Sandwich meat ?

Options
Makterbro
Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
So I just found out that the meat I usually use to make sandwiches is really high in sodium despite being low in calories...
Does anyone know of any sandwich meat that is low in sodium?

Replies

• mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Go to the deli and buy a pound of lunch meat there. It is way more fresh, not prepackaged, and also probably half or less sodium than the prepackaged meats. They add more salt to keep it fresh longer, so it can sit in the store/fridge/freezer longer :)
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Cook up a chicken breast and make a nice chicken salad out of it, or just slice it up. Turkey breast, roast beef, and roast pork loin also make great leftover sandwiches.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head perhaps
  • gizmo_2014
    gizmo_2014 Posts: 37
    Options
    Try making your own, that's what we do.

Roast chicken breast or turkey breast. Cool then thinly slice. Of course it won't last as long as packaged deli meats you buy but it is much much less in sodium then the store bought deli meats. If you like other meats like ham (you could always thinly slice a ham), salami, etc then look for low sodium brands. There are some out there but they will be more money.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Even the "reduced sodium" meats are pretty high in sodium. There are some meats that have no salt added...i've found them at various grocery stores. Beware though, they have 0 taste.

I normally buy Sara Lee lower sodium meats or Boar's Head reduced sodium. Still, instead of 7 billion mg's of sodium its got like 3 or 4 billion...
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Boar's Head has a reduced sodium/no nitrates lunch meat. I buy that. It's not always possible for me to have time to grill chicken or what not. The Boar's Head is an excellent alternative...but it is expensive to get that one.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Cook your own on the weekends and freeze it
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    is there a medical reason for you to avoid sodium? You need a certain amount of it. My mum was hospitalised recently due to not having enough sodium - she's not a health nut, she eats a normal diet, just follows the standard dietary advice... she had no idea that there was such a thing as too little sodium.

you should have between approx 2-6g a day, so if your daily sodium count is between these values, then don't worry about the sodium in your sandwich meat... if it's taking you above 6g/day and you have a family history of high blood pressure or something then maybe substitute it or reduce sodium somewhere else in your diet.

of course if your doctor told you different then follow your doctor's advice... the above is for the general population with no specific medical issues.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thin N Trim is lower sodium than most.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm mindful of my sodium, for medical reasons, so I do like to limit my lunch meat intake. Egg salad (or just scrambled eggs on toast is good), tuna salad, or just a few slices of lunch meat, then limit my sodium the rest of the day.

Also, if there's a medical reason to watch your sodium, make sure your potassium intake is adequately high. Easier said than done, since most prepackaged items do not have to list the potassium at all on the label. But, eat your veggies and fruit (all have potassium in them), potatoes are a very good source, too.

If there's no medical need, keep the sodium under 4-5g/day (or whatever the upper threshold is, IDK, I aim for lower than 2.5g, but that's per Dr's orders) and stay hydrated. That's all.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Like others have said--grill up a few chicken breasts or even some skirt steak, pork loin with chipotle marinade and use that instead. Homemade food is always lower in sodium and additives than store bought, pre-packaged and processed foods.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Even the "reduced sodium" meats are pretty high in sodium. There are some meats that have no salt added...i've found them at various grocery stores. Beware though, they have 0 taste.

I normally buy Sara Lee lower sodium meats or Boar's Head reduced sodium. Still, instead of 7 billion mg's of sodium its got like 3 or 4 billion...

Agree.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Deli roast beef, on a sandwich with smoked provolone or Swiss cheese and spicy brown mustard; bliss.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    One of the grocers near us has a reduced sodium deli meat and it tastes about the same as the regular deli meat. I get this occasionally when it seems my sodium intake is consistently higher. However I am trying to balance some of the rest of my diet so regular deli meat is not as much of an issue.