Fast (not fast food) receipes for cheap

Options
Hey all, i'm new! I'm one of those college students that's trying to live off $100 a week or less in groceries. Here's the thing, i like large meals that i can use for lunches, i need enough to feed my husband and I, and (drum roll please) I HATE chicken!

I'm not calling this a recipe swap, okay, yeah this is a recipe swap now hand me all your big beef recipes or the Oreos get it!

You show me yours and i'll show you mine

Replies

• IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My family loves these Corn & Black bean tortillas. ..... we add chicken, but you can skip that ingredient ;) This recipe makes a huge bowl, so I cut it in half, and it's enough for dinner for 4 for one night, and several lunches throughout the week.

Black Bean & Corn Salad
    2 cans of corn (mixed white & yellow or the Mexican corn)
    2 cans of black beans
    1 medium red onion
    2 large green bell peppers
    2 to 3 avocados
    Tomatoes
    cilantro
    lime juice
    olive oil
    1 package of Fiesta Ranch dressing

Rinse and drain the corn and beans. Chop & cut up the veggies. Mix all together. Add lime juice to taste. I used quite a bit - maybe 1/4 cup if not a little more. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix in the ranch dressing.
    For added protein, add diced chicken. Serve chilled as a salad or serve on white corn taco shells.
  • rubyqueen807
    rubyqueen807 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anything with lime and you can count me in! Love all the vegetables in that, especially the peppers. I'm always looking for more recipes with peppers that aren't stir frys

I'm thinking about wraps for next week. Pretty basic, cheap, and healthy.

Tomato
    Turkey
    Swiss
    Tortilla
    Lettuce Leaf
    Avocado
    Mayo if you need it
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can definitely live off of $100 dollars a week. I'm a college student too and me and my sister only spend $20 for 1.5 weeks of groceries most weeks $20 dollars can last us for 2 weeks and i'm never hungry going to bed. Though since i'm a light eater she gets most of that!. My tip would to not buy any junk food if you can. Junk food is sooooo much more expensive b/c your paying for convenience. If you have to get any get the store brand and eat only a few a day it'll last you a long time. If your a baker or cooker like I am make your food from scratch.

My favorite recipe is our rice and beans with veggies on the side, and some tuna for the meat. Just boil 1-2 cups rice and lentils, saute some veggies (get frozen to save some money), and either picked up fresh, canned, or frozen fish and cook. I prefer frozen over canned myself. This serves 3 people as we usually have one friend over and we're all full afterward for about 4-6 hours.
  • rubyqueen807
    rubyqueen807 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree on the junk food aspect. My husband and I can spend $17 at Taco Bell in just one trip. Not worth it and honestly not that great, just paying for convenience.
    That sounds amazing, plus the frozen veggies would be super cheap.
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just buy a big bag of rice and it can last you weeks. With rice you can make anything from deserts to entrees just buy adding a few cheap ingredients. We were raised in a family of 4 with a budget of $100 a month on groceries (because we realized that allowed us to get the essentials and not junk). There's a site called Freebie Sharks where it'll tell you the sales and which coupons to use so you can get some food for free or a few cents. Also Kroger gives away one item for free every week no purchase necessary just download the digital coupon on Fridays and go within 3 weeks. They give away anything from free 2 liter cokes and milk to conditioner and toothpaste.