Any others with history of eating disorders?

Options
Hello out there. I'm new to MFP. I'm looking for support from anyone else out there who has struggled with an eating disorder in the past, but is now trying to lose a little weight in a healthy way.

I struggled with an eating disorder for 10 years. I am in recovery from it. What happened with me, as what tends to happen with many people who recover from eating disorders, is that my weight shot up, up, up. I went from constantly underweight to a healthy weight, but I am now flirting with the "overweight" line. I would like to lose some weight (around 20 lbs) in order to feel more comfortable and to wear some clothes that I can't currently wear, or that are tight. Additionally, I am going to be in my sister's wedding next year and I would like to look a little nicer for the pictures.

I really would like to focus on living a more healthy lifestyle (exercising more, eating more fruits and veggies, etc.) and be happy with whatever weight I land at. Even though I am at a higher weight than I was when I was full-on in the eating disorder, I recognize that I still have a lot of irrational beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors around food and eating. The problem I am running into is that whenever I start to do things to attempt to become more healthy, I find myself drawn into eating-disorder patterns and behaviors. Is there anyone else out there who is going through something similar?

Replies

• sher6648
    sher6648 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there

In March of 2011 I finally told my parents that I was struggling with an eating disorder. My freshman year of high school (2009) I was ridiculed for my fitness level and appearance by the girls on my soccer team. Although I was healthy at the time the bullying led me to take extreme measures to lose weight which eventually grew into Bulimia and Emotional Eating. My endless cycle of overeating and then getting rid of it did not create my desired results and only left me feeling worse.

In 2011 I entered an eating disorder recovery program which provided me a team of medical doctors, psychiatrists, and a nutritionist to teach me other ways to control my emotional eating and healthy ways to keep the weight off.

I have been in successful recovery for 3 years now and am doing well. I joined MyFitnessPal only to maintain a healthy lifestyle, lose a few extra pounds (the right way), and to find inspiration from other people using this service.

The most important thing that my recovery has taught me is that each day I am going to have to face problems which originated from my past BUT I am not alone. There are a lot of people out there just like you and me that have gone through the same things. Our minds are powerful - it's what drove most of us into our situation and so it can get us out of it too. When I am feeling drawn towards a past behavior that is when I find myself leaning on people just like you. Thank you for reaching out, we can all do this together!

~Every minute is a mini victory~
  • touslesmemes
    Options
    hello,

feel free to add me. i have an eating disordered past/present. :)<3 all for healthier habits.
  • KenyaARiley
    KenyaARiley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Kenyada. I used to have a eating disorder suffered from bulimia. Now that I have this tracker, I can set realistic goals, yeah! O:-)
  • ziggy489
    ziggy489 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Suffered for many years and was doing ok up till this last year. Noticed some red flags so I sought help. I'm still in recovery (didn't jump head first back in) and I'm very aware of the red flags so when they do arise I talk to my husband and friends and therapist.

Things are getting back on track though and I would love more support on my journey to healthy as well!

Would love to share my story and support you as well, add me as a friend if you like!
  • sugarmagnolia55
    sugarmagnolia55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with bulimia on and off for about six years. I was doing great and in remission for a couple years, but recently have relapsed. However, it is much less severe now (binging/purging maybe once a week as opposed to multiple times a day). I'm in a much better place in my life now than I had been back then.

I realize that recording my food and exercise can be a trigger for me, so I'm trying to not be overly critical of myself, while also doing things that make me feel good about my body (yoga, meditation, outdoor activities).

I'd be happy to talk anytime you'd like. It's a struggle, for sure, but it's not an impossible one. Best of luck to all of you.
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    I developed anorexia when I was 16, was diagnosed when I was 17 and began recovery. It took me many years to get up to a healthy weight and now I'm on a journey to lose a few pounds to feel more comfortable, I'm 22 (nearly 23) now. I still have days where I struggle with food, but mostly I try to live a healthy lifestyle and I'm working on making fitness & exercise a big part of my life.

Anyone feel free to add me :)
  • MutedBeagle
    Options
    Hi! I suffer from a cycle of restriction and overeating. I've recently lost 50 pounds rather quickly, and I'm joining myfitnesspal to see if I can lose the last bit of weight and maintain my goal weight in a healthy manner, without falling into a pattern of restricting and binging.