/Still/ losing weight? Argh.

Options
Okay, so end of last week -- after discovering that my calorie intake wasn't half of what it should be -- I rebuilt my menus so I'm getting 1800+ calories per day.

But... according to the iPad app I'm using to track my calories and weight, for the last week and a half, I've been getting about 1600-2300 calories per day ... and I dropped 2 pounds in that time span.

My "exercise" amounts to a 30-minute walk (~2-2.5mph) in the morning on hilly terrain, and my day job is retail work in a shop that sells glasses. The same iPad app tells me that only burns ~250 calories per day.

*facepalm* What other variable am I not considering in this equation?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    inaccuracy with food tracking.

If you're losing consistently and you don't want to be- eat more.
  • CCKoepp
    CCKoepp Posts: 15
    Options
    Okay. I'll try to improve my tracking and eat more stuff.

Thanks!
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your body will constantly adapt to the changes you make but you've got to be consistent. Make sure you weigh at the same time every day...preferably as soon as you wake up after a P.

One week is not enough time to determine if you are gaining or losing. Stick with it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I like to weigh every day so i get a rolling average...I feel more accurate that way. I mean i can fluctuate up to 6lbs in a day.

Try not only to hit a certain calorie total, try and hit certain macronutrient ratios too. That will help your weight stay consistent.
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning when I get back from my walk.

The same iPad app I'm using figures out macronutrient ratios, too. Protein stays relatively consistent (~20%), but the other two ... split the rest kind of at random. Part of that's due to having to dodge food allergies and the protocols for slowing the development of more food allergies, but I'll see what I can do to balance that out a bit better.

I appreciate it!
  • SaraSaraBoBeara
    SaraSaraBoBeara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I see you have a big list of allergies to deal with. What kind of things can you eat? I would try adding whatever high calorie things you can eat to everything. EVOO, coconut oil, nut butters, avocado, etc. Not sure if that's possible with the allergies though?
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    Yes, the allergies make this more interesting.

Still on the "good food" list:
    grains: quinoa, rice, oats

protein: fish, shellfish (except crab), nuts, some cheeses, sunflower seeds, beef, lamb, bison

veggies: squashes, cucumbers, celery, artichokes, asparagus, chard, kale, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, brussel sprouts, lettuce

fruit: apples (peeled), grapes, citrus, berries (except strawberries), peaches (peeled), cherries, honeydew, Asian pears, pineapple, coconut

oils: coconut, grapeseed, sunflower, olive, safflower, ghee (homemade)

The tricky bit is the protocol for avoiding the development of more. I can't eat the same thing more often than 1 day in 3. Keeping things rotating and taking a break from each one now and then is supposed to slow down developing more allergies.

Sooo... Each week, I put 2 grains on the menu and leave the third off so I get 2 days out of 3 with an easy carb and the third day is more fat for calories.

80% of my calories are coming from fat and carbs with the exact split varying significantly from one day to the next.
  • SaraSaraBoBeara
    SaraSaraBoBeara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that is intense.

Hmm. Do you have a food scale? Maybe try keeping really close track of the foods to make sure you're logging them correctly. And have you had your thyroid checked?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do you know if you have any absorption issues as a result of the allergies? I don't have any experience with food allergies specifically, but I do have relatives with Celiac disease. It's my understanding that if your intestinal lining becomes damaged, you may not be absorbing the nutrients from the food you're eating as efficiently as someone without those issues. I'm not sure if that would at all be applicable in your situation, though.
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    Yeah. Food scale would probably help with the logging. I've been using volume measures rather than weight, but some of that is still eyeballing it. "Yeah, that looks like about a cup." Some things don't fit in the measuring cup well.

My thyroid gets checked out every couple years because low thyroid is all over the place in my maternal line. Stone-cold normal.
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    Alice Dark:

Not sure about the absorption issues. I know that if I stumble into anything with soy, my weight will drop fast but it rebounds once the soy junk clears out of my system. I avoid things containing soy now and stay away from anything made in a site that manufactures soy stuff... if it says anything on the label.

I can't find anyone medically professional who'll talk to me about food allergies and diet planning beyond "just avoid what you can't eat."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay, so end of last week -- after discovering that my calorie intake wasn't half of what it should be -- I rebuilt my menus so I'm getting 1800+ calories per day.

But... according to the iPad app I'm using to track my calories and weight, for the last week and a half, I've been getting about 1600-2300 calories per day ... and I dropped 2 pounds in that time span.

My "exercise" amounts to a 30-minute walk (~2-2.5mph) in the morning on hilly terrain, and my day job is retail work in a shop that sells glasses. The same iPad app tells me that only burns ~250 calories per day.

*facepalm* What other variable am I not considering in this equation?

Eat more... 1600 is by no means a large amount of calories, and 2300 is probably less than your TDEE as well....
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    TDEE?

Oh. Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Found a site that calculates that at 1817 cal/day.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar issue...the still losing part not the allergies. I've just had to play around with my food and eat more. I currently eat 300-400 above what the TDEE site says I should just to maintain. But I know that I don't always exercise the same amount, or intensity so it's really just a trial and error thing for me. At this point it's more about being able to perform than the gaining/losing part. So yeah, eat and enjoy.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    TDEE?

Are you choosing lightly active? You sound like closer to moderately active IMO.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Alice Dark:

Not sure about the absorption issues. I know that if I stumble into anything with soy, my weight will drop fast but it rebounds once the soy junk clears out of my system. I avoid things containing soy now and stay away from anything made in a site that manufactures soy stuff... if it says anything on the label.

I can't find anyone medically professional who'll talk to me about food allergies and diet planning beyond "just avoid what you can't eat."
    It's much more likely that it's a question of not eating enough on a consistent basis. The first thing you should do is figure out your surplus and stick to it for three to four weeks, consistently, and see what changes. If you're still losing after that, then it might be time to look at other factors. Remember that TDEE calculators are just estimates, so your individual burn can be higher or lower, but they're a good place to start.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    TDEE?

Obviously not if you are losing weight on 1600 - 2300!
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    The calculator I found didn't allow me to pick light/moderate ... it asked how many days/week I exercise... about 4-5. I'd like to make that 7, but I'm still building up activity level after an injury.

If I pick 7 days (even though I'm not there yet) ... I get.... 2000ish (one says 2009, the other says 2034). Hmmm.... Maybe I have bird metabolism? (Bird's have stupidly high metabolic rates for their size ... flight adaptation).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    The calculator I found didn't allow me to pick light/moderate ... it asked how many days/week I exercise... about 4-5. I'd like to make that 7, but I'm still building up activity level after an injury.

If I pick 7 days (even though I'm not there yet) ... I get.... 2000ish (one says 2009, the other says 2034). Hmmm.... Maybe I have bird metabolism? (Bird's have stupidly high metabolic rates for their size ... flight adaptation).

As someone else has said, it's just an estimate. I would start with 2100 for 4-6 weeks and see what your weight does and tweak from there.
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    Okay. I'll go look at what's coming up shorter than 2.1K/day and see about fixing that. Stick to it for a handful of weeks. See what happens...
  • CCKoepp
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I now have a direction to go that should get better results.