Hard-boiled eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The keep for quite a long time, actually. I even read somewhere that once they are cooked, something happens to a certain enzyme in them that keeps them from spoiling. (I could be wrong, it just hard it somewhere, lol) They keep in the shell refrigerated, or if you shell them and store them submerged in pickle juice, they can keep for weeks and weeks. They slowly soak up the pickle juice, and eventually turn varying shades of green, depending on how long they've steeped. It makes them taste like potato salad, and they're delicious. We call them "rattlesnake eggs". :smile: My two year old is obsessed with them, and cries when they're gone, because it takes a few days for them to really get good.

Hrm. that sounds good. We plunk them in the liquid from picked beets, but this sounds like a nice change of pace.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yes, according to the food and drug...a week is just fine. I've had them a week old and they tasted fine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The keep for quite a long time, actually. I even read somewhere that once they are cooked, something happens to a certain enzyme in them that keeps them from spoiling. (I could be wrong, it just hard it somewhere, lol) They keep in the shell refrigerated, or if you shell them and store them submerged in pickle juice, they can keep for weeks and weeks. They slowly soak up the pickle juice, and eventually turn varying shades of green, depending on how long they've steeped. It makes them taste like potato salad, and they're delicious. We call them "rattlesnake eggs". :smile: My two year old is obsessed with them, and cries when they're gone, because it takes a few days for them to really get good.

Works with any pickling liquid - we used to use the liquid from pickled beets. Turned the eggs a pretty pinkish red, and if you like pickled beets, a nice subtle flavor.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    at least two weeks- if not longer.

I can say because I do it regularly- I typically make a dozen or so eggs at a time- and eat them randomly.

I haven't tried pushing it past 2-3 weeks- but you can tell if they are bad- eggs are not something you have to guess at when they go bad. LOL
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for hard-boiled, but I make a frittata every sunday, and by friday the slices in the fridge are still good. Been doing this for a long time, have not become sick yet.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Mine have been in the fridge for about two weeks....I'm doing ok so far! :bigsmile:
  • ontherightpath14
    ontherightpath14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love mashing a hardboiled egg with 1/2 an avocado! YUMMY!
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love mashing a hardboiled egg with 1/2 an avocado! YUMMY!

That sounds delicious!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yup
    I do it all the time for my daughter
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A week, easy. No problem at all.
  • CurvyDiva190
    Options
    First of all, no question is a silly question. :-) I love boiled eggs too and I found they can last as long as a week. Be careful however, because if it soft boiled it keeps less time. Either hard boiled or soft make sure you always refrigerate.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I boil mine, run them under cold water, dry them off, and store them (still shelled) in a Tupperware bowl every Sunday. I eat one every day M-F and I've never had an issue.
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    Eggs are my thing. I love eggs. Yes is the answer. I have never had a problem.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've kept them around for a work week - like boil them on Sunday and eat them through Thurs/Fri. But I would not try any longer than that. They get a horrible smell and taste if you wait too long and they go off.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Is this the cheap person's method of pickling eggs? ;)

No idea. It was introduced to me by my in-laws, and they're the cheapest, trashiest, hillbilliest people I know, so probably. :laugh:
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    They should be fine for the week. And if you want to eat it warm, just peel it and drop it in a cup of hot water for few minutes and you are good to go.