Fitness Trackers - Samsung Gear, anyone?

Options
I am looking into getting a fitness tracker, specifically one that keeps track of calories burned during workouts. I have a Samsung Galaxy and would like to know if anyone has the Samsung Gear Fit and what they think of it. Or, if you have one that you particularly love, I'd like to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I'd really love one that I can wear as a watch and/or that can be worn all day.

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i was going 'ga-ga' over the iphone 5 comercial where they are using it for all sorts of fitness tracking.

then i really watched it. i'm sure there are a lot more features then you see in the commercial, but most of them seemed pretty basic, like manually logging reps/weight... and the other seemed pretty advanced (it shows them using the camera to do some analysis of a soccer players kick).

my conclusion was that its basically gimicy, its something else to remember to strap on, button to push, app to log into, etc. seems to much of a hassle

i'd rather just work out lol

i don't think they offer much beyond what you can get from say a fit bit
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Thanks, No_Finish_Lin....I was looking at the FitBit, too. Neither really have very good ratings from what I've found...

I'm working out without one, it would just be nice to have the info...
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Bodymedia? It can be worn all day and syncs with MFP. It has also been found to be very accurate as compared to the other devices.

I used to have a Fitbit Flex. And I enjoyed it at first. But I found that it overestimated my steps and burn almost daily. It also really was just a pedometer I wore all day long. I like my bodymedia a lot better. It actually gives me more information about my daily activity level. Plus I can make it super pretty with skins and different armbands.
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    I had a BodyMedia band before and lost it in a move. I liked it, but I was hoping to upgrade to something that could either sync to my phone or computer without needing to be plugged in or something that had a screen that shows the info. I may just order a new one....but my other issue was that you have to subscribe to their website...
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm quite into mobile tech (mostly Android) and do a lot of reading about new products, from everything I have read the Samsung Galaxy Gear is pretty rubbish & you certainly wouldn't be able to get a full day of activity tracking out of it the way you do with Fitbits,Heart Rate Monitors etc. Personally I love my fitbit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I almost bought one the other day, then I read some reviews and most of them say is no good. Inaccurate, clunky with apps, and all around poor performance.
  • SupportGeek
    Options
    Work is going to supply a fitbit in a week or 2, I like the idea of the Bodymedia, but $7 a month subscription is a little more than I want to commit to, just another monthly fee, ugh.