Water per day for someone over 400lb

Options
All the water drinking calculations say i should be drinking over 200 oz of water a day and to me that is totally unreasonable. I think the formula does not scale up to us bigger guts. I have been drinking between 64 and 96 oz a day and that even took me a little bit to manage.

I have lost 16 lb in 6 weeks and i want to ramp things up, maybe i am not drinking enough water or not getting enough exercise but i feel my weight loss slowing down and i don't want it to.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The rules are arbitrary and not based on any science.

Check the color of your urine:
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401328/Urine-the-Wrong-Color.html
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    my weight loss slowed after the first month, and i read here that so do a lot of other people's. do some additional walking and that should burn some more calories.

btw, i'm only 5' 3" and i rarely drink as much water as i read i should (and my doctor says i should), but that's the same amount of water the doctor recommended to my 6' 7" husband. my urine is always very light in color, i feel fine, and i'm not going to overfill my stomach with water till i slosh.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I think 96 oz is reasonable depending on your activity level, that comes out to about 12, 8 oz glasses a day. If your urine is mostly clear/light yellow you should be fine. Don't be in too big of a hurry to lose the weight, slow and steady is a good thing :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    the whole you have to drink X amout of glasses a day is stupid idea, I just drink until my urine is a pale yellow colour. You have to remember you also get water from alot of foods you eat.
  • jardane1
    jardane1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a great 32oz bottle that makes drinking water very easy, i am trying to make drinking more water a habit but sometimes i need to remember to drink even when i am not thirsty so i get enough to keep my weight loss going.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss won't slow down or speed up due to changes in water intake. If you listen to your body and your urine isn't cloudy or dark, you're fine.