Replies

• suejo34
    suejo34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drink protein shakes, eat more starch, or lift weight
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't know- I can't stand kale- I refuse to acknowledge it as food!!!
    - but I'm sure it's a boat load that most people aren't willing to eat LMAO.

vitamix will liquify anything. :)

You can have the honors. I much prefer oreo's smashed in ice cream. it's just more delicious that way ;)

Hey don't knock it until you have a little Kale puree on your oreo sundae! ;)

btw. I don't eat kale unless I am juicing it.

LOL_ I have had it in a smoothie before- my old coworker got big on smoothies- and he would make me try them. It was like spinnach- although I WILL actually eat spinnach- not my favorite- but same same- much better when blended up!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    what about some MJ to stimulate the appetite? if it's legal in your area, that is. i wouldn't want to advocate breaking your local laws. i have a friend who is a chemo patient and uses it for nausea and to keep weight on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I doubt my doctor will say it's okay, but I'm going to ask about that. I wonder if it would help.

I'm so not the pot smoking type! But that is an excellent suggestion! Thanks!

I'm don't know why I never thought of it myself. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    People cn be so rude, prying into your personal reasons for eating healthy food. Maybe you want to, maybe your doctor told you to, maybe someone you loved died and you've decided to improve your eating habits, maybe who knows what touchy subject they might be trying to make you not only remember, but disclose.

It's none of their business. They shouldn't be prying.

Do not feel compelled to answer rude questions. And people who make fun of your problem, belittling it as insignificant compared to their own? That's not just rude and insensitive, it's mean. Completely not worthy of a response. Geez.

if someone comes on a board- and says they are doing something- but what they are doing isn't working- of course we are going to ask questions.

There are certain processes that do NOT make sense- trying to bulk low carb? it's illogical and counterproductive- can it be done? sure- but doing it voluntarily is just making life harder for yourself.

Asking a question is not RUDE. It's so we can give the best advice. If there is a medical reason- it needs to be disclosed- and if not- then don't ask in the first place.

We can't give advice if we don't have enough of the facts.

Stop projecting whatever issues you have onto this situation- no one was rude- no one was belittling.
    No, her medical information does NOT need to be disclosed to you. You aren't her doctor and it's none of your business.

You can't give advice based on medical conditions, you aren't qualified or licensed to do that. If you were, you couldn't do it over the Internet, anyway. That's what doctors are for.

It is rude to pry into medical details people haven't chosen to share with you.

This person didn't say anything about bulking, either. She just wants to gain some weight while eating healthy foods, which is hard for many people.

Seriously?
    Help I'm trying to gain weight?

totally NOT going to get the same answers as

Help I'm trying to gain weight but I'm allergic to nuts.
    Help I'm trying to gain weight but I'm a diabetic.

If you are not comfortable sharing information required to help get answers- then don't ask questions on a public forum. Period.

None of those things are incredibly personal- but they are going to get VASTLY different answers- and are going to be more applicable, and more helpful. So yeah- if there are limiting factors- like medical conditions- something needs to be said. We can't give advice on the least amount of information- that's like going to the doctor and saying "my arm hurts" and that's it.
    Or we get threads where someone has a question- and FIVE PAGES of "no but I can't"- the fact they have a medical condition comes out- and would have saved everyone 2 hours of misery by just telling everyone that in the first place.

More accurate information up front helps get the original poster information to help them with their question. not rocket science.

No one here is trying to give medical advice or implied we were going to. But if you're asking questions- and you expect answers you can use- you're best bet is to give as much pertinent information in advance.

what do you think bulking is? It's gaining weight.

Jimmer nailed it
    You gain weight by eating more of what you are eating- and or more calorie dense foods.
    It's only hard when people chose to try to do it eating 4000 calories of chicken breasts and kale.
    The reason not to do it is because it can cause people to feel pressured into revealing things they rather not, which is considered rude.

Another reason is it can cause them to think of unpleasant things they had, for the moment, not been thinking too much about.

Also, humility. Not telling you something is NOT the same as not telling a doctor something, lol.

You will obviously continue to pester people, regardless of whether or not it could upset them and cannot be convinced that praying into a person's medical condition(s) is rude, so I give up.

If people concentrated on answering the question that was asked, no time would be wasted.

But I realize I'm wasting my time. I can only hope that you were raised better, are young and will ask your mother if it is appropriate to ask seniors about their medical problems so that you can tell them to do things they specifically said they didn't want to do.

You can, of course, respond, but need not bother. I won't see it.
  • kathleenpilgrim77
    Options
    My husband had a temporary ostomy and then had it reversed and he had lost over 50 lbs and needed to gain it back! I started making him drink ensure 2-3 times per day along with his meals. He ate white bread, drank whole milk, white rice, just til he got to a decent weight gain for health reasons and then he ate healthier high calorie foods such as two helpings of everything and peanut butter toast ( 2 pieces on wheat bread can punch a lot of calories!) He has gained all but the 15 pounds he lost over about 2 years. It takes time but worth it to research healthy foods high in calories. Good luck to you!:wink: The Ensure was actually off brand EQUATE that we bought and even if you drink 1-2 per day it will help!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    People cn be so rude, prying into your personal reasons for eating healthy food. Maybe you want to, maybe your doctor told you to, maybe someone you loved died and you've decided to improve your eating habits, maybe who knows what touchy subject they might be trying to make you not only remember, but disclose.

It's none of their business. They shouldn't be prying.

Do not feel compelled to answer rude questions. And people who make fun of your problem, belittling it as insignificant compared to their own? That's not just rude and insensitive, it's mean. Completely not worthy of a response. Geez.

if someone comes on a board- and says they are doing something- but what they are doing isn't working- of course we are going to ask questions.

There are certain processes that do NOT make sense- trying to bulk low carb? it's illogical and counterproductive- can it be done? sure- but doing it voluntarily is just making life harder for yourself.

Asking a question is not RUDE. It's so we can give the best advice. If there is a medical reason- it needs to be disclosed- and if not- then don't ask in the first place.

We can't give advice if we don't have enough of the facts.

Stop projecting whatever issues you have onto this situation- no one was rude- no one was belittling.
    No, her medical information does NOT need to be disclosed to you. You aren't her doctor and it's none of your business.

You can't give advice based on medical conditions, you aren't qualified or licensed to do that. If you were, you couldn't do it over the Internet, anyway. That's what doctors are for.

It is rude to pry into medical details people haven't chosen to share with you.

This person didn't say anything about bulking, either. She just wants to gain some weight while eating healthy foods, which is hard for many people.

Seriously?
    Help I'm trying to gain weight?

totally NOT going to get the same answers as

Help I'm trying to gain weight but I'm allergic to nuts.
    Help I'm trying to gain weight but I'm a diabetic.

If you are not comfortable sharing information required to help get answers- then don't ask questions on a public forum. Period.

None of those things are incredibly personal- but they are going to get VASTLY different answers- and are going to be more applicable, and more helpful. So yeah- if there are limiting factors- like medical conditions- something needs to be said. We can't give advice on the least amount of information- that's like going to the doctor and saying "my arm hurts" and that's it.
    Or we get threads where someone has a question- and FIVE PAGES of "no but I can't"- the fact they have a medical condition comes out- and would have saved everyone 2 hours of misery by just telling everyone that in the first place.

More accurate information up front helps get the original poster information to help them with their question. not rocket science.

No one here is trying to give medical advice or implied we were going to. But if you're asking questions- and you expect answers you can use- you're best bet is to give as much pertinent information in advance.

what do you think bulking is? It's gaining weight.

Jimmer nailed it
    You gain weight by eating more of what you are eating- and or more calorie dense foods.
    It's only hard when people chose to try to do it eating 4000 calories of chicken breasts and kale.
    The reason not to do it is because it can cause people to feel pressured into revealing things they rather not, which is considered rude.

Another reason is it can cause them to think of unpleasant things they had, for the moment, not been thinking too much about.

Also, humility. Not telling you something is NOT the same as not telling a doctor something, lol.

You will obviously continue to pester people, regardless of whether or not it could upset them and cannot be convinced that praying into a person's medical condition(s) is rude, so I give up.

If people concentrated on answering the question that was asked, no time would be wasted.

But I realize I'm wasting my time. I can only hope that you were raised better, are young and will ask your mother if it is appropriate to ask seniors about their medical problems so that you can tell them to do things they specifically said they didn't want to do.

You can, of course, respond, but need not bother. I won't see it.

Well, you consider lots of things rude, don't you?

Apparently that includes helping total strangers for free with solid information. No good deed goes unpunished, eh?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Jo- the unhumble- tacky and very cocky lass who is rude to all who ask for questions by daining to give as appropriate answers whenever possible.

That was a lousy internet storm out though. I'm mildly disappointed with that one.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Jo- the unhumble- tacky and very cocky lass who is rude to all who ask for questions by daining to give as appropriate answers whenever possible.

That was a lousy internet storm out though. I'm mildly disappointed with that one.

Haven't you got another thread to be rude in?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm sure I could figure out another thread to troll with my inappropriate rude-ness. I'll figure it out- I have the night off- but I usually do all my rude trolling at work.

Plus Facebook's been in an unholy uproar because of the SCOTUS decision- been being rude there all day insisting my desire to have sex doesn't actually make me a *kitten*. It's shocking I know.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Anyway, hopefully OP has a few more ideas now. And using MJ isn not a bad idea at all, there's no "type" - that's just a myth that certain types of people use it. You'd be surprised. It is definitely useful to help stimulate appetite.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just switched from white bread, which I know is horrid health wise, to 100% wholegrain. Yep 2 ensures a day.
    Eating healthy and having GERD and an ulcer makes it difficult.
    Thank you
  • kynsie2
    Options
    I have asked my dr about this. He seems ok but hesitant about it. And it's difficult to obtain, with the procedures you have to go thru.
    I need to be happy with my weight also, and ignore the rude people who make comments. To thi or to heavy and people seem to feel they have a right to make comments. :(
  • kynsie2
    Options
    Thank you Kalikel!!
  • isamann
    isamann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OP, I have a similar problem to you, gaining weight is so hard, and people who don't have this problem just don't understand, they say things like "I wish I had your problem."

If I'm looking to gain weight, would it be OK (or healthy?) to eat a relatively large dinner before sleeping? Or is that not healthy either.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Ok here's a few tips. Based on the fact that you don't seem to want to eat unhealthy calories.

Nuts are your friend. When you are busy on the computer or reading a book try to have a bowl of nuts handy for snacking. A big bowl of nuts can easily be over 1000 calories and you can get through a big bowl quite easily snacking throught the day. The fats in them are very healthy and they contain a lot of nutrition.

If you like them protein shakes are a good idea. Mix them up with full fat milk. Personally I think they are delicious and I savour them when it's time to have them. For you .. that could pretty much be whenever you feel like one. Not only that but the protein in them will help you to fill out with a little muscle not just fat. And most protein powders are quite rich in micronutrients. And milk itself is extremely good nutrition wise.

Ice cream .. I know I know you don't want empty calories. But honestly for a high calorie snack you can actually do a lot worse than ice cream. It is high fiber and good for the old digestive flow.

Little things add up as well. IF you cook chicken breasts make sure you get skin on. Season the hell out of that skin and crispy it up! It will be delicious and calorific. If you make a salad add a bit more olive oil to the dressing than you otherwise might. And in my humble opinion there's almost nothing savory that couldn't do with a little grated parmesan.

It might help you to read a lot of the diet nutrition tricks and think opposite. The kind of things they take away you need to make sure you have. The kind of things that add calories without really ruining or changing the food.

I hope i helped.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    OP, I have a similar problem to you, gaining weight is so hard, and people who don't have this problem just don't understand, they say things like "I wish I had your problem."

If I'm looking to gain weight, would it be OK (or healthy?) to eat a relatively large dinner before sleeping? Or is that not healthy either.

Honestly I think a large dinner before bed is the way to go. You want to have your system happily digesting that food all night long right? There's nothing actually unhealthy about eating late. It's just that some people like to take advantage of such a large period of unconsciousness to help starve the body of calories for a time. For you however that is decidedly unproductive.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Are you steady at a low weight, or is your weight dropping on the same diet that used to be enough?

If you are actually *losing* weight then you may have an underlying medical problem that hasn't yet been diagnosed.

Likewise, these days many ulcers can be cured with antibiotics (they are most commonly caused by bacteria H. pylori, not 'stress', though stress worsens symptoms). You should also be treated for your GERD because untreated it can lead to Barrett's esophagus, a risk factor for cancer.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yes, how to eat only healthy foods and gain weight. I don't want to eat empty calories from sugars and processed stuff.
    Trouble is, I am never hungry or sometimes I get so busy I realize I forgot to eat.
    Eating more is really it, but what to eat that is healthy and calorie rich.
    Thanks.

Maybe my experience will help you. I am one of those forget to stop and eat people who never really got the hunger feeling either so I prelog my foods, you can still make adjustments for the day but I find it helps me see what I should be eating for the day. For instance I have breakfast around 7:30am and I need protein for breakfast so usually it's egg/meat/dairy based. A mid morning snack around 10am of fruit with or without peanut butter or nuts. Lunch (anywhere from noon - 2pm) is usually full of veggies with a good amount of protein if it's salad (one of my favorites) its usually got cheese, nuts, chicken, avacado and so on depending on what happens to be available on the salad bar. My favorite afternoon snack is plain greek yogurt with fresh berries and granola which I usually eat around 3pm. Dinner is made up of whatever is left, low on veggies I eat more of those, low on protein I'll find 2 protein sources like cottage cheese and chicken breast for example and sometimes I go for the big ole turkey burger (can't eat beef) if I'm lacking in whole grains. You'll need to find what works for you but I would strongly suggest prelogging your food, it might just remind you that you need to eat, that's what it did for me.
  • jdietdiary
    Options
    5'2 and 98 pounds seems fine, why do you wish to gain weight?