Combining Insanity and P90X3

Options
logicman69
logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
Hi guys.

I have completed both Insanity and P90X3. Both are great programs and there are definitely things I like about each. P90X3 has nice quick workouts (30 minutes), great weights routines, and I actually like the yoga routine for stretching (surprisingly), but I feel like I don't get a good calorie burn. With Insanity, well... nothing gets your heart rate up like Insanity. No matter what DVD I do, I feel like I am pushing my limits. But its mainly focused on lower body and cardio.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully combined the 2 routines into one "Super Workout"? I was thinking of following the regular Insanity schedule, but adding in some of my favorite P90X3 routines every other day as well. So for 3 out of the 6 days, I would be doing doubles. The schedule I envision would probably look something like this:

Day 1: Fit Test (Insanity)
Day 2: Eccentric Upper (p90x3) & Plyometric Cardio Circuit (Insanity)
Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance (Insanity)
Day 4: Incinerator (p90x3) & Cardio Recovery
Day 5: Pure Cardio (Insanity)
Day 6: The Challenge (p90x3) & Plyometric Cardio Circuit (Insanity)
Day 7: Rest Day (optional Yoga from p90x3)

I dubbed this routine "Brutality".. lol

I was wondering about opinions, or if anyone has a better option. Obviously I am worried about burnout, especially during month 2 of Insanity when the workouts rev up a bit. Or does anyone have a better schedule?

Thoughts? Comments? Flame War?

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think that looks pretty solid. Is your goal general fitness, to build, or lose? Both of those programs are good high intensity resistance exercises but that is mainly cardio. If you are looking for a little more muscle, you'll need to pick up some heavy shiz...

As long as you're eating decent and you don't have a super active job or hobby then burnout shouldnt be a problem. Just be mindful of your body and if its asking for a rest, give it one.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    would also ask what your goals are.

if you want to look muscular, then your going to want to keep a reasonable defecit. Which ulitmately means your going to have to eat more when doing all that extra work... which may be appealing but also costs money.

IMO, added workouts can be counter productive unless your training for an athletic event, or you don't care about losing muscle and you just want to indiscriminately blast pounds off.

personally i just did 2-3 gym lift days on top of insanity of p90x. it occupied more then enough of my time if you ask me.
  • logicman69
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I think as far as goals right now. Its to loose the weight and blast off fat. I have a good solid base of muscle, but need to shed a layer or 2 of fat. I realize that I will be loosing some muscle along the way, that is why I wanted to add in the weight training routines of P90X3, hopefully to put some of that off. I have also upped my calorie intake as well to compensate.

As for that beachbody calendar, thank you. I didn't know they had those. Are those user created? Or from BeachBody themselves.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid (schedule also from the beachbody website). it goes well until I reach the last month and longer insanity workouts. Then I seem to burn out pretty quickly. now with the heat and humidity of summer I can hardly seem to get through the shorter insanity workouts so that's what I am sticking with for now. I also love the combination of P90x weights and the cardio from insanity. Great hybrid.
  • logicman69
    Options
    I'm currently doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid (schedule also from the beachbody website). it goes well until I reach the last month and longer insanity workouts. Then I seem to burn out pretty quickly. now with the heat and humidity of summer I can hardly seem to get through the shorter insanity workouts so that's what I am sticking with for now. I also love the combination of P90x weights and the cardio from insanity. Great hybrid.

Burn out is definitely what concerns me, especially with the heat. That last month of insanity is brutal!
  • DominiqueRobinson28
    DominiqueRobinson28 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It would be feasible if you did one program in the am and another in the evening. You would have to make sure you get alot of rest because the second month of insanity is hard.
  • iveyyoung
    iveyyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for an Insanity / X3 Hybrid ever since P90X3 came out. Has anyone done the beachbody's X3/Insanity hybrid that is posted above?
  • iveyyoung
    iveyyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    logicman69 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I have completed both Insanity and P90X3. Both are great programs and there are definitely things I like about each. P90X3 has nice quick workouts (30 minutes), great weights routines, and I actually like the yoga routine for stretching (surprisingly), but I feel like I don't get a good calorie burn. With Insanity, well... nothing gets your heart rate up like Insanity. No matter what DVD I do, I feel like I am pushing my limits. But its mainly focused on lower body and cardio.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully combined the 2 routines into one "Super Workout"? I was thinking of following the regular Insanity schedule, but adding in some of my favorite P90X3 routines every other day as well. So for 3 out of the 6 days, I would be doing doubles. The schedule I envision would probably look something like this:

Day 1: Fit Test (Insanity)
    Day 2: Eccentric Upper (p90x3) & Plyometric Cardio Circuit (Insanity)
    Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance (Insanity)
    Day 4: Incinerator (p90x3) & Cardio Recovery
    Day 5: Pure Cardio (Insanity)
    Day 6: The Challenge (p90x3) & Plyometric Cardio Circuit (Insanity)
    Day 7: Rest Day (optional Yoga from p90x3)

I dubbed this routine "Brutality".. lol

I was wondering about opinions, or if anyone has a better option. Obviously I am worried about burnout, especially during month 2 of Insanity when the workouts rev up a bit. Or does anyone have a better schedule?

Thoughts? Comments? Flame War?

Logicman, what did you do for month 2?