Tightness in Front of Thigh (Rectus Fermoris???)

missdibs1
missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
I have been squating heavier and deeper and also adding glute bridges (BW only since its new addition) Thus past week the top right from thigh of my right leg only is really tight and I feel it pulling even when I walk

Can someone please advise?

I tried a body weight squat last night and i could feel the same pull

Replies

• chic245
    chic245 Posts: 10 Member
    Stretch, stretch and more stretching before and more importantly after your workout . Less fatigue will result.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Is it your thigh or hip? I had problems with my hip flexors when I started deepening my squats. I had to deload for a while, and stretch really well before squatting. After doing some form changes at a light weight, the pain went away and I haven't had a problem since.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    foam rolling- lots.
    I have chornically tight hip flexors.

lots of stretching- a solid warm up- like do 2-5 min warm up- then run warms ups with the bar.

My first set is bar only- for 5-8 reps
    then I do 95 pounds for like 5 reps- and those both always are really uncomfortable and are necessary for getting things functional before working sets.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    I get the same thing in the upper part of my quads. Its really annoying. It actually hurts to squat sometimes. The lighter warm-up sets hurt much worse then the heavy work sets. Sometimes if I do some body weight lunges as a warm-up it mitigates the problem.

Jeff
  • missdibs1
    Is it your thigh or hip? I had problems with my hip flexors when I started deepening my squats. I had to deload for a while, and stretch really well before squatting. After doing some form changes at a light weight, the pain went away and I haven't had a problem since.

I am unsure if it is my hip flexor or quad muscles

From my reading I think I may have been leaning to far forward during my squat??? or else it is just weak glutes??

I will try deloading and stretching for sure
  • missdibs1
    I get the same thing in the upper part of my quads. Its really annoying. It actually hurts to squat sometimes. The lighter warm-up sets hurt much worse then the heavy work sets. Sometimes if I do some body weight lunges as a warm-up it mitigates the problem.

Jeff

Yes that is what i would call it ANNOYING but not painful

but I cannot help but take it as a warning before injury (???)

I am going to get a foam roller too
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Foam roller. They're cheap, and they're amazing.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Foam roller and I'm going to add a lacrosse ball for the back side. I get tightness everywhere if I'm not spending time with those torture devices. Honestly it's to the point I feel like my warm up/stretching/foam rolling routine takes longer than my actual workout, but it really does help.
  • missdibs1
    I will pick one up ASAP

Then I will have to read up on using it LOL
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Foam rolling and hip flexor stretches can do wonders pretty quickly. Add in Iliacus stretches and you will fell a lot better in your entire hip region.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Foam rolling and hip flexor stretches can do wonders pretty quickly. Add in Iliacus stretches and you will fell a lot better in your entire hip region.

excellent point.

tight hammy's often contribute to hip pain.
    but yeah- roll everything on your legs except the bursa joint.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    I am 100% stealing this from another MFPer who recommended it to me in a form thread, but it is absolutely amazeballs so I feel I should share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

ETA: Obviously this is more for hips/glutes but in my experience it's all so connected that any tightness I have usually started there and worked it's way down the chain.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    rectum? Damn near killed him.
  • missdibs1
    While I appreciate the giggles .......
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

I am unsure if it is my hip flexor or quad muscles

From my reading I think I may have been leaning to far forward during my squat??? or else it is just weak glutes??

I will try deloading and stretching for sure

How is your joint mobility in general? I have poor joint mobility, so when I tried to squat in a normal stance, my joints just couldn't squish together like that. I widened my stance into almost a sumo squat, and that helped as much (if not more) than stretching things out. Look up the pigeon pose in yoga...hip flexors are difficult to stretch, but that one helped a lot.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    The other thing that I do that seems to help is before my squat sessions is to palpate for trigger points in my quads. A lot of times if I can find one and press the hell out of it with my thumb the tightness will subside dramatically eliminating the annoying pain. I know its going to work when I press on it and I feel the muscle actually spasm for a few moments.

Jeff
  • missdibs1
    Great Tips thank you so very much!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    If we're talking about your Psoas (hip flexors) it could be a couple things.

1. One, they're tight and you need some self myofacial release and stretching

2. Your hamstrings and lower back are tight when squatting so they're compensating for the

2. They're over-compensating for a weak muscle, possibly your hamstrings; strengthen your hamstrings

3. Is your back sore too? There can be a relationship between tight hip flexors and lower back pain, may need to strengthen your back

4. Don't forget to stretch your groin and adductors. Checkout Joe DeFranco's Limber 11; it's a rather complete lower body stretching routine that I'm sure will help you.
  • missdibs1
    Thank you I will check this stretching routine when i get home

My back does not hurt
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Thank you I will check this stretching routine when i get home

My back does not hurt

Lucky you! :) I was just pointing out various possibilities. For a smaller muscle group, the hip flexors are quite important and involved.