127 pounds later and my stomach still is huge!

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I hear you sweety. It's definitely not as big as it was before - that's just your mind telling your awful things and you know better. Just look at your profile picture!! It's not as pretty as you hoped though and that can be disappointing.

You admitted yourself that you still have a ways to go to get to goal and know you'l have to do surgery so start saving up for it right away. I went in for a consultation earlier this year and had a bit of sticker shock even though I had a rough idea of how much it'd be. Thing with elective surgery that I didn't realize/know is that you have to pay up front - it's not like other procedures where they let you finance over time. So I'll probably have to wait at least another year and in the meantime I'm doing some prep work (also doing boobs so mammogram, continuing to lose weight and exercise), plan to get a 2nd opinion and am saving as much as I can. And hopefully someday it'll happen.

Acceptance is a big part of it too. If I had the money, I'd do my whole body as I also have loose skin everywhere - upper arms, neck, thighs, upper back/under arms. But that's not gonna happen unless I win the lottery that I rarely play (lol) so I'm settling for fixing just my stomach and boobs as those are the most important to me. Most everything else looks good under clothing and pretty much every woman deals with bat wings...but I want my sexy full boobs back and I want to not have a stomach roll forever.

I know I did this to myself and consider this a combination of a trophy and battle scars. It's a way to remind myself of both how far I've come and how important it is to never to go back to being obese because of what it can do to the body - not just bad for health but bad for appearance. It can be tough on the ego sometimes but I know deep down that I'm still a good and beautiful person, as are you, and that's all that really matters.

P.S. Have you considered compression clothing or spanx to help with how it looks under clothes? No shame in spanx - I know girls who look perfectly skinny to me who wear them just to smooth out the so-called lumps and bumps
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    *hugs* I think you're wonderful.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    First off, you have done a tremendous thing, congrats. Second, our past abuses sometimes come with a cost. Our bodies were put through hell and "some' damage may occur. I know, it is harder for women, as men can flaunt their guts and not many judge them. I am sorry, but it happens. You have come soooooooooo far, so be proud. I do understand, when my wife took my pic for the before, with out my shirt on, I almost wept at how I looked. Stretch marks and this barrelous belly. But, I don't care, I know now I am doing something positive, and my chance at posing for GQ has long passed. Hold your head up, young lady. You have earned it. Peace.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    What I've experienced so far is that the bumps and lumps continue to be bumps and lumps now, just smaller ones, while my overall shape continues to be the same. As a prior responder said, I feel more self conscious now than I did when I was at my heaviest due to the saggy skin. I hate to wear sleeveless shirts and shorts now, which is tough to avoid in the summer.

I'm sharing this so that you know others understand. What I've chosen to do is embrace the smaller me while covering the parts I'm not so happy with yet. A good compression garment (Spanx or the like) has become my friend when wearing fitted dresses. It gives me a nice smooth look that I really enjoy. Thin cardigans and shrugs allow me to wear sleeveless shirts to work or out with confidence. Capris and knee length shorts are great for covering up my thighs. I even like fitted spandex type long shorts with an oversized tshirt that hangs long enough to cover my behind and tummy.

Try out different styles to see if there's something you feel good in. It's ok to embrace the smaller you, even though you haven't gotten to your goal yet and aren't totally thrilled with the results so far. You have truly come a long way already and I hope you can see past the bumps to enjoy where you are at now. You've earned it.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Wow looking at your picture we can all see the amazing progress you have made. Your stomach by no means looks the same :) I know what you mean though and that is something we just have to learn to accept. Somedays I look in the mirror when I am getting dressed and still see the almost 470 lb person I was. Its our view and our self image. Other's do not see what you are seeing. It is going to take time and lots of adjustment in how you view yourself. After 3 years I can finally look in the mirror somedays and be happy with where I am at now :) It will come but you have to encourage it also. Lots of positive self talk helps :) Remind yourself how much healthier you are. Take pictures of your body for you too look at and see the difference, compare them side by side so you can see just how far you have come and train your mind to know what the new you really looks like. :) Congrats on becoming a even healthier you :)
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Problem is I pretty much want to cover everything up....if I could hide in hoodies and yoga pants all the time I would!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I know it feels like it, but I guarantee if you had photos your stomach IS a lot smaller. I'm in the same boat. Stomach still big and will never be small. I stretched it out too much from being over weight for years and waiting til I was over 50 to lose it. Great waited til I have practically no elasticity in my skin. Enjoy your great accomplishment.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Problem is I pretty much want to cover everything up....if I could hide in hoodies and yoga pants all the time I would!

I understand.
    Why I have not had as much to lose or have lost as much, but it is understandable. It is mental and it is hard to get over the fact that we need to love what we got. The website that was given to you: http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/swimwear.html is a fantastic website, I have been to it before. You look fantastic and you need to self assess how stunning you are. When you find the right clothing/swim suit you will feel amazing. Do not let the *ideals* discourage you. I have a swim dress that I use and it really hides all the unwanted areas, and it is cute as heck! And yeah, I bought it in the older ladies section of the store, but when I got it on it flattered so nicely. I hope you can see how stunning you are and how amazing you have done in your journey *hug* remember we are here for you!
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow looking at your picture we can all see the amazing progress you have made. Your stomach by no means looks the same :) I know what you mean though and that is something we just have to learn to accept. Somedays I look in the mirror when I am getting dressed and still see the almost 470 lb person I was. Its our view and our self image. Other's do not see what you are seeing. It is going to take time and lots of adjustment in how you view yourself. After 3 years I can finally look in the mirror somedays and be happy with where I am at now :) It will come but you have to encourage it also. Lots of positive self talk helps :) Remind yourself how much healthier you are. Take pictures of your body for you too look at and see the difference, compare them side by side so you can see just how far you have come and train your mind to know what the new you really looks like. :) Congrats on becoming a even healthier you :)

Wow. Youve done an amazing job. How long have you been losing?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 my goal is 140
    All i have to say is you are AMAZING! Keep up the hard work.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    1. You look incredibly different. Yes, including your stomach. Yay, you! You are looking so good!

2. You're not at goal weight yet. Our bodies kind of pick and choose where they'll lose weight first and most.

3. Once you reach goal weight, give yourself a year or two for the skin to tighten. You're young and it might go a long way to where you want to be. Exercise can help tone and shape your body a bit, which will make you look shapelier but can't make up for everything your body wants to do.

4. Chances are by now that you look terrific. Maybe you do end up with a stomach hangover. I got one with my first pregnancy and it never went away. Now, after three kids and once I finish this weight loss, it will be a problem for sure. I'd love to get it removed surgically, Don't know if I can afford that. But the important thing is...I am so much healthier and looking so much better than before! I will never get to perfect, but surely we can learn to be happy with having done so much for ourselves. You especially!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

Wow. Youve done an amazing job. How long have you been losing?
    Thank you and about 3 years :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No way can your stomach still look the same 127lbs lighter................ That is impossible!!!

Your looking at yourself, as if your 127lbs heavier - Your not!!!!!!!!!!!! That person has gone, Your a lot lighter now & look so much better for it.

Congrats on that massive weight loss - That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I started at about 300 something and I'm currently a little bit heavier than you are. People see me and say "oh wow you have become so thin!" but when I look in the mirror I still see the same old me. It was a mental process for me to accept certain things.

For starters because your skin has stretched out, whatever fat is left tends to linger in that stretched out skin rather than closer to the torso, which makes you feel as if you haven't lost much. I have accepted that I will have skin here and there, and I'm not really planning to get surgery because once I manage to get to a lower body fat, that leftover skin can easily be hidden under clothes since it won't have too much volume, just some deflated cells.

I would rather have skin than not be able to shop at local stores, than being almost diabetic, than gasping for breath after one flight of stairs and the list goes on. All it takes is patience. As you itch your way towards lower body fat, you will start noticing differences, but until then, you have be patient and proud of yourself for what you achieved.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at people tell someone outright "you are looking great!" when one is obviously not satisfied with the results.

Why is that?

Perhaps they can see objectively how far we've come and the difference from somewhere we no longer are versus some unrealistic goal we have set up. Those voices might seem false, but they aren't. You still have a way to go, perhaps you'll never be perfect as you wish in your mind but the distance you've come is fantastic, it is an achievement. Now is the time to align expectations a little more, to look also at other objectives - I'm sure what you can do physically has changed with such a change in weight.

You've come a long way, you might still have a bit to go.
    But you are doing great. Re-assess, see the success and keep at it.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I understand this. When we set out to lose this kind of weight, we have an image in our heads of how great we are going to look. Then as we get closer to that goal, things are just not the way we planned. Combined with the fact that our brains seek out flaws in the total picture and focus on them - it's no wonder our expectations outrun reality.

One way I deal with this is to just sit down and make a list of all the differences in my life. All the things that I can do that I couldn't do before. The things I am willing to try that I was too afraid to try before. The benefits of being in better health. The pains I no longer deal with.

But, I also know that I'm a lot older than you and I'm not sure how this would feel if I was 2 decades younger. When you get to goal, you may feel differently. In the days until then, learn to love this new you. You have started on that path already - keep moving forward. I hope you are able to reach all your goals and be happy.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I see a big difference between your before photo and the progress photo on the right. I won't tell you how to feel about your own body because how you feel is very personal and you have a right to your feelings. Other people look at you objectively and they don't see what you think of as your flaws. They see a woman who has busted her butt and worked hard. That's what I see.

My sister started at your starting weight and is your height. Her current weight varies between 167 and 175, and she's been maintaining at this weight for 5 or 6 years now. She didn't have the loose skin removed, but it got better and better over time. Her legs and arms firmed up quite a bit. So did her belly. The belly took longer, but it did firm up.

It will get better over time. Just keep on track.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I can relate on feeling that certain areas haven't caught up with weight loss. My hips will be the last part of me to slim down, I know it. I've taken my measurements and lost way more from my bust (womp womp) and waist than I have my hips. Genetics are cruel. Your stomach might be the last place to go. You also may have to consider surgery down the road to remove excess skin. Start a savings plan for that now, if you can afford to put a few dollars towards that each month/cut back on a few luxuries, you may find yourself able to afford it in a few years.

Strength training does help with loose body bits. I highly recommend it in the mean time.