struggling 72 year old

Options
Hi Everyone;
I have been on diets for at least 50 of my 72 years. I get so frustrated with losing and gaining. Now at this point in my life I can't seem to lose at all. I diet for 3 to 4 weeks and get on the scales and have either stayed the same or gained a pound or two. I have severe arthritis in my legs and am unable to get much exercise. Does anyone out there have any suggestions. I really feel motivated again to get some of this weight off!

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You should be proud that you are so motivated!

You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. You do need to eat fewer calories than your body burns.

Have you talked to a doctor?
  • secwife47
    secwife47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sometime that scale don't want to move. I went all of June only loosing 3 pounds. Bummer, up its moving again. I think when we get older or body gets comfortable with what we weigh. As far as exercise, I found this exercise called Sit and be fit. I found it on my Discovery health channel. Im sure you could find them on line and purchase if necessary. When I started my weight loss journey I did the program. It is geared towards people with limited mobility. I think you should look into it. Its a start to get you moving. And even if you do 10 minutes at a time you have to start somewhere. Good luck and don't give up. Add me as a friend if you like. Ill be here a while.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option for you?

I've got RA but thankfully it's not severe. My primary source of exercise is walking. When I first started I could hardly move and the mornings were pretty tough but now, after keeping at this every day for the last 2 1/2 months, my RA symptoms are so minor that they hardly cause any pain at all.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Unless you open your food diary, it's difficult to give any advice.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Start with logging your food daily to see if you are consuming too many calories. It is easy to underestimate how much we are consuming.
  • faithkyser71
    Options
    Thank you for your encouragement. I will try some of your suggestions.:happy:
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First, it's great you are motivated. I just read a thread about a 40 year old who was saying "ah, life after 40 where motivation is more difficult than ever."

Secondly, try set a calorie goal with your doctor. My fitness pal also has tools to help you set a calorie goal in the "Settings" section under "Update diet/fitness profile."

Finally, be patient and the weight will come off! The slower it comes off the easier it will be to maintain. The downside is it's discouraging. But you'll get there by next year surely.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Log everything that goes in your mouth! Stay at or slightly under your daily calorie goal and walk! This is the healthy and safe way to lose for us boomers!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Good for you, taking charge!

Can you swim? Many community pools and YMCAs keep the pools warm for seniors and have senior water classes. My old Y even had an aqua therapy for hip replacements class. Most Ys wouldn't have that, though. I lived in a city chock full of seniors and they got what they wanted at the Y and the grocery store and everywhere. It was pretty cool. :) most Ys would have a senior aqua class, though!!

Walking is great if you're up for that. It's not too hard on the joints and every little bit helps.