Your motivation

Options
When you hit that plateau as far as weight goes, where do you turn, or what do you use to inspire you and light that fire again?

Replies

• Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    I remember why I started the life style change. We all hit "the wall" but it doesn't mean we are only restricted to the distance behind us. We can push through anything if we allow ourselves to. It's a mind game. You have to push through the struggles to experience the accomplishments ahead of them. Stick at it.
  • theoden524
    theoden524 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

If I hit the plateau, I see what else I can change to push through. Sometimes the body adapts and you need to change things up to reach the goal.

Look at what you accomplished so far, you're much farther and better off than when you started. No reason to stop or slow down! I look to see if I can change up the diet a little bit, or even the workouts to pass that barrier. Right now, I'm switching from the last couple weeks of my gym workout into an Insanity home workout. Little more diverse than just running on the elliptical like I have been, and should confuse the body enough to drop few more pounds. :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I too try to shake things up. I will raise or lower my calories depending on where I am at. I will also stop the weights for a week and hit the cardio hard.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I keep at it until the plateau breaks. It can be infuriating but as long as you don't give up you'll get there. I plateaued for a month and have only just started to lose again... We will see if it works out that way!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I remember what I started out like. I remember how awful I felt and how I could not even barely walk. I remind myself I do not want to go back there and even if I never lose another pound I am better off doing what I am now than I am before :) I had 4 month plateau that I just worked through I played with the same 10 lbs those 4 months. Eventually things started moving again, it just took a little patience :)
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    usually when I "plateau" its because I get demotivated and start incorporating crap food into my diet and going over budget.

my motivation is that I've been fat my whole life. im 30 now.

I figure, if I can lose 2 lbs per week, I can be "normal" after about a year to a year and a half.

not a huge investment in my life, and there are people I haven't seen in months/years that I want to show off to once I make it happen.
  • 1973mikeg
    1973mikeg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I usually hit a plateau when i do the same thing for a period of time. That's when I realize my body had adapted. I will change up my foods of my activity. This time of the year I add in biking. During the rest of the year I change my exercise program about every 90 days. I was overweight my whole adult life now that I am 40 I will never go back to the old me again.
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have found that I start dropping weight again if I actually eat MORE. I normally eat 1200 calories (or so) a week, but if I level out and spend a week eating 1400 or 1500 calories most days, I lose more weight. Just switch it up. Do different work outs, eat differently (more calories, fewer, up and down), just do something DIFFERENT from what you WERE doing.