Orange Theory

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What is a suitable pricetag for health? Happiness? If you enjoy it and want to do it, certainly it's a step in the right direction for your health, and it's not breaking your bank. If your husband is worried about the money, maybe you could explain to him what spending areas you are willing to cut back in order to pay for the classes. If you are willing to slash some shopping trips to go work out - I can't see where he would object too much and he might realize your level of committment once he has a basis for comparison. Plus, if all that energy makes you a little more frisky at bedtime, so much the better! There is no better way to keep a husband happy than lots of sex...at least, it's always worked for me...
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    I have been an OT members for a few months and adore it! The group training classes change each day like cross fit, so you are not doing the same routine. OT is my stepping stone to cross fit. It is also my training for my upcoming Tough Mudder :-) As for price I feel it is worth it since I go 5 days a week. The trainers keep my accountable (which is great for me) and are more then helpful.. My boyfriend prefers to workout at home and is happy with it. I think only you know what is best for your fitness journey do what makes you happy & healthy.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I joined OTF last month and have really been enjoying it. I did a trial class as I was searching for a gym and knew instantly that I was 1) hooked, 2) not going to find a workout like it at a regular gym, and 3) willing to pay more (at least for a few months) for a workout I knew I would get results from. I've been going 3-4x a week after having not worked out in months. It is tough and it is different every class. Because it is smaller, they can and will hold you accountable and help you reach your goals, which to me a regular gym won't do. I don't particularly LIKE working out and would much rather sit on a couch and watch TV, but I decided it was time for me to work to achieve my goals and OTF is helping me do that. I love the happy endorphin feelings I get after each workout. If you are in the same place and have the money to pay for membership, I say go for it!

For those who don't know what orange theory is, it is a gym that only offers group fitness classes. My understanding is that it is a less intimidating and intense alternative to Cross Fit. They offer 60 minute classes that are HIIT (high intensity interval training) using treadmills, rowers, and strength training with TRX cables, weights, medicine balls, and bosu balls. They hook you up to a heart rate monitor, which you use to guide your workout and push yourself as needed. The goal is to spend the majority of the time in the "green" zone (aerobic), with 12-20 minutes in the "orange" zone (anaerobic). After class, you get an email with a report detailing the time you spent in each heart rate zone and how many calories you burned. It is sort of similar to the Lifetime Fitness Weight Loss Challenge group, but the workouts have a lot more variety and are not consigned to the treadmill only.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just looked it up on youtube.....and it looks awesome! I'm really into group fitness classes/bootcamps. I like the fact that they keep track of your stats and how hard someone is working. I'm kinda competitive so this looks like something I'd probably love!!

My husband is not very supportive of my bootcamps, but if I did what he wanted me to do, I'd do nothing. He doesn't like to spend money. There was about a year that I quit my gym membership because of him and I really did resent him during that time. Now when he mentions it, I let him know that I'll give up my bootcamps/gym ($45 a month) when he gives up beer/tobacco. :drinker:
  • pktorm
    pktorm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are two different issues here, so I'll talk mostly on the most important issue. The issue that I see is about personal finance and your relationship with your boyfriend.

First, everyone should have a monthly personal budget goal, especially "spending money budget" People fail at their personal expenses, me included, when you don't plan your personal spending.

My wife likes to buy shoes. For sometime, UPS comes knocking on my door to deliver her internet ordered shoes. I don't even care because it's her money that she wants to spend and she doesn't complain when I buy an amazon.com movie or buy internet gems for online gaming. If I want to go out and meet up with a bro and buy food and drinks OR play golf with my buddies which costs between 100 to 200 bucks since I live in Maui, then she doesn't complain if it's done within reason. It's my money to spend and as far as I'm concerned, if she wants to buy an expensive LV hand bag and had saved her monthly personal spending goals, I don't feel I have a right to complain.

You're spending money on something that interests you, regardless if it has a health benefit from it. It's something fun for you and in return, you get the health benefits. I have a hard time getting my wife to go hiking with me and she decided to join curves, I wouldn't care.

I think it's awesome that you've found something fun and beneficial. You are not him, and although he has the knowledge, mental drive, and skill to put together his own workout schedule, that is not you.

Another aspect is the social benefit like this website. You get to meet and discuss with real people about your personal training goals and that can't be measured.

My opinion is stay strong and do what makes you happy.

I'm confident you're boyfriend is going to like you even more after you see some results and you become sexy as hell that he can brag to his buddies about.

Good luck.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I spend ~$100 a month on my martial arts classes (2x/week) with a 6 month contract. My hubby didn't like that I would be away from home two nights a week in addition to work, but understood my wish for good exercise and to be able to protect myself, and my money is MY MONEY. Seriously. We pool our money, pay all of our bills (including our gym membership of $24/mo for both of us), put into retirement and savings, then split the rest. His money is his and mine is mine. We cannot see what it is spent on or when, and I love that. The only time we fight about money is when I want to go on vacation and I've saved and he hasn't.

If your money is your money (and your bills are paid), then tell him to butt out and make yourself happy. Maybe he doesn't want you to lose weight?
  • pktorm
    pktorm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I spend ~$100 a month on my martial arts classes (2x/week) with a 6 month contract. My hubby didn't like that I would be away from home two nights a week in addition to work, but understood my wish for good exercise and to be able to protect myself, and my money is MY MONEY. Seriously. We pool our money, pay all of our bills (including our gym membership of $24/mo for both of us), put into retirement and savings, then split the rest. His money is his and mine is mine. We cannot see what it is spent on or when, and I love that. The only time we fight about money is when I want to go on vacation and I've saved and he hasn't.

If your money is your money (and your bills are paid), then tell him to butt out and make yourself happy. Maybe he doesn't want you to lose weight?

I agree.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    My wife didn't have much motivation to lose some extra weight until she started ballroom dancing. Since then, she's lost 30lbs and competed yesterday in an amateur contest (City Lights dance competition) and did great (2nd place). Now she's ready to do it again. Her lessons are about $200 a month, but she can afford it. And she loves it and I can definitely see less stress and more "happy" in herself. So to me it's worth it, even if I don't really care to take it myself (I did years ago, but never really cared much for it).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    It would be ok if you are not obligated to sign a one year contract. If you are and you get injured, sick or simply sick of it or your finances change you are stuck paying.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I pay $99 dollars a year for the rest of my life for my gym (special about 15 years ago). so I can be as frugal as can be.

If you like it, great and keep it up. It is your money and you have the right to spend it as you please. :smile:

However, from my internet research (I didn't post links because it would be advertising, in my opinion), it's high intensity interval training with the "toys", such as the oversized screen, heart strap, and everybody being able to see your heart rate. I mean, what's the purpose of this, other than the instructor putting people on the spot?

I'm a cynic when it comes to fads, though, so feel free to ignore my response :smile:
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it makes you happy and a better person, DO IT!!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    That is how I felt when I first saw the fee for crossfit, but nothing else was working for me and I needed to kick it up a notch, plus my husband encouraged me to try the free class to at least see if I liked it and I loved it. If this has made your workout much better and you love it, then you need to discuss this with your boyfriend, sneaking around will only end badly.
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    I think the price is a bit steep. That said, if that 600-800 a month you mentioned is what you have left after you've paid your share of the bills, groceries, etc. then it is YOUR money, and frankly, whether you save it, spend it, invest it, or pile it up in a grill and set it on fire is not his call, it's yours.

I wouldn't sneak around, though. I'd just announce I'd decided to do it, and if he doesn't like that decision, that's his problem.
  • antnya
    antnya Posts: 2
    Options
    Wild bump here, but I have to chime in. This is a GREAT workout and I am a guy. While I understand his concern about the cost, perhaps he needs to be more mindful of what motivates you. A good partner will always look at what benefits you and if there is a cost involved, deal with it. Fitness can be done at home--he is right about that. But some people need the structure Orange Theory offers.

I hope he values your goals and fitness a little more now. Good luck!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Orange Theory but I say if you have the money for it and you enjoy going then it is worth it. I pay a little more then that and go to classes five days a week. To me it's worth it and I make sacrifices in other areas to compensate. I still work out on my own but the workouts I get there I would never do on my own and the average gym doesn't offer the equipment that they do. And since Orange Theory is month to month if you tire of it or it doesn't sound like you are locked into a contract.

And FYI, my boyfriend feels the same way about my gym. What bothered him was having to be there at certain times to work out versus just going to the gym whenever you want but it makes me happy so he's learned to live with it.
  • klrreichert
    Options
    I LOVE organge theory!

Yes, it's expensive. But the workout is intense and different every day. I'll admit, when I told my boyfriend about the price he (maturely and open-mindedly) asked me if this was definitely something I wanted to spend money on. We talked about it, and I told him yes. He hasn't brought up the cost since. However, everyone has different situations and different views of what you should and shouldn't spend money on. I'm not saying I agree with him (obviously, I am an orange theory advocate and belive you should spend YOUR money on what makes YOU happy), but it's definitely important to take everyone's situations and circumstances to heart.
    Yes, there are other, cheaper gyms that offer classes. I've tried them, but that doesn't work as well (for me, personally). My issue was always saying I was going to go to the gym and then, guess what? I don't go :( At orange theory, you sign up for a class and are penalized if you cancel within 12 hours of the start time (there is limited space in each class, so this way they can make sure people attend and don't waste the spot that could have gone to someone else). Of course, if you're sick, they make exceptions, especially if there is a waitlist and they are able to fill your spot. I can hear the responses now: you have to pay for missing classes you pay for?! Yes, you do. It's just like when you go to the doctor: if you miss your appointment, you pay him or her. Even though you pay for his or her services anyway.
    Additionally, gyms don't always offer classes that I'm interested in attending at the times that I'm able to attend them. I work 9-5, and I found that with my last gym, I rarely was able to attend the classes that actually interested me. And if I'm going to exercise, I BETTER be interested, or I know it won't last!!
    Yes, some people are motivated enough to go to classes at cheaper gyms, and so my issue doesn't apply to them. However, the way they track your calories and heart rate with heart monitors really helps me stay aware of exactly how my body is reacting to the exercise, and I love that.

Just my 2 cents :)

Full Discloser: My only affiliation with Orange Theory is that I'm a paying member. :)
  • schopvac
    schopvac Posts: 2
    Options
    My wife and I really enjoy it. We've been going since it opened here locally in Feb '14. It is a lot of money but we now are both in the best shape of our lives. I've spent a lot more on worse things! Bottom line I feel great after a 50 min workout and I usually burn between 700-900 calories. I did a full 90 days of p90x, which is also great, but I have a lot more fun at OTF and I never ever really enjoyed working out until now. As for your boyfriend, if you can afford it and you enjoy it tell him to relax. He'll benefit too. ????
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You cannot put a price tag on health....if it gives you the motivation to get it done and you can afford it then do it. It costs about 100 bucks to eat at a nice restaurant these days on a date night so for a little more than that you can have a month unlimited at a gym you enjoy that caters to your fitness needs....no brainier. We just had an Orange fitness open up near us.....if I wasn't already a member at two gyms in the area I would check it out.....probably will eventually.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The best exercise program is the one that you will actually do. Are there cheaper programs? Yes, but they mean nothing if you won't do them. If this program is something that will motivate you to move, then it is worth it. And if its your money, its your decision. You'll have to sacrifice other things to make room for it, but your priorities, your choice.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It's your money and you should do whatever the hell you want with it. Also, don't sneak out, leave quietly as to not wake him up but you shouldn't have to sneak as you are a grown woman.