SMART TVs...worth?

Options
I've been reading some reviews about Smart TVs, most good, but some not so good. We want to buy one this year black Friday. Can anybody share their insights?? Thanks!

Replies

• Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    totally worth it. especially if ypu use nexflix and Pandora. God i miss mine and the 3d capability
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    but then someone could hack it and use the camera to watch you. but you know-never do anything you don't want anyone to know about anyways
  • Wifey7891
    Wifey7891 Posts: 91
    Options
    The more I read, the more confused I get. The difference between all the technologies (Smart, Active 3D, Passive 3D, OLED, 4k Ultra HD). We thought the smart tvs had the sharpest picture quality, when comparing the wall of tvs in the stores. I could care less about accessing social media thru my tv. I just want the best picture.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    its all about refresh rate my friend
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not worth it YET. There's seriously no point atm. You'll pay tons of money (even in a sale) for something that'll be overpriced and defunct in a year. Wait until they've been around a little longer and then get a properly good one.

Source: Broke Elec Engineer.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    We just bought one on sale from John Lewis, we couldn't find a better offer.

I would personally say that the one we got is fantastic, great quality, easier for things like netflicks, iplayer etc. unfortunately unless you have an LG it wont play NowTV.

Wouldn't recommend a 4k though as nothing is really ready for it yet and it will be a few years before it is. They are also heavily over priced and when'if it gets popular in a few years time (by the time you would have needed to replace the tv) they will be half the price!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This past Feb. I bought a 32" Samsung Smart TV for $289 and I think it is totally worth it. It was only $30 more than a comparable non-Smart so, for me, it was worth the extra to be able to watch Netfix and Amazon streaming in the living room rather than on my computer at the desk. I don't watch a ton of TV and I don't want a bigger TV so I didn't price them to see if there are similar differences in price.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    yes i love ours , NEVER EVER lose the REMOTE!!!!
    ours is worthless - because . we lost the remote - have to order a new one once we more ...
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have a Visio and love it
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bought the most cutting edge smart tv, that wasn't even available on market and I had to order online. After using it for over a year, I have learnt my lesson. Best feature of a TV is display. Never pay more for software smartness. Things you need to look for is display quality, Is it 4K ready? How is the 3D quality etc. Never pay more just because it has built in software to play apps. Because those apps you can run better on a $100 streaming device, that you can replace any time when they come up with newer version that has better features.