Lowered calorie goal and need help staying full

Options

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a magic number, I would go back to what MFP recommends. You were doing well, why change it.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a magic number, I would go back to what MFP recommends. You were doing well, why change it.

The point of the thread was that I'm asking for ideas/help on foods to stay full. Not about the cal limit.

I'm working with my doctor and a coach on the calorie part but I was hoping to get some tips on the foods from those who have had success or what works for you. I know everyone is different so it may not be the same for me.
    My coach has me on a 6- week challenge that started yesterday and that's why we dropped it to 1200- although last night I decided to try 1300 first then maybe 1200.

Were all on here for the same reasons and love getting ideas from those who have had success. It helps with motivation and I love seeing that it CAN be done because sometimes I'm sure we all feel how hard it can be. According to that fancy scale at the coach place my BMR is 1797 and MFP had recommended 1400 so going down 1-200 doesn't seem so awful.
    Were doing this to break a plateau and hoping kick start the weight loss again and then I'll be going back to the 1400 and see how it goes.

Thank you to all who have given tips and ideas for the foods. My life is a little hectic with not be on able to sit and eat a meal for lunch and having to eat on the go. I know it's not ideal but for now it's what I have to do to make it work. I can't afford a dog walker right now and working 3 jobs(one full time, two part time) I am pressed for time in the morning. Getting up earlier to eat more just makes me too tired when I'm up late working and have to be at work at 6:30 am. Not making excuses just trying to find what will work with my life right now. Have a goal to leave one of those jobs by end of the year if I can. So I'm working extra hard :)
    Two part time jobs are pretty sedentary my full time I'm an xray tech so two and a half days were pretty busy and the other two and a half pretty slow- desk work.

Any websites for recipes or anything that has worked for you means a lot. It motivates me to do it and thats why I love the MFP community. I'm glad we can all do this together. Too hard to do it alone.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    For breakfast (or even lunch), hard boiled eggs are great. 2eggs, string cheese, and some fruit or veggies (even a slice of good bread) can make a good and portable meal.

Thanks. I did get two eggs this morning with some oatmeal. I brought some fruit for a snack and a Greek yogurt for other snack. :)

Hey is it true that cheese stays in your stomach for weeks? My coach told me that it's not the best snack because of that?? I always got those lite string cheese as a snack but now wondering? Your thoughts?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you, I started smaller than you, and lost 1.5 pound a week eating 1600 for months while doing a 20 minute workout a day, and that's it.

Get a new doctor and coach (beachbody coach I assume? Most are clueless. If you do a challenge program, you NEED proper nutrition).
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My apologies, but 1200 is just too hard to maintain with adequate nutrition. I would quit on 1200. If you did not want people to comment on it, I would suggest not posting the 1200 thing. It is a sore subject with everyone. Everyone I know who insisted on limiting themselves to 1200 quit. We all have the same goal, to be successful.

I agree with the oatmeal.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    For breakfast (or even lunch), hard boiled eggs are great. 2eggs, string cheese, and some fruit or veggies (even a slice of good bread) can make a good and portable meal.

Thanks. I did get two eggs this morning with some oatmeal. I brought some fruit for a snack and a Greek yogurt for other snack. :)

Hey is it true that cheese stays in your stomach for weeks? My coach told me that it's not the best snack because of that?? I always got those lite string cheese as a snack but now wondering? Your thoughts?

That is not at all true about cheese. WTF. That coach is an idiot.
  • baleywhary1
    baleywhary1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That calorie count sounds way too low! Are you trying to lose more than 1 lb a week? Healthy weight loss is only up to 1 lb a week. If you eat too few calories your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold on to as much fat as possible. Your metabolism will drop and you'll actually hamper your weight loss abilities!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You need a new plan. Eating in the car is not a good idea. Set your alarm a half hour earlier so that you can have time to eat breakfast and so you do not need to rush to get to work. Do you have time on the weekend to cook some meals that you can have for breakfast during the week? (It does not have to be breakfast food.)
    If you want a breakfast-type of food, try this Baked Oatmeal on the weekend and cut it into pieces for the week:

http://www.jillianskitchen.com/2012/09/03/blueberry-lemon-baked-oatmeal/

Bumping for the recipe, thank you!

OP: 1200 is miserable. MFP is great, but it's pretty straight up generic when setting goals. The best part about this site is the free advice given by people who have done what you want to do in a safe and sustainable way. I would suggest giving this (and all the links referenced in it) a thorough read and set a calorie goal that's more suited to you individually.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

I personally lost most of my body fat eating just below my maintenance calories of 2400. (Which is the purpose, right? Retaining lean body mass while losing fat, not merely "losing weight".) 1200 is not necessary unless you have a medical condition and are being monitored, or you're super short.

Best of luck!!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You need to get rid of the bread and processed food. Add carbs from fruit and veggies, hummuh, white and sweet potatoes can replace bread for starches. If you are still hungry, have a salad, snack on cucumbers and celery. They will help. Also, I eat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a little Stevia for breakfast. You can eat it in the car. Salad with protein and chick peas or beans are good for lunch. I would agree with other posters to up your calorie intake and add some movement/exercise if you want to lose quicker. Tweeking your diet over time is the way to go. Don't rush it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is not true about the cheese.

Open an account on Pinterest and use various search terms.
    They have people who have created plans for once a week cooking:

http://www.pinterest.com/vanze/once-a-week-cooking/
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My apologies, but 1200 is just too hard to maintain with adequate nutrition. I would quit on 1200. If you did not want people to comment on it, I would suggest not posting the 1200 thing. It is a sore subject with everyone. Everyone I know who insisted on limiting themselves to 1200 quit. We all have the same goal, to be successful.

Just because you quit on 1200, doesn't mean that everyone who tries it will quit. There are numerous people on here who did quite well on 1200 and didn't starve, quit, gain all their weight back, lose their hair and nails and muscles, etc.

Like she said, she didn't ask opinions about her cal limit, just wanted some suggestions for staying full on lowered calorie levels.

OP- like others have said, lowering your carbs is your best bet when cutting out calories. Proteins and healthy fats will help you stay fuller, along with lots of non starch veggies. Buy the bagged salads and keep them handy. Add some chicken, turkey, or whatever meat you like, plus cheese, avocados, seeds, nuts, etc. Measure out your toppings so you don't overdo it, and use some low cal dressing, or low carb oil and vinegar, but be sure you measure it. I found Maple Valley Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette is very good, and only 5 cals per serving. They also have a sugar free Raspberry Vinaigrette that is great too.

The veggies really help you feel fuller and if you like to chew your food, it takes care of those urges. Keep a bag of raw carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc handy.

If you have Diabetes in your family, there is a good chance that you are insulin resistant, so lowering starchy carbs is good advice. This doesn't mean cutting out ALL your carbs, just get most of them from fruits and veggies (Non starchy). Cut down on bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.

Omelets are great breakfast or lunch food. You can add mushrooms and any other veggies you like to them to bulk up the volume. You can even just scramble it together if omelets are too difficult and time consuming. You can even throw the eggs into a low carb tortilla (Mission carb balance brand) for an on the go breakfast if you are running late. And even make 2 at a time and keep one for lunch later to pop in the microwave. Get creative. My fave is Ham, cheese, mushrooms, garlic, onions, and spinach, with avocados and a little salsa added after it is done. You can even precook the veggies ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a quick scramble in the mornings.
    I usually use Egg Beaters and fat free cheese to get the protein up and calories down, then adding the avocados gets my healthy fats back in, without a lot more calories. For under 300 cals you can have a skillet full of food that keeps you full for hours.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For me, I found that "breaking the fast" was the start of my hunger cycle for the day, so my best bet was to skip breakfast to save calories and have bigger more enjoyable meals. When I ate breakfast I was hungry every two hours thereafter. Without breakfast, I ate small lunch, then if hungry for a snack in the afternoon, I'd have 5-6 almonds or a low carb yogurt for about 50 calories. That left me enough in my budget for a nice portion controlled any food goes dinner with a small ice cream cone for dessert. Exactly what I needed to feel satisfied and enjoy life while still losing weight.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs and more protein. It's really that simple. And never go more than 4 hours without eating. My cal goal is 1200 and I never eat more than 1000, and I'm full and have tons of energy!

Did you put in your current weight and height? Activity level?

Exercise can allow you more calls, but don't eat them and you'll lose more.

GET RID of processed things like Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits. That's keeping you back more than you know! Eat oatmeal for breakfast. It sticks with you!

Message me if you want to!

THIS ^ would NEVER work for me.... not only because of the lower than necessary calorie limitation, but according to the diary, all she eats is tuna every day. I hate tuna.... and I don't think this is a sustainable way of living, in my opinion.

You have to find what works for you. There are so many people on here who have lost a lot of weight the proper way and will be more than happy to give you safe, healthy, sustainable advice. It's a long-term, lifestyle change.
    Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Agreed! I doubt very much that anything actually stays in the stomach for weeks if you follow a low-processed food lifestyle - stomach acid is strong stuff!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Perfect example of why not to listen to so called 'coaches'.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    I'm older than you, I started smaller than you, and lost 1.5 pound a week eating 1600 for months while doing a 20 minute workout a day, and that's it.

Get a new doctor and coach (beachbody coach I assume? Most are clueless. If you do a challenge program, you NEED proper nutrition).

Again- not the point of this thread.
    No, My coach is not a beach body coach(she isn't any of those types of coaches) I really like and respect my doctor. I don't think telling me to switch my primary is good advice. I wasn't asking for calorie goals or being told my doctor and coach are clueless...I am getting proper nutrition but I was hoping to get some ideas of better things to eat and switch out the foods that aren't so great.

The point of the thread was to get good ideas of the foods that have helped you stay full. That's it. Not about the calories. Not about my doctor ext. I thought we were all on this page for similar reasons and would be motivating. Most of you have been and thanks for that.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    That is not true about the cheese.

Open an account on Pinterest and use various search terms.
    They have people who have created plans for once a week cooking:

http://www.pinterest.com/vanze/once-a-week-cooking/

I never thought of this. Good idea thanks so much.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options

Don't mind if people comment and it's only a short term way to break a plateau. Want to make sure everyone knows it's not permanent. Just trying to break plateau. Then back to my 1400.
    I've always had motivational and helpful responses so that's why it posted here verses somewhere else. But I don't like people telling me my doctor and coach are clueless. Everyone teaches differently and maybe her research is a little different than the next but I trust them and am happy so far. It's only 100-200 calorie drop for a short period of time.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options

lol I went and searched my self and I saw everywhere from 2-3 days to 10 weeks lol. I think that's way too long and I thought that it sounded off that's why I asked to see if it was something I didn't know. Lol the Internet is crazy.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    That calorie count sounds way too low! Are you trying to lose more than 1 lb a week? Healthy weight loss is only up to 1 lb a week. If you eat too few calories your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold on to as much fat as possible. Your metabolism will drop and you'll actually hamper your weight loss abilities!

No it's to break a plateau. It's short term till I can get through the plateau then back to my normal 1400