Is it rude?

Options

Replies

• Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yes I think going to someone's BBQ on a holiday and bringing your own food and enough for just you is rude.

I would bring a dish to share, and then eat all the good food. It's a holiday and you are celebrating it with family, enjoy it. It's one day and will not ruin any progress.

this. Drink plenty of water, log as best you can, and enjoy yourself. You can bring your lunch, but you should make sure you bring enough of something for everyone.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude at all. If you make enough to share it might not come across in a bad way. If his family knows that you have a life style change then they should support it.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an actual special diet that means you can't eat certain things, dont do it. You are going to have to learn to adapt to these events as they will always come. How about you just don't stuff your face? Or you stuff your face and move on, tomorrow is another day.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and whenever we visit my Mother-in-Law she knows my first stop is to Publix where I will buy all of my own groceries.

She doesn't take offense - she is very understanding.

When I'm invited to dinners/events, I tell whomever invited me that I'm a vegetarian - that I'll bring a vegetarian dish to pass along with my own 'main dish' (usually a Morningstar Chik'en) so they don't feel like they have to cater to me (I can just microwave this quickly either at my house before I leave or at the Hosts' house before we eat).

I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't want to starve either - I look at it as taking care of myself.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i dont think its rude no but

why not just enjoy yourself??? its one day
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What's hubby's take on it? Would you feel comfortable calling his parents about it before hand to ask if they mind?

I personally wouldn't care but some people would definitely be offended. One of the last times we had the GPIL over for dinner, it was Easter so I made a big ham dinner. GMIL showed up with some fish claiming she didn't like ham. Didn't bother me but Hubby was really bothered by it. I only wish she would've said something before hand so I could've picked something else we would've all enjoyed together...but that's typical for her, which is a whole 'nother story I won't get into right now...

I agree with some of the PPs who suggested that if they're open to it, bring a side dish or two that are healthier/lighter. I've done this at potluck BBQs before and it does help because you can eat most of your own stuff and then just have a bite or two of other things if you like without worrying about blowing your calories out of the water for the day.

I also agree with the PPs who say to just go with it, make the best choices you can and move on. It's only one day.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty rude.

These events aren't going to stop, and you can't bring your own lunch every time.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Sometimes, I get asked about it, and I just tell them I have to watch my diet closely. I get the occasional, "You could just have some salad," or "you just need to cut out carbs," or other 'expert' advice comments, to which I reply, "No thank you." If they thinks I'm rude, IDGAF. My health is so much more important that what people might think of me for not eating their food. I hate people that think their food offerings are that important or incredible, anyway.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My plan is to get in more exercise than I normally would that day. That way I can have more calories in the bank to enjoy the foods and beverages at my families party. I'm going to have oatmeal for breakfast, a huge salad for lunch and whatever I want at the party! Hope you enjoy the holiday and have fun with your family! :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You didn't get fat from one family outing. Bringing a bag of food might not be the rudest thing you could do, but you will probably be questioned and bring the focus of attention to you, and that won't make for a pleasant situation.

And just because a family decides to cookout and have cookies and whatever for everyone doesn't mean they're "enablers." The only enabler is you and whether you decide to go berserk on the food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on the hosts and other people in attendance. To some it would seem very rude. Others would not mind at all.

I would probably do a variety of the options suggested. I'd get in extra exercise that day or the day before. I would look forward to indulging in a couple of things I don't eat every day...for example, if they were grilling meat I'd probably like that because I only eat meat occasionally in restaurants due to my husband being pescetarian. Or I'd enjoy having a smaller portion of a really indulgent dessert.

I would bring a veggie tray or big salad, too. I'd just want to be prepared. I wouldn't necessarily plan for it to feed a crowd, but make it bigger than individual sized.

I would also bring 1-2 huge bottles of water because a lot of times people only have soda, beer, sweet tea, etc. At least in my area that happens a lot. Ugh.

Good luck and most of all, do not forget to just enjoy the day!
  • lizmedrano
    lizmedrano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would bring enough to share with the family...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's rude. I'd stop inviting you to food festivities at my house if you did that.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna take a different route and think that maybe it's not just your concern about weight gain but that the food prepped by who you'll be visiting may be so disgustingly unhealthy that it really isn't palatable to you anymore.

Had a situation like that this past Christmas when I visited my boyfriend's sister-in-law. She's quite overweight and anything she "cooks" (that's savoury - she'll make sweet things totally from scratch) is basically a reheated amalgamation of various frozen dinners or pre-prepared foods. She quite literally doesn't have anything edible and green in the house. The closest thing you'll get to vegetables at one of her parties is a fruit salad doused in sugar and syrup (and that somehow manages to smell like baby diapers).

I didn't bring anything and I ate as little as I could get by on. Namely because it made my mouth feel like it was coated in grease any time I ate something - and the only thing I didn't mind eating was this chicken-pizza pocket thing she made out of that Pillsbury turnover batter. But there were only 5 of those (and they're about the size of half my palm) and I didn't want to eat all of them to be fair to everyone else.

So I took a bit of other things that didn't smell or taste horrid, spread them around my plate and made do until we left. Then we passed by a convenience store and I had the luxury to buy myself a much larger and more caloric protein bar than I usually can.

If you can work a way to bring in something you can eat - like a salad (tip: a brussel sprout bacon salad is quite often a hit even with people who hate green things - http://pinchofyum.com/bacon-and-brussel-sprout-salad) - and eat that. Get a bit of other things and spread the other things around your plate to make it seem like you're taking more than you are. Eat your salad (a bit of the other things if you're so inclined) and there you are. Call ahead and offer to bring that salad as a thank you - don't mention anything about your diet or needing to accomodate your needs, just push it as a thank you gift and make them feel gracious for inviting you out on a July 4th that you thought you'd be spending alone. If you're feeling cheesy, play it up with a cheap bottle of table wine.

If you can't work a way to bring something in, try not to eat too much (if you don't like how it tastes) and just spread what you take all artsy-like across your plate. But if you do like it, go for it - try to get half a plate of salad (or vegetables if they have any) and then go from there. A day won't kill you in the long run.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Some might view it as "Oh what, our food isn't good enough for you" They might not say it, but may think it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    What do they make that is so bad that you can't eat it without gaining weight? Honestly? There has to be something that you can have that will fit into your macros.

If you are going to bring your own food, bring enough for everyone.

Also, it's one day. At some point, you are going to have to be able to handle one day with different food options.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would bring something to share with the group. You can always bring the leftovers back home and use it as your lunches for the next week.

^^ This is what I was going to suggest, especially if it tends to be a potluck type thing anyway. If you brought your own personal package of food and didn't share, that would indeed be rude, at least it would be considered so among everyone I know.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I am sort of amazed at the people that don't think it is rude. You have accepted someone's invitation, but yet you are telling them that their hospitality and food are not up to your standards. Yeah, exceedingly rude. Even if (especially if?) it is family.

Eat before you go. Bring something to share. Talk to them ahead of time and explain that you are trying to cut calories/eat healthy and want to make sure that you are able to stick to your meal plan so you are bringing something to share. Or just exercise some self-control and limit your portions or say no (you'll have to do this either way, no?)

Or just stay home, eat salad, and be sad. But FTLOG, do not just bring your own food, especially with no advance warning. Exceedingly rude and obnoxious.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with those suggesting to make enough for everyone to share. You can still have some of whatever they'll be serving and work it into your calories for the day.

Do they know that you've changed how you're eating or that you have special things you eat? My sister-in-law brings a turkey burger patty or a veggie burger patty if there's a bbq at my dad's house. No one really cares because we know that's what she's doing. She will also eat a little bit of what's already being served.

It might come across as rude if you just brought something for yourself and didn't eat any of what they'd prepared.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    SO. Is it rude for me to bring my own packaged lunch?

Um, no. It isn't a judgement on their food, or them personally. Of course you could always just moderate eating what they cook, or not worry so much about one day of eating.