Workout Plan Advice? (For Upper body with dumbells)

Options
Hey guys. I am on my way to build muscles on my upper body and abs. But I am completely lost in how many reps, sets, I should do per exercises...
Do you guys mind if you could briefly tell me what's your lifting plans? Like how many reps, sets, and what exercises or motions work for you? THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

Replies

• WTramontana
    WTramontana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out ExRx.net for a wealth of information, you can find many exercises specific to dumbbells only for working your Chest, Triceps, Biceps (in your arm, not the Biceps in the legs), etc.

Through trial and error, find a weight that allows you to complete 7-10 reps of an exercise that you choose. Don't be too concerned with how many reps you're doing, as much as that you're doing them with proper form (even if slowly), and that you are doing them until that muscle is exhausted and you can not do any more. Do as many sets as you like. There's new (and very controversial) research that states it really doesn't matter how many sets you do. I'd recommend 2-3 sets, and keep rest periods as short as possible. Or instead of worrying about your rest periods; keep in mind that for every Push exercise you do (ie triceps), be sure to do a Pull (biceps) exercise. You can do a single set of exercises one right after the other without resting when you're working a different muscle. This is called circuit training and can be faster and less monotonous.

Have fun!

--
    W. Tramontana | NREMT
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So...you're just going to do upper body and ab routines? What about lower body?

My lifting routine is in my blog, so I won't go into it here. I will tell you this, though - I don't just work my upper body.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Check out ExRx.net for a wealth of information, you can find many exercises specific to dumbbells only for working your Chest, Triceps, Biceps (in your arm, not the Biceps in the legs), etc.

Through trial and error, find a weight that allows you to complete 7-10 reps of an exercise that you choose. Don't be too concerned with how many reps you're doing, as much as that you're doing them with proper form (even if slowly), and that you are doing them until that muscle is exhausted and you can not do any more. Do as many sets as you like. There's new (and very controversial) research that states it really doesn't matter how many sets you do. I'd recommend 2-3 sets, and keep rest periods as short as possible. Or instead of worrying about your rest periods; keep in mind that for every Push exercise you do (ie triceps), be sure to do a Pull (biceps) exercise. You can do a single set of exercises one right after the other without resting when you're working a different muscle. This is called circuit training and can be faster and less monotonous.

Have fun!

--
    W. Tramontana | NREMT

Hey! Thank you for the website and your advice! I'll check it out :D
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So...you're just going to do upper body and ab routines? What about lower body?

My lifting routine is in my blog, so I won't go into it here. I will tell you this, though - I don't just work my upper body.

Well, my lower body I got them covered :) I worked my lower body as well but right now I'm pretty much focused on my upper body. And I saw your blog; great advices and wise words. Thank you :)
  • WTramontana
    WTramontana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's the information [with cites] that backs up what I was saying that multiple sets may barely yield any more benefits than one single set. Also I think I forgot to mention; and this is just as important as focusing on proper form- ALLOW ADEQUATE TIME FOR RECOVERY. Muscle building happens AFTER the workout while the muscles are HEALING. In the beginning this can be a few days.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

Good luck :)
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Check out FitnessBlender on YouTube - tons of videos on there.