giving in to REALLY changing what i eat *defeated head hang*

Options
2»

Replies

• jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone available to do last minute alterations on your wedding dress? Crash dieting two months before the wedding doesn't sounds like a great idea.
    I bought my dress last year. This is so I can fit into it again ... I really only NEED to lose and inch in my middle but a few more definitely won't hurt. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Since your primary goal is to lose inches, I suggest you start heavy lifting with free weights along with your calorie deficit. Lifting is the best for improving body composition. Two months is just enough time to start to see some changes. Look up any of the following and follow the program. Make sure you research the form on the lifts.

StrongLifts
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting (multiple versions, just pick one)

Couple of other things. First, the others are right - low carb, salt, etc, not necessary, no evidence that will drop inches faster than any other diet. No reason that lowering salt intake would improve anything affected by high cholesterol unless you also have high blood pressure. Second, eat at a calorie deficit, but don't go nuts and do a VLCD. Third, if you lift, get 1 g of protein per (0.8 * your body weight) per day to preserve your lean body mass while dieting.

And fourth - don't push a twisted ankle. Those tendons and ligaments take while to heal, and if you push them again, you're likely to end up with an even worse injury.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    carbs spike your insulin ...the idea is to keep your blood sugar stable all day and cravings down by restricting to proteins and fats.

There's not an accurate statement. Both proteins and carbohydrates cause insulin levels to rise, and the amount varies by type of food. Some carbohydrate foods have low insulin scores.

To control hunger, it's best to look for foods that have a high satiety score -- satiety is the feeling of fullness after a meal. Meats in general tend to have high satiety scores (fish is very high), but so do some carbohydrates, such as oatmeal, potatoes, apples, and whole-wheat pasta. High-fat foods generally have low satiety scores, because they are calorie-dense and not very filling.

Do low-carb if you want. I've done it in the past, and it works, but you've really got to want to eat that way long term; otherwise, you're likely to gain the weight back after you stop. I find it much easier to maintain my weight eating things like oatmeal, brown rice, chicken, fish, vegetables, and fruit. Cutting out foods that add a lot of calories without filling you up (like candy, etc) is key. Eating five meals a day also helps keep me from feeling hungry throughout the day.

Maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight, and if hunger is an issue, focus on foods that leave you feeling fuller longer.
    I've never understood how potatoes end up on these lists. I've never found potatoes satisfying (except perhaps deep fat fried). Potatoes just make me ravenous. the others, yes. And, for me, fat is very satisfying. dunno