Iron deficiant anemia and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am not sure about this. I am also on iron supplements, borderline anemic...But have lost weight the past year..so don't know!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I had iron deficiency anaemia during and after both pregnancies.

eating meals containing red meat, green vegetables, beans and vitamin C really helped. Remember that vitamin C helps iron to be absorbed, so when taking iron supplements or eating iron rich foods, have something high in vitamin C at the same time.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm also Iron anemic, and B12 anemic. My Iron level is 3, not sure on B12, but I just started my injections yesterday.

I'd never really thought about how it was affecting my weight loss, but this topic makes me hopeful, eveyone saying it should be easier when the levels are corrected!
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    Twenty of the pounds I needed to lose came from a long struggle with anemia, and terrible fatigue and weakness. I mean, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting light-headed, and I was sleeping 10 hours a day or more. After months of trying to figure out the cause, the doctor finally tested me for H. pylori infection, which I had, and it took a couple rounds of antibiotics and a months-long recovery from the anemia before I felt OK. Oh, and I was Vitamin D deficient, too, which did not help.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    .Oh, and I was Vitamin D deficient, too, which did not help.

I also have a Vitamin D deficiency. I feel like the walking poster child for lack of vitamins at the moment.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Long term anemia and iron deficiency will both affect weight loss and fat mobilization. Anemia may affect energy levels and the amount of activity one carries out. Decreases in oxygen transfer (hence metabolism) are subtle but influence hormonal balance.

There is strong evidence that not only does iron directly affect lipid metabolism in the liver but, since it has an influence on inflammation, can possibly affect cellular level oxidation. In short, this means that possibly the way cells use fat is affected.

However, please be aware that too much iron is very toxic and results in long term metabolic concerns. If you supplement, please make sure it is based on a trusted deficiency and that you regularly test to assure that you are not overloading.
  • whatamigettingmyselfinto
    Options
    My family has a history of women being extremely iron anemic (and lacking vitamin D) and while I do take several vitamins in order to aid that, I found that oats help keep me up on my iron levels. The Red Cross volunteer who came to my school several years ago even told me to start eating oatmeal a week before giving blood because it increases iron! And because I can't eat burgers, I usually make them out of lentils and whatever vegetables I have on hand, which still provide plenty of iron.
  • Diannecfc
    Diannecfc Posts: 1
    Options
    I have an iron deficiency I am on 600mg a day at the moment, i try and force myself to fitness classes, but for 6 weeks there i was completed shattered all the time and done little and have gained a stone so easily. Normally i eat very healthy, lots of fruit and veg, i eat meat red and white. i get tired very easily find myself nodding off on the day time, it is so frustrating as there is so much i want to be doing but my body wont let me. i really have to force my self to move. my poor dog isnt getting the walks he used to get. I really want to lose weight but i have giving up trying as it doesnt happen... does anyone have any suggestions that might help???
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I don't think there would be a connection between anemia and weight loss other than the fact that anemia is quite common especially in women and especially especially in women who are attempting to restrict their caloric intake.

Eat red meat and/or spinach, supplement if need be. Iron is something MFP tracks, use that to your advantage.

This^^^^^. Track your iron in the app. I'm not anemic, but have been in the past. I don't supplement, but I do make sure I'm at least getting the recommended amount. This may not be enough to reverse anemia, but for those who are just low or heading in that direction, it makes sense to use the tools available. And FYI - If your diet allows cereals, a lot of cereal is iron fortified.

Do not use the mfp values for iron tracking, next to worthless as no one enters them.
    Again, do not supplement iron unless you are tracking via blood tests and show clear deficiency. Too much iron is very bad.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't think there would be a connection between anemia and weight loss other than the fact that anemia is quite common especially in women and especially especially in women who are attempting to restrict their caloric intake.

Eat red meat and/or spinach, supplement if need be. Iron is something MFP tracks, use that to your advantage.

This^^^^^. Track your iron in the app. I'm not anemic, but have been in the past. I don't supplement, but I do make sure I'm at least getting the recommended amount. This may not be enough to reverse anemia, but for those who are just low or heading in that direction, it makes sense to use the tools available. And FYI - If your diet allows cereals, a lot of cereal is iron fortified.

Do not use the mfp values for iron tracking, next to worthless as no one enters them.
    Again, do not supplement iron unless you are tracking via blood tests and show clear deficiency. Too much iron is very bad.

Wasn't aware there was an issue with MFPs iron tracking. Is it just that so many of the food entires don't include iron (gives an N/A) even if they have iron?

True about iron supplementation, consult with your doctor on that and only in the context of testing...don't just start popping iron supplements daily without checking as it can be quite bad. I did not mean to be giving medical advice so thanks for calling me out on that
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Wasn't aware there was an issue with MFPs iron tracking. Is it just that so many of the food entires don't include iron (gives an N/A) even if they have iron?

True about iron supplementation, consult with your doctor on that and only in the context of testing...don't just start popping iron supplements daily without checking as it can be quite bad. I did not mean to be giving medical advice so thanks for calling me out on that

Yes, that's the issue. If you used entries that don't have iron value and tracked with MFP you'd always log a false deficiency.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been iron deficient anemic all my adult life. I manage to bring my hemoglobin levels up on my own, but can't seem to get my iron stores up. I have really heavy periods, so by the time I get it up, it quickly goes back down with AF. The doc wants me on supplements, but I can't handle supplements (I also suffer IBS-C). In regards to weight loss, no it has definitely not hindered my weightloss efforts (see my ticker).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly anemic because I don't like meat and not too keen on spinach and it hasn't been a problem for my weight loss. I think the problem may be caused by the lack of energy and general dizziness, so you move less and exercise less enthusiastically.