Best non dairy milk for hypothyroidism

Options
Hey guys. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I'm currently trying to lose weight and keep fit for my health. Everyday is horrible, I'm always so tired. It's expected probably because I'm only on 25mg of Levothyroxine.
Anyway, I was doing a bit of research on it and I found out most people say a gluten free diet is best, but also to avoid things like soy, almonds and others (usually what I eat daily).
I was quite sad after - before I knew this I already purchased two soy yogurts and I was looking forward to eating them. I have also decided to throw out my soy and almond milk and try to cut out sugar and gluten.

But now I'm not sure which is best - milk wise. Keep in mind most of the stuff here is Alpro.
I can't decide between either oat milk, rice milk, coconut milk or hazelnut milk. (Or maybe just plain skim milk, articles I have looked at say it's best to include regular low fat dairy products).
Thanks everyone. I just like my milk see :).

Replies

• mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well and I still drink milk regularly....not everyday but regardless. I do tend to buy skim milk, for no other reason than its better for you lol I was never told by my doctor to do gluten free or avoid soy.....I would ask your doctor or a nutrionist if your really concerned about it.
    I am down almost 20 pounds and I didn't go on any special diet because of my hypothyroidism....

Just my two sense.
    Good luck on everything! :)

p.s. I am on the same medicine, except I am on 50mcg's.....but you shouldn't still feel tired or lethargic once you have been on the pills a good amount of time, if your still feeling that way I would talk to your doctor about it, maybe they need to up your dosage.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You don't need milk at all. If you're worried about calcium, then get it from one of the many other foods, including home made broths (from simmering meat bones), dark leafy greens, and fish with bones (sardines, etc).

That said, if you want a non-dairy milk for various cooking purposes, I'd go with coconut milk, personally, since the fats in coconut products are phenomenal for all sorts of reasons, though I recommend either making it yourself (it's really easy), or getting the canned kind. The stuff in the carton has a bunch of additives that aren't great for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well and I still drink milk regularly....not everyday but regardless. I do tend to buy skim milk, for no other reason than its better for you lol I was never told by my doctor to do gluten free or avoid soy.....I would ask your doctor or a nutrionist if your really concerned about it.
    I am down almost 20 pounds and I didn't go on any special diet because of my hypothyroidism....

Just my two sense.
    Good luck on everything! :)

p.s. I am on the same medicine, except I am on 50mcg's.....but you shouldn't still feel tired or lethargic once you have been on the pills a good amount of time, if your still feeling that way I would talk to your doctor about it, maybe they need to up your dosage.

Actually, skim milk isn't better for you than whole milk. It's basically sugar water at that point. And without the fat, your body can't absorb the Vitamin D (and, by proxy, the calcium) in it, further making it basically sugar water.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing about soy, but what's wrong with dairy and gluten? I also have hypo and take Synthroid, but I have 1% milk with my oatmeal most days, eat ice cream some days, and ingest lots of gluten and I'm fine. Met my weight-loss goal last year. I haven't heard almonds are bad either, did your doctor tell you to avoid them?

I haven't tried rice milk, but it could be an alternative for you. I'll stick with my dairy milk. :) Good luck, I've been there with the fatigue.
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about 8 years now and have never been told to avoid anything. Though I was told to watch out for iodized salt since iodine consumption impacts something with the thyroid or something like that.

Once your doctor figures out your medication you should be good fine. I take 100MCG of Levothyroxine. Used to take 224MCG but after losing some weight the doctor reduced my medication.

How long have you been taking the meds? For me it took the doctor about 6 months to figure out my medication. He did go slow about it because I had some heart issues and he did not want to put me into hyperthyroidism. Feeling more energetic from the initial medication took a week or so.

edit: Here is a link to info from the Mayo clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
  • Forest_floor
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Lol I didn't expect that many. Maybe I am reading too much into things, and I am going a little crazy haha. I can't really remember how long I have been on the meds, I'm on my second pack now since I finished the last batch and I still feel like this. Yeah I think I should just go back to the doc...
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    All the women in my family have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and it does take the pills a while to kick in so you do have to give that time. But my sister never felt better on the pills and read that hypothyroidism and gluten intolerance (not celiac - just discomfort resulting from gluten) have very similar symptoms so she is trying to go entirely gluten free to see if it works. So that would be the only reason you might want to not have gluten - in case it isn't actually your thyroid (which if the pills don't work then maybe that's not what's wrong). But gluten has no effect on hypothyroidism if that's what it really is. I don't claim to be a doctor but we've been researching all of this a lot too :)
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with dairy but yes soy is not good for us on synthetic thyroid meds. It can slow down the medication. Tea is also something to avoid, especially (yes I know) green tea. It's not the tea itself but the way the leaves are processed for tea. Also if you are newly diagnosed it can take months to get the right levels of medications. I was almost 8 months of monthly blood tests and adjusting to make sure I was taking the right amount of synthyroid. At one point I had to take such a high dose I needed two pills to reach the right dosage. That has now adjusted down. But make sure you are being monitored closely during the beginning stages and get tested every year. It's just as bad to be on too high a dose.
    Main thing is this is extremely manageable, and it's not that the soy or tea will cause any issues, it just might slow down the good your medication is doing.
    PS doctors rarely discuss the side effects etc for medications, that is why your pharmacist can become your new best friend.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Lol I didn't expect that many. Maybe I am reading too much into things, and I am going a little crazy haha. I can't really remember how long I have been on the meds, I'm on my second pack now since I finished the last batch and I still feel like this. Yeah I think I should just go back to the doc...

Maybe you just need to eat healthier all around and get in some daily exercise. I am on the same meds as you and started on MFP in Jan 2014. I could only do 2 minutes at a time on my stationary bike but that turned into 5 minutes and that turned into 8 minutes all the way up too 60 minutes a day of my stationary bike and an hour on the treadmill. My motto is this, "Never say I can't when you have not tried." I was always tired before I started exercising and eating right. I am down 43 pounds since January and on day 170 of being faithful to my lifestyle change and will not let myself go back to where I was. I feel better now than I did 20 years ago!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Sometimes it takes a while to get the dosage right, it took a good solid year for me. They up it in very small doses, because going too much too quickly is dangerous.

I didn't eat anything special. The only trick has been getting my levels decent and then maintaining a deficit. Well, I'm lactose intolerant, so I drink lactose free milk (sometimes skim, sometimes 2%, depends on how my fats are looking for the day). I do try to make sure to get enough protein, but otherwise it's just been a matter of keeping my days mostly nutritionally balanced. Usually.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Per my endocrinologist, I eat & drink whatever I want, and I lost weight. My diary is pubic for all—not just friends.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers