.
    Crock pot would def be a good idea. Pulled pork or chicken.

Happy cooking
  • dandee1307
    dandee1307 Posts: 15
    Options
    Lots of fruit. Also veggies, raw, cut up and sliced. I dip them into quark, or joghurt based dips. And one of my favourite pasta recipes during summer:

Any type of pasta
    Kenia Beans, cooked in pan (can take a bit of colour)
    onion, sliced
    Kidney beans
    Salt and Pepper

Mix the pasta with the rest and on top add a bit of cottage cheese (fresh out of the fridge) and a bit of parmesan. The mix of warm and cold is great during heat
  • dandee1307
    dandee1307 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love Rote Grütze. you can also get them in green and yellow. Amazing food. Kids love it too
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love cold soups. I make cucumber, squash, cauliflower, broccoli. . . just about any vegetable can be turned into a cold soup and it have practically no calories. Oh yes, and almost forgot to mention my very favorite, Minty Sweet Pea Soup. Just ice up some onion, saute it in very little olive oil, add a clove of garlic and saute until fragrant. Add a hand full of fresh mint leaves (I use spearmint from the garden), a bag of frozen sweet peas and enough vegetable or chicken broth to almost cover. Cook on the stovetop (only takes a few minutes) until everything is softened. Pour into blender and blend until creamy smooth. Refrigerate until ready to eat. I like it hot too.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to hear about some summertime recipes that you love. I want to keep stove/oven usage to a minimum. I do have a crockpot, and I have been seriously thinking about digging that out.

I live in Scotland so it's not a problem we have ;-)
  • 1959sunshine
    1959sunshine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fresh Vegies, they make the best meal, maybe corn on the cob, cucumber & tomato salad, and cornbread. mmmmmmm
  • mom2aeris
    Options

I live in Scotland so it's not a problem we have ;-)
    Haha! I hear that is very true. My husband is an Irishman and he is dying in this heat.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump