Heart Monitor versus treadmill

Options
I worked out about 40 minutes at 3.8 on the treadmill. My treadmill is about the cheapest one from Walmart but it says I burned 180 calories. My heart rate monitor says I burned 536 for an average heart rate of 134. That sounds to high to me. Other activities with the monitor seem to be accurate so any advise? Which sounds right?

Replies

• forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does your heart rate monitor know how much you weigh? If so its the more accurate IMO.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I always trust my heart rate monitor. I burn 509 calories doing an elliptical for 60 minutes when my average heart rate is 145.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    does your HRM have a chest strap?
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    always trust a HRM over a machine.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Thats close to mine I keep my heart rate at 132 and yes it does need to know your weight, age and sex
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    The treadmill one is def not accurate if you are waling at 138. I would trust the HRM! Does your treadmill program your weight?
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do have a chest strap and entered my weight into the monitor but not the treadmill. Dang, I've been burning a whole lot more calories in the last month and a half than I thought.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem!!! My HRM is way off the other way...boo:sad: I did a 35 minute workout video and it registered that I only burned 37 calories...yah right! I must be doing something wrong.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem!!! My HRM is way off the other way...boo:sad: I did a 35 minute workout video and it registered that I only burned 37 calories...yah right! I must be doing something wrong.

There's no way you only burned 37 calories in 35 minutes, lol.

Do you have a chest strap? If so, maybe the batteries need replacing.

I find I have to remember to tighten the strap as I lose weight, otherwise it doesn't make contact and read my heart rate very well. Also, make sure to keep it clean!

GENERALLY speaking, I'd always trust a HRM over what the machine tells you.