Should I start crossfit?

Options
2»

Replies

• scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks my main problem is that I feel like I'm stuck with my work out routine as it is and the idea of them giving me a different work out of the day seems good for me
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit and love it. Just realize that crossfit is about being generally good at many things. If your goal is to get stronger, there's better ways to do it. If your goal is to increase your endurance, there's better ways to do it. Crossfit is really about NOT specializing. It's not body building, it's not powerlifting, it's not running.

If you want to be in great shape, it'll get you there. Just work hard, take your time learning the movements, and enjoy it.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I am starting my third week :) I need lots of motivation and to be pushed when i work out so crossfit is perfect for me in that aspect. It is by far one of the best decisions I have made regarding working out. It pushes me so hard every workout and I feel exhausted when I leave lol :) I think it really is up to the person but I also love the team feeling with everyone.
  • mike2lane
    mike2lane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on my 5th week of Crossfit, and I love it. Before starting, I had not worked out for my entire life (36 years). I was very weak and out of breath at the beginning, but the coaches stayed on me like glue, critiquing my form, and I have gained so much confidence and get better each time. In my box (5th Ave, NYC), there is no competitiveness between people, except for the teams that are separate and working on regional competitions. In fact, everyone is super supportive and motivational. Even though I started out 50 lbs overweight, not a single person has been anything but great to me. Now that I am getting better, I have chosen to push my goals and seek out personal records, but that was my private choice. I have made so many new friends, and I feel like I have finally found something that I can do forever and never get bored. I highly recommend Crossfit. I hear that there are haters out there, but who ever became successful by listening to the haters? Good luck!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks my main problem is that I feel like I'm stuck with my work out routine as it is and the idea of them giving me a different work out of the day seems good for me

This is one of the biggest reasons I chose CrossFit, I enjoy the variety without having to think too hard about it. I'm in London (UK) and I have never experienced some of the negatives people talk about, bad coaching, pushy, overly competitive people. I do workout pretty early though I go to the 6am class and it's very quiet max is normally about 8 people, (there has been 2 before,) I know the later classes have a different 'vibe' as they are busier. I disagree that it doesn't make you stronger, I have started to noticeably develop muscle in my upper body (but as I had none there to begin with I appreciate what he might mean).

I would say the same thing about CrossFit as I do about other things people suggest, try it out, they always do intro classes I think some places will have offers on (I assume you are US based) you have a lot more choice than the UK do. Worse thing that can happen is you don't enjoy it.

Kudos everyone on not turning this in to a 'CrossFit is the BEST thing ever vs. If you do CrossFit you will DIE as all coaches are rubbish' argument. Fairly played internet.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I vote for continue what you're doing.

Consider getting a coaching session once a week or fortnight.