just a question by a weight loss noobie- help!!

Options
well, I started losing weigh and counting my calories a little over a month ago. At first i was losing about 200 grams per week and i live a pretty sedentary life other than on the weekends my husband and i walk for 20km and during the week days i do cardio for an hour at home. i write down everything to the dot of what i eat, i measure everything with a scale and so that's why i'm very frustrated as to why all of the sudden i've stopped losing weight. We don't eat fats at home, i stick to a 1200 calorie diet. i drink 2 liters of water per day so i don't know what's going on. at first i thought it was my stool? for i am not able to go to the bathroom often, but i've realized that for the past 2 and a half weeks i've been stuck on the same weight 100 grams more or less. what is going on? what am i doing wrong? i need some answers :/ please help mee!!

ps. I started at 62 kilos and now i'm at 57.7. i'm 160cm tall. and i'm STUCK! haha :/

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with constipation try adding some 'good' fats to your diet - preferably Omga 3 (avocado/fish/nuts)

Other than that, double check you're measuring and logging accurately - be sure that the calorie values you are using are correct - wide variation on the database - use ones with lots of confirmations or aren't marked with an *.

What weight are you now - are you close to middle of your healthy BMI range?
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Why 1200? How much does want to lose? 1200 is not a magical number, it is a default number that MFP sets. What is your BMR?
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't forget...eat back your exercise calories! Your eating less then 1200 after exercise and you need more food!:flowerforyou:
  • KaBoomKaBoom
    Options
    If you're just eating 1200 calories then you're not eating enough, and you need to make sure you're eating back some exercise calories. If you've stopped losing, you've probably reached a plateau and you need to change both your exercise and up your calories. I stopped losing when I stuck to 1200, but just moving it up 200 calories I started to lose more. MFP just gives an estimate of your calorie intake, and you should adjust to to where you feel comfortable.
  • mariaeli93
    mariaeli93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was at 62 kilos, now i'm at 57.7 and it doesnt go under that. i'm just in the middle of my BMI so around 22ish last i checked. i guess i should be eating more? i thought maybe 1200 because i don't really do much movement besides working out and walking on the weekends i also recently just started drinking lots of water because i have a problem with drinking water (as a lot of women do) but i try to stick to 2 liters per day now. :)
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    well, I started losing weigh and counting my calories a little over a month ago. At first i was losing about 200 grams per week and i live a pretty sedentary life other than on the weekends my husband and i walk for 20km and during the week days i do cardio for an hour at home. i write down everything to the dot of what i eat, i measure everything with a scale and so that's why i'm very frustrated as to why all of the sudden i've stopped losing weight. We don't eat fats at home, i stick to a 1200 calorie diet. i drink 2 liters of water per day so i don't know what's going on. at first i thought it was my stool? for i am not able to go to the bathroom often, but i've realized that for the past 2 and a half weeks i've been stuck on the same weight 100 grams more or less. what is going on? what am i doing wrong? i need some answers :/ please help mee!!

Everyone will tell you you're not eating enough. It's the favorite mantra of these forums. You can easily eat a little (lot?) more, maybe, if your current weight is higher and/or you're taller than 5'3", even if you're mostly sedentary.

however, I'm an advocate of lower daily calories, because that way, if you have a "cheat" day or a "mistake" day, it won't set your totals above your tdee....so to each their own.

that said, WEIGHT LOSS IS NOT LINEAR.

you're going to have stalls, no matter how many calories below your TDEE you're eating. You're going to randomly gain weight one week and wonder why. You're going to appear to drop a ridiculous amount another day. Watching the scale will seriously make you feel like you're crazy.

Stick with it and understand that the scale will always have weeks/months where it doesn't seem to go in the direction you're wanting it to. Don't let it get you down.

And don't feel afraid to take a re-feed/cheat day. Sometimes a day of hearty meals is just what the scale needs to start moving down again when you've reached a "plateau."
  • chrystlann
    chrystlann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you may have hit a platu just keep it up and DONT stress about it. your body needs to adjust to the sudden changes thats going on.
  • mariaeli93
    mariaeli93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i thought that eating the 1200 calories was enough and i was going to lose the work out calories :( how much of it should i be eating back?
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i thought that eating the 1200 calories was enough and i was going to lose the work out calories :( how much of it should i be eating back?

That depends on your goals, how much you want to lose, how much you BMR is and your total exercise expenditure. One number does not work for everyone.

My BMR is 1480, my goal is 1540. I eat back all my calories and lose easily. My goal is .5 a week because I only have 15 pounds to lose and I make realistic goals for myself.
  • raianneabrams
    raianneabrams Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ptee