Wellbutrin??

Options
Have you lost weight while taking this antidepressant? I'm a little nervous...

Replies

• DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am on paxil but I'm wondering the same thing. I startes cutting my pills in half down to 15 mg from 30 mg hoping it will help wirh the weight loss. I've gained some weight while on it but I'm not sure if that's from eating more or the meds. Anyone out there know whether ssris cause weight gain cause they make you more hungry or is there someth I'm ng inherent in them independent of diet that makes y ou gain weight while on them?

Also...will my cutting back on the dose help with weight loss?
  • turtlebeth
    turtlebeth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the weight part but I nearly divorced my husband while he was taking this drug. He was trying to quit smoking and turned into a raging monster. Had us all in tears for weeks before I figured out it was the drug. After three days off it he was back to normal.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did. I like that med. Very few side effects {although it does vary from person to person}
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Paxil is one of those meds that makes me gain weight. I put 20 lbs on, ugh.

Be careful changing the dosage on your own. Maybe see your doctor?
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it effects weight loss, but I do know that on those times when I've been off of it, I find myself thinking about food more frequently.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 100, it was while I was on wellbutrin. It was wonderful. Not only did it help me with depression and anxiety but it killed eating while bored. The only bad thing was that for the first week I was on it I had to be reminded to eat because I just wasn't hungry. After that first week I was fine though.
  • 3BabyBlues
    3BabyBlues Posts: 24
    Options
    I got very depressed taking it, I wanted to die. Finally figured out it was the meds and stopped taking it. But I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone like that.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost weight on Wellbutrin. I also had tremors so bad that I needed to hold my coffee cup with two hands. My doctor took me off it.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro and gained weight. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin becuz the Lexapro just didn't seem to be keeping my depression in check anymore. The Wellbutrin worked wonders. The change in my depression and anxiety was incredible. I noticed a huge change at 3 and 4 weeks. The doctor also told me that it did not promote weight gain, but instead helped a number of people with weight loss. Who knows if it was the change in diet, exercise or the meds, or the combo of all 3, but at least considering I was feeling so much better about myself with the new med, I figure it helped me at least STAY on my new food plan much easier. I sure hope that my brain doesn't get "used" to the Wellbutrin cuz I don't know what I'll do then. I would recommend to anybody that needs an RX for depression to at least talk to their doctor about it, to give it a try. Worked for me anyway. And the weight loss (help?) was definitely a bonus.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I take my Wellbutrin once a day - in the morning - and have to remind myself to eat in the AM. Later in the day my appetite comes back so I plan the bulk of my calories for the evening. I used to take it twice a day but now only need it once. Taking it at night made it difficult to sleep. :\
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on Paxil. I think the meds effect people differently. What causes gain in one person might not in another person. Weird!?! :grumble:
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I got very depressed taking it, I wanted to die. Finally figured out it was the meds and stopped taking it. But I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone like that.
    I was told by my therapist that being more depressed and having suicidal thoughts on any anti-depressant was grounds to test for bipolar disorder. Otherwise the anti-depressants would feel as if they didn't have an effect. Not trying to diagnose, just something I'd try to look out for or ask about. :flowerforyou:
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The first time I took it, I was so nauseated for about a week that I could hardly eat, and dizzy, too. That went away, and I did notice my appetite lessened overall. This time around, I didn't notice as big of a difference, but I seemed to crave sugar less. I think it helps me avoid emotional eating and eating for energy (when lack of food isn't the reason my energy was low).
  • eisners
    eisners Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have been taking Wellbutrin for three weeks now and I have really seen the benefits. I am not snacking......at all. My depression is really improving and my overall outlook on life is better. Instead of saying I am going to work out and eat right, I just do it. Haven't missed a workout since being on 300mg a day. It is really helping me. Hopefully it continues. :)

Word of warning- the only time I had complications with this drug are when I drink alcohol or drink a high amount of caffeine.