Can't Meet Calorie Intake Goal

Options
Hey there.

So, I'm trying to lose about 20lbs to get back to a healthy weight. However, MFP has set me at a 1200 calorie intake goal. Shouldn't be too hard. Most people would probably fly past 1200.

Except me. I thought I ate around 2000 a day. I was wrong. I'm barely managing to get 1000. I know this isn't healthy, but I just don't feel hungry. I've been working to balance out my meals, but right now they are pretty crap. Hamburger helper. Tacos. Canned veggies. Etc.

I just feel full and have only had a few amount of calories. I'm really not active. Generally just sit at my desk. At work, I'm on my feet as a retail associate, but it's not like running a marathon or lifting boxes.

Anyway, I was wondering what I should do. If I'm going to diet, I want to do it healthily!

Replies

• hkied
    hkied Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of people against the advocare but I just did the 24 dAY challange and lost10lbs. the diffrence for me was cutting my drinks and adding fruits and veggies!
    ( WHICH i DONT LIKE) But it really has opened my eyes! maybe something set up for you or you setting it up will help!?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I just eat when I am hungry. Most people DRASTICALLY underestimate the amount of calories they are eating so you are probably in the right ballpark already. If you are worried about it get a food scale and weigh / measure everything for a few days and you'll probably find there's no reason for panic.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I understand. I struggle with that too. They want me to eat like 2200 and thats before any exercise gets added.
    I push to get 1500. I eat when I am full sometimes. It sucks.

I weigh out all my food on the scale. Every bit is measured.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Its not hard to eat 300 calories at a time. Eat 300 calories at 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm. Then you're done.

If you'd like more specific help, open up your diary to the public. If you'd like help running your numbers, give me your weight, age, height and goal weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you can't manage to eat above 1000 calories, how did you end up needing to lose weight? I end every day with a square of dark chocolate. Or a little peanut butter on celery. Or a little nutella on crackers. There are many ways to deliciously add a few hundred calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    How much do you think you were eating before, when you were gaining weight?
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Food scale! I kept thinking I was only eating between 1000-1500 calories. I recently purchased a food scale and I've been waaaaaaaaaaay off on my estimations. I was actually eating 2200+ a day. You could really be eating more than you think. If your estimations are correct, a protein snack or two in the day seems to be the best solution.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm full and I've only eaten about 900 calories today. Am I going to eat more? Heck no.

I eat when I'm hungry. I also exercise and I lose about 1-2 pounds a week. I'd probably incorporate some kind of exercise if I was you. Bike riding is fun.
  • meyowtime
    meyowtime Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've found this difficult some days too. Having some meal replacements like Boost Calorie Smart around have helped me when I need to balance out my calories but food doesn't seem really appealing. Best of luck to you. :-)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    If you can't manage to eat above 1000 calories, how did you end up needing to lose weight?

This question is asked all the time in these threads.

Likely answers.

OP has started cutting out all processed, sweet food, carbs, or something else she ate a lot of and is finding she is actually eating more volume than before but in low calorie foods like vegetables, chicken etc.

OP is eating same amount as before but drank a lot of calories and has now cut out sodas or other high calorie drinks

OP is now aware of non hungry eating like mindless TV snacking and has cut a lot of calories this way.

OP has removed all tempting trigger foods from her access and doesn't binge any more.

Of course there is also possibility OP is not logging accurately and is actually eating more than she thinks, so doesn't really have this problem at all.

Could you clarify which of these you think applies to you OP and also open your diary if it isn't already - and people can then make constructive suggestions with more information to go on.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Eat high caloric foods...

Avocado
    Cashews
    Pistachios
    Sunflower seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Almonds
    Pecans
    Peanut butter
    Almond butter

Also, if you don't already use a food scale to weigh your foods, buy one.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be that hard if you are trying to lose weight, after all you must have been eating a lot more calories to become fat in the first place?

Just have some ice cream or something for the last few hundred calories.
  • kellymikels
    kellymikels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Firstly, never use the word fat.

Secondly, I was on bedrest for almost a year, then had surgery and haven't been able to get out of bed other than for physical therapy for 6 months. I wasn't really eating a lot then, either. But not being active at all (walking, running, working, etc.) caused me to gain quite a bit of weight. Since then, I've been unable to lose any.

Also, as someone mentioned, I used to eat incredibly unhealthy food. Lots of fast food. Burgers caked with the healthy stuff, loaded mashed potatoes, etc. Now, I'm watching my portions and trying to add in fresh veggies. But since trying to be more healthy, I find I'm just not hungry and barely meeting 1000 calories a day.

I've ordered a food scale, actually. So it should be here in about a week. Glad to see I'm on the right track, at least. I appreciate the help. As for opening my diary to the public, I'd rather not. I understand it's hard to accurately help me without seeing it, but I just don't feel comfortable doing that. Anyway, thank you for the help.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the word "fat"?

It sounds like what you're eating know is more filling with fewer calories than you were eating before. If this concerns you, the suggestion above to fit in some more calorically dense foods should go a long way toward getting rid of that problem. A little peanut butter or ice cream or even avocado would bump you over 1200 without being all that filling.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Do what you did to get fat, but don't go overboard this time?

Being a retail associate (not sure how many times per week) I would guess that your intake should be >1200. You can have the burgers and loaded potatoes too. You'd be surprised at what you can eat once you dismiss the notion of "dieting."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Do what you did to get fat, but don't go overboard this time?

Being a retail associate (not sure how many times per week) I would guess that your intake should be >1200. You can have the burgers and loaded potatoes too. You'd be surprised at what you can eat once you dismiss the notion of "dieting."

Amen :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Firstly, never use the word fat.

whats wrong with the word 'fat'?