Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Am I losing weight "too fast"?

Heya guys and gals

I started losing weight via a healthy low calorie diet attempting to reach 1200 calories a day. More often than not it's lower than 1200, I don't feel starved. I eat 3 times a day with plenty of water and sometimes a snack in between. I've bought a bike which I use to commute to work and on my off days ride for about 30 mins, approx 5 miles. Work commute is only 2 miles but burns about the same amount of calories as my workout route due to hills and so forth. I work in retail, am on my feet for like 9-10 hours 4 times a week.

11 May 2014 - 113kg
2 July 2014 - 99.7kg yay under 100kg

What do you guys advise?

My diary password is: indy

Replies

• sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Heya guys and gals

I started losing weight via a healthy low calorie diet attempting to reach 1200 calories a day. More often than not it's lower than 1200, I don't feel starved. I eat 3 times a day with plenty of water and sometimes a snack in between. I've bought a bike which I use to commute to work and on my off days ride for about 30 mins, approx 5 miles. Work commute is only 2 miles but burns about the same amount of calories as my workout route due to hills and so forth. I work in retail, am on my feet for like 9-10 hours 4 times a week.

11 May 2014 - 113kg
    2 July 2014 - 99.7kg yay under 100kg

What do you guys advise?

My diary password is: indy

I personally feel that this is too much, as it works out to be about 30lbs over 8 weeks which is some going!! I would say you'll drop a bit of a chunk in the first week but depending on how much you have to lose (if over 75lbs for example) you should aim to lose about 2lb a week. Less to lose, aim for a 1lb a week.

How much has MFP told you to eat each day? Have you told the system you do this much cycling? I think you need to up your daily intake to try to curb some of this loss.

First off, either record all of your cycling or set up MFP stating that this is your activity level, as I'm quite sure it souldn't be this low!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    1200 calories for an active man is just too little. That's usually a bare minimum number for women, even 1600 total calories for a man is still quite low when you exercise. You're riding this bike all over town, what happens if you pass out? I know that sounds a bit extreme but I would recommend setting your account to 2 lbs per week lost and eat a bit more food per that setting.

Read the 4th post here for ideas on adding calories, some of which may be helpful to you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331494-1200-calories-per-day
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    #1 - there really isn't a such thing as too fast because they are many factors that determine how fast you lose weight plus

#2 the fact that almost anyone who FIRST STARTS a diet and exercise plan will almost always lose way more than 2 pounds there first week becasue of inital water weight loss

#3 - A 300 pound person will lose weight faster than a 200 pound person for example. HECK, a 300 pound person may lose weight faster than a 200 pound person going for a causal walk while the same 200 pound person kills themselves doing t25, nowloss workouts or tae-bo

Usually 1200 is TOO LOW but if you are not starving and you're sure you are tracking calories correctly then more power to you and keep moving on with 1200 so

#4 - see #3 but in reverse for calorie intake... a 300 pound person will lose a lot more eating 1200 than a 200 pound person will
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Don't forget to check the diary per his request. There are 900 calorie days..
  • IndyMatharu85
    IndyMatharu85 Posts: 7 Member
    #1 - there really isn't a such thing as too fast because they are many factors that determine how fast you lose weight plus

#2 the fact that almost anyone who FIRST STARTS a diet and exercise plan will almost always lose way more than 2 pounds there first week becasue of inital water weight loss

#3 - A 300 pound person will lose weight faster than a 200 pound person for example. HECK, a 300 pound person may lose weight faster than a 200 pound person going for a causal walk while the same 200 pound person kills themselves doing t25, nowloss workouts or tae-bo

Usually 1200 is TOO LOW but if you are not starving and you're sure you are tracking calories correctly then more power to you and keep moving on with 1200 so

#4 - see #3 but in reverse for calorie intake... a 300 pound person will lose a lot more eating 1200 than a 200 pound person will
    Appreciated. Is there any truth behind the fact that you will have more excess skin if you lose weight too quickly? Or will the excess skin be the same no matter what?

I honestly find it hard to eat more calories as psychologically it makes me think I'll not lose any weight. And as I said, I don't feel starved at all.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    You are definitely not eating enough. 900-1200 calories for an ACTIVE male? No. No. No. You're doing it all wrong. You should be eating 1800 calories minimum, and that's without factoring in exercise.

Have you seen a doctor to go along with this? If not, you should really be under doctor supervision, and even then, a good doctor will not advocate what you are doing.

You need to eat more. ALOT more.