Marine Biologist seeks Friends to take the Plunge!

briemyre
briemyre Posts: 25 Member
Hey! I'm an almost 24 year old graduate student studying sea turtles and I've been on my weight loss journey for 16 months. I joined MFP a couple months ago after experiencing a really terrible plateau - no matter what I did, nothing seemed to come off! Since joining MFP I've been able to start losing again, and so far I've lost 57 pounds altogether, and I want to lose a total of 130 pounds. I think getting a chance to meet some people with similar goals to mine would help!

Any biologists? College students? Active members that could help keep me accountable and celebrate with me? Open to friend anyone!

Hit me up!

Replies

• briemyre
    Bueller... Bueller...?
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    I'm a biologist. I work as the Animal Training and Enrichment Coordinator at a zoo. I deal with a lot of animal behavior issues, keeping the animals occupied and happy, and training up for medical procedures. Congrats on your weight loss, and best of luck. Nice to meet a fellow scientist! Sounds like you do awesome work!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    No longer in college, but I have similar goals. I need to lose 100+. I log in daily and will be happy to give you motivation. Marine Biology - so jealous. I should have done that when I went to school.

Trudy
  • 8Nuya8
    8Nuya8 Posts: 30
    Grad student specializing in biophysics/computational biology. So not quite marine biology, but still.
    Add me if you like :)
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. Great achievement!
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Yay for ladies in STEM programs! :) Always excited to meet new friends on the journey. Finishing up last 6 months of grad school. Deciding if I should go on. Definitely interested in entomology but we will see.

Cheers!
  • lynnierose9
    lynnierose9 Posts: 34 Member
    Hello. I'm an older college student. I am going into Crisis counseling though. When I was younger I was pursuing going into marine biology. I wanted to study sharks. Something on my bucket list is being able to swim with them out in the ocean. I would love to get thin enough to be able to get my scuba certification. I have over 100 lbs to loose. Add me if you like and congrats on the weight loss :)
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    I'm also a marine biologist, though my critters of choice are intertidal inverts. :love:

I've lost 50 lbs, hoping to lose at least 75 more! Feel free to add me! :drinker:
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Also a marine biologist, though I finished my Master's last year (coral disease and microbiology). I work in consulting now. Feel free to add me!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hey! I'm an almost 24 year old graduate student studying sea turtles and I've been on my weight loss journey for 16 months. I joined MFP a couple months ago after experiencing a really terrible plateau - no matter what I did, nothing seemed to come off! Since joining MFP I've been able to start losing again, and so far I've lost 57 pounds altogether, and I want to lose a total of 130 pounds. I think getting a chance to meet some people with similar goals to mine would help!

Any biologists? College students? Active members that could help keep me accountable and celebrate with me? Open to friend anyone!

Hit me up!
    Hello Mr Marine Biologist.

My name is Art Vandelay, and I am an architect.
  • briemyre
    Sounds like fascinating work! I'm a physiologist myself, but got my start doing reptile care at the Omaha Zoo, and that zoo is also one of the places that first inspired me to work with sea turtles. Zoos will always have a special place in my heart.
  • briemyre
    Yay! A good friend of mine does forensic entomology, and she's actually the one who's given me great ideas for potential PhD projects! Always love meeting biologists of all kinds - it's especially good to know some that are working on fitness like me!
  • briemyre
    Great to meet you! It's so great to meet more people with similar goals to mine. In my field, pretty much everyone I work with is in amazing shape - and rightfully so, it's physically demanding work. But with that said, I really need some more friends who are looking to lose a significant amount of weight like I am to help keep me from feeling isolated! Thanks for the reply, I will try to help you, too!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I'm not a marine biologist but I'm totally obsessed with palaeoanthropology and have a strong interest in primatology.
  • briemyre
    That sounds awesome! I'm not very computer/tech savvy, but I really love ecological modeling, so I'm trying to improve in that area. Always happy to have more people in my circle! Added :)
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Not a marine biologist, but my biology professor was a freshwater biologist, and I found it very interesting. Currently debating about grad school when I graduate next year. I've lost 60 and have about 20 more to go. Add me as a friend!
  • briemyre
    Being thin enough for scuba certification is a big goal of mine too! I know it's physically demanding, but the idea of being able to view the ocean that way keeps me motivated!
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Nice to see other biology peeps out there! I'm a marine/fisheries biologist for NOAA, working with all kind of fishes and little inverts including coral reef stuff. You're right, it's a physically demanding career choice so I'm here getting my butt in shape too. Have been focusing more on lifting this year so weight loss has slowed dramatically, but at least I can keep up with the guys when we're out there in the water. Anyone can add me if you like!