Is it rude?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    never said anything about you though:laugh: sorry if you decided to take one random post personally.

I assure you that I'm not taking it personally. I'm just fine with what I eat and drink. I was merely making a point that calling people who enjoy BBQ food pigs is not entirely accurate.

ETA: Also making a point for others that it's entirely possible to maintain a healthy weight while enjoying awesome food. Sustainable weight loss is about balance. It's not about demonizing food or calling people pigs for enjoying a treat now and then.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    A) It's one day. If one day is going to derail your progress entirely, you should reevaluate your definition of "progress"

B) Think carefully about your definition of "bad" and "good" foods. Food is inherently neither, and ultimately you decide what you put in your mouth

C) Bring something to share, if you are going that route, or take the opportunity to practice the other HUGE part of successful weight loss and maintenance: portion control and willpower in the real world, where you ultimately have little control over what comes across your path
  • PRMinx
    Options
    yes it's rude.

eat something healthy before you go, and also bring something healthy to share. find one of the healthiest items at the event. it's july fourth, surely they're having a typical american bbq? some burgers, brisket, sausages or something? that's not bad food at all (maybe hot dogs a little). enjoy yourself.

and congrats on the progress.

So much this. Hamburgers are actually a great food depending on what you put on them. Mmmmm....burgers.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    you haven't been to my husband's family bbq's.
    stuff like baked beans, 3 layer bean dips, loaded cheesey nachos, potato chips, hamburgers and hotdogs. I would faint if they actually had fruit..or a plate of veggies.

it is garbage to me, because i would not have any of this junk in my house...just because I feel strongly enough to not want to eat it and lose everything I worked for, does not make me rude.

There is moderation and eating normal portions of this stuff..then there is his entire family that eats about 5 servings of everything..yes, to me..that is being a pig.

If an ounce of your contempt for this situation shows itself there, yeah, you're rude. Get over yourself.
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your bbq's :laugh:
    I usually bring something heathier, I care about what I put into my body. there is nothing wrong with someone eating hamburgers lol and there is nothing wrong with me not wanting to eat them.. Sorry my self control offends you, I was only being honest.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I usually bring something heathier, I care about what I put into my body. there is nothing wrong with someone eating hamburgers lol and there is nothing wrong with me not wanting to eat them.. Sorry my self control offends you, I was only being honest.

Passive aggressive much?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

There's a difference between self control (yay) and calling people pigs (boo).
  • PRMinx
    Options

Yes, you are so right. Your self control totally offends me. I would much rather eat lettuce all day and call it self control than eat a wide variety of food in moderation. I would much rather demonize food than see at fuel for my body and my workouts.

Sh&t, I must be doing this all wrong.
  • BrittanyMG3
    Options
    I didn't post to get into arguments with anyone, I posted in reply to the original question..i know how frustrating it can be feeling trapped with no healthy options.. I am not full of myself..I was only trying to express my opinion that she should NOT feel bad for wanting to eat healthier during a holiday! Shouldn't she be PRAISED for self control? if she doesn't want to eat it, i don't understand why people are trying to encourage her to eat it anyway...some people can't eat that stuff even ONCE or they keep craving, that is why I act like the stuff is laced in anthrax..if I ate it, I would struggle and I have come too far to mess up now..

best of luck to all of you.
  • BrittanyMG3
    Options
    I am on the 21 day fix program but SURE whatever helps you guys feel better about yourselves... totally beat down someone on the internet.. thanks a lot.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I didn't post to get into arguments with anyone, I posted in reply to the original question..i know how frustrating it can be feeling trapped with no healthy options.. I am not full of myself..I was only trying to express my opinion that she should NOT feel bad for wanting to eat healthier during a holiday! Shouldn't she be PRAISED for self control? if she doesn't want to eat it, i don't understand why people are trying to encourage her to eat it anyway...some people can't eat that stuff even ONCE or they keep craving, that is why I act like the stuff is laced in anthrax..if I ate it, I would struggle and I have come too far to mess up now..

best of luck to all of you.

First of all, no one is telling her she HAS to eat anything. We are merely saying that there are BBQ foods that can and will fit reasonably in with most macro targets. Because the point of this site is to learn how to fit every day foods into a healthy overall diet. It's about balance, not elimination.

Second of all, if you had phrased it this way to begin with, no one would have called you out. But, you didn't. You called perfectly fine food garbage and the people who eat it pigs. I never personally attacked you. I said the comment was rude and it was. You, on the other hand...
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I am on the 21 day fix program but SURE whatever helps you guys feel better about yourselves... totally beat down someone on the internet.. thanks a lot.

And what are you going to do after your 21 day fix?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I think that it's more socially acceptable to bring something to share (and then exclusively eat your own dish) than to show up with lunch just for yourself. I would bring a big, hearty salad with dressing on the side and watermelon. Who doesn't like watermelon on the 4th of July?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    it's a celebration... and so long as you are prepared to pay for your miss deeds in the way of exercise after the fact I think I would give you a pass and suggest that it IS OKAY to junk it up a little... just so long as they don't find you hiding in a closet the next morning with a big chocolate ring around your mouth... and a case of empties (cake tins and cookie boxes that is)...

YOU treat yourself right... so that YOU CAN have days like the 4th... and Birthdays... and Chrsitmas... etc..etc... don't worry have fun... and put the scale away for a day... BE part of the celebration...
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't bring your own food and then proceed to munch on what ever else is offered, I don't see it as rude. My cousin got called out at the last family get together for bringing her own special food, but then she also has some of the food offered at the get together. That was rude.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I think that it's more socially acceptable to bring something to share (and then exclusively eat your own dish) than to show up with lunch just for yourself. I would bring a big, hearty salad with dressing on the side and watermelon. Who doesn't like watermelon on the 4th of July?

This guy haha
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    What if you called you mother in law and explained your situation. Tell her you are doing so well and dont want to go over board. Would she mind if you brought your own little snack to have along with her wonderful holiday offerings.

Yes. It's rude unless you do something like this ^^^. It will still come off better if you bring enough to share, though.

As a hostess, I expect people with special dietary restrictions, even if it's just 'I really hate X food' to tell me about them ASAP (I ask), or to let me know that they will provide for themselves so I can plan accordingly.

Just explain that you don't want to put her to any trouble and know that making special dishes is a hassle. Be prepared if she insists on making something for you anyway.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,947 Member
    Options
    Relating explicitly to your question "Is it rude?" -- Yes, if you're talking proper etiquette, it's quite rude.

But if you explain to them BEFORE the event what you're trying to achieve then it wouldn't be.

So my suggestions are to talk to them and then bring a dish to share. Alternatively, skip the meal part of the evening - show up late/leave early.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My aunt lost 100lbs a while back. When we would have family gatherings she did bring food that she could eat. She took personally responsibility for what she ate and didn't expect the family to change any of the dishes to accommodate her. She did bring several servings so the dish could be passed if others wanted to try it. She has managed to be able to keep off a good portion of the weight she lost too.
  • 30prospect
    30prospect Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you have a good relationship with them, tell in-laws ahead of time... maybe they will be accommodating. If not, eat before you go, nibble on their stuff eat the frank and skip the bun etc. a little watermelon, a little coleslaw. Can always treat yourself to a big salad when you get home. I know that sometiems it is very calming to me to remind myself "You don't have to eat here."