Elliptical From Hell?!?!?!

Options
So they have these orange and gray work out machines at my gym (24 Hour Fitness) that SUCK!!!! They look kinda like an elliptical, but don't let that fool you.

I usually only do 10 minutes on them at a time since they kick my *kitten*, but I burn more calories per min at a moderate pace than I do almost running on a reg elliptical.

I made up my own exercise on here and called it the "elliptical from hell" cause I didn't want to feel silly asking ppl what the machine was called. I just put elliptical from hell, how many minutes I complete and the I use the number of calories the machine says I burned.

I was researching today and I found out its actually called an adaptive motion trainer. That almost sounds as awesome as the elliptical from hell. Either way it sucks haha.

Does anyone else like/hate these machines?

Replies

• tanias11
    Options
    i know exactly what you are talking about. at my gym they just call it a stairmaster. and i LOVE it. at first i could only do like 10 mins but now im on it if not the whole time, most of my time at the gym. my usual days are about 40 mins.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes, the AMT machine - my trainer had me doing squats while "peddling" on them in intervals with full out 'skiing/running' ...the extra calorie burn is supposed to come from the full body movement and wider range of motion than the elliptical. But elliptical from hell could be a good name for it as well ;-)
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it might be an ARC trainer? I know that it totally kicks my butt at my gym!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I love those for intervals. My gym locally doesn't have them yet.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I use that sometimes, but I think I am still a bit too heavy for it because the entire thing shakes as I use it.
  • fullagrace
    Options
    Haha it shakes when im on it too.

I also sweat like crazy.

Prob around the same around id sweat if I actually were in hell which gives even more weight to the name.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's very similar to an arc trainer. They are definitely tough machines and it takes some time to get used to them. I love the arc trainer, though. When I first started I could only do about 10 minutes before my legs were killing me, but after a few weeks I easily got up to 30 minutes, I've even done 45.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah my gym has two of those b@stards. I call it the @ss Kicker. I can only do about ten minutes. And then I see women that are in the 60's on there for 30 minutes and hold my head in shame.

That thing is a work out, I will give it that!

See now I don't think they are like arc trainers at all. Maybe in that they make you stand kind of at an odd angle. I LOVE the arc trainers and too can go for 1/2 hour + on them..they feel like riding a bike without a seat to me. Took me a long time to explain to people what they feel like. They sure are easy on your knees and ankles too because they are so fluid.
  • sltb
    sltb Posts: 15
    Options
    I love love love this machine. :) Can we still be friends?! So much more difficult than elliptical but it feels like I'm really getting something out of it. And I love that you can move really far backwards and forwards or use it like a stairmaster and climb. No doubt it's tough but......
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I might give it a try again today.. I just hope I do not flip it! LOL
  • gtfosnorlax
    Options
    I just tried this today. I was shocked at how tired I was after 10 minutes but I was able to push myself to do 30 minutes.
    After this I got on the regular Elliptical and was surprised to see that resistance level 9 was a piece of cake and had to go up to about 11 to feel like I wasn't just coasting. I'm going for the 60 minutes on the AMT tomorrow.

I do like the name Elliptical From Hell, though. I was calling it a torture machine; it sure looks like one.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am on a Army Post and we have 4 or 5 gym and I have never seen one of these things. I had to Google it just to see a pic. It looks crazy and cant wait to find one to try.
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I love it as well but does anyone know how to track the cardio for it? It is not in the database. Thanks!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I love it as well but does anyone know how to track the cardio for it? It is not in the database. Thanks!
    Just track it as cardio?

I track every exercise I do as cardio...its just easier...but I know some people like to be more specific.
  • citygirl17
    citygirl17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look for an AMT next time I visit a friend's gym - mine doesn't have them & you've all got my curiosity piqued! I'll agree the ARC kicks my butt - that and the Stairmaster. You'll build up your time, just keep on using it!