Tempted by FREE goodies !! Help!!

Options
124»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That "free" food can be awfully expensive. It really depends on what you put the most value on.....a dollar bill or your health.

See. Now I took this to mean - do you care more about being rich...or being life-threateningly overweight.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I deal with this too. I have to find a way to reframe my mind around those types of situations. I can only white knuckle it for so long.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yeah, I deal with this too. I have to find a way to reframe my mind around those types of situations. I can only white knuckle it for so long.

It's not off-limits at all. You can't have it today - look at your diary. But if you eat a lighter breakfast, you'll be able to fit it in tomorrow. Or maybe you could eat a light supper today and carry over the calories tomorrow. What treat is it that you want? How many calories do you need to fit it in?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this problem, too. I've been poor all my life growing up, and free food was always a big deal, and also ties into my "waste not" upbringing.

What has helped me is to remind myself of my "Three Golden Truths" of food:

1. Just because it's there doesn't mean I have to have some.
    2. Just because it's free doesn't mean I have to eat it.
    3. Nothing bad will happen if I do not eat any of it.

When you employ logic and not emotion when confronted with food you know you probably shouldn't have, it suddenly becomes quite easy. :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    All great replies - thanks to everyone. Yes I even agree with the hardcore "learn self-control" responses even though I'm still working on that . It's not easy for me but it doesn't make the advice any less helpful :/
  • likitisplit
    Options
    All great replies - thanks to everyone. Yes I even agree with the hardcore "learn self-control" responses even though I'm still working on that . It's not easy for me but it doesn't make the advice any less helpful :/

It's not easy for anybody. But all the tricks are just a means to that final end :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

It's not easy for anybody. But all the tricks are just a means to that final end :)

^ totally agree.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    FREE Donuts are the worst! lol.
    Sometimes I split one with a coworker, but if I don't want to give up the calories I refrain. OR...I go over which accomplishes nothing.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Pick and choose

That's my mantra when an eating pattern is problematic.

Just have free treats that are special.
    Make sure you are eating filling foods so the hunger doesn't trip you.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Nothing is free. If it's not yours, it's not yours. Leave it alone.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Also I was using this idea at some point-

Why should other people dictate your treats and snacks? You can 'save' your calories for something really good that you personally really love, and then truly indulge. It'll be something you chose to have, something you planned for and can have without guilt. When you see free food think about it. Look at that stale cookie and say- I will not waste my calories on you because then I can have something so much better.

Be the master.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not easy for anyone. Someone said that about me, right in front of me. "It's easy for her..."

I wanted to be like, "Easy?! EASY?! Are you freaking kidding me?! This is SO HARD! I have worked SO HARD!" But I bit my lip. :)

Most people know what you're going through. It takes a lot of work. You have to be so determined to Not Fail. Even when you've developed the good habits, you're going to have your moments.

It's an uphill climb, for sure. But a nice sense of accomplishment when you look better and the doctors are pleased and (if anything is wrong) the labs come back improved. Really. Awesome. :)

Hang in there. You can do it! :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to walk by free food without partaking. Now that I'm counting calories, I just naturally stopped (most of the time). Do I really want to waste 200 calories on that cookie when I could eat something yummier later?

Sometimes I still will grab a little bit of something and just work it into my day. But I find that it's usually not as good as it looks.
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Giving up sweets was actually the easiest thing for me. Sodium is the hardest. Red meat was a struggle and remains one.

There's really no reason to give up red meat as long as you avoid factory farmed meat. It actually contains nutrients that you need such as iron and B vitamins
  • Jbower1025
    Jbower1025 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. There is always free food at my work...chips, cookies, cakes, chocolate candy...and I love my sweets!! I'm having such a hard time resisting and alot of the times I end up eating these sweets and then a minute later hating myself for doing it but it doesn't stop me the next time. I wish I had the self control to resist. I am just so weak when it comes to sweets. But I know I need to work on this and it helps knowing there are many others that have the same troubles I do.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Has not been mentioned in this thread but I have read in similar threads people who have success in resisting temptation by mentally thinking of disgusting things that could of happened to the food - someone sneezed on it, someone went to the toilet and touched the food without washing their hands, a cockroach crawled over it - that sort of thing.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I love free food too.

Just fit it into your calorie/macro goals and you wont have a problem. There is nothing wrong with cake and cookies
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I love free food too.

Just fit it into your calorie/macro goals and you wont have a problem. There is nothing wrong with cake and cookies

Yes this is true and the fit it in strategy has its moments too.

However there is only so much and on so many occasions that it can fit - so some strategies for resisting temptation are good too.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Has not been mentioned in this thread but I have read in similar threads people who have success in resisting temptation by mentally thinking of disgusting things that could of happened to the food - someone sneezed on it, someone went to the toilet and touched the food without washing their hands, a cockroach crawled over it - that sort of thing.

This is excellent... it never occurred to me to do that in those situations even though I've done it with other food (like fried cheese sticks... imagining finding a cockroach in the middle of one... ewwwwwwwww). Thanks for reminding me of this tip.