Relationship + fitness = to lift or not to lift??

Options
So if you're into fitness, full-fledged, you know it's a daily way of life. My question (out of curiosity) is:

Is it better for you, personally, to be with a significant other that also has the fitness lifestyle, doesn't or don't care?

I would personally find it easier and more rewarding with one that is, cause they're be more understanding.

Replies

• sassyN1989
    sassyN1989 Posts: 424
    Options
    I think it is definitely helpful to have supportive people in your life. A significant other is very important so I think ideally I would want them to care but not be over bearing.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could be someone who doesn't work out. The highlight of my day is crossfit. I love the way it makes me feel, how much stronger I've gotten. When I have down time I would love someone to go o a run or walk with. I want to be healthy for me and my family and I would like him to feel the same way
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're into it full fledged then it's definitely better to have someone who is the same or at least understands.

stuff like not wanting to miss a workout, discussing minor and major milestones, etc can be annoyance to people who dont understand.

plus if you're partner is into fitness that makes it easier to have someone to spot you at the weight room :happy:
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be with someone who cares about fitness, or at least someone who doesn't disagree with my lifestyle. We don't have to workout together, but it might be easier to form bad habits when you're always around someone who doesn't care.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'd MUCH prefer someone who was into it.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Being with someone that shares your same passions no matter what it is would be amazing but obviously it's not mandatory.
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a very important part of my life. I also prefer men with muscular physiques, so they would definitely have to lift.
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    It's very important in my every day. My partner is very much into sports/fitness also and we encourage and support each other. Our working shifts clash so we do give up a lot of our time to be at the gym. I think it depends on the out look you both have. As littlebutlean said it's not mandatory but helps.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Yes is a Must Have of him, is a lifestyle that i can't give up and my partner as well,
    I consider it very healthy for the mind too.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    if you're into it full fledged then it's definitely better to have someone who is the same or at least understands.

stuff like not wanting to miss a workout, discussing minor and major milestones, etc can be annoyance to people who dont understand.

plus if you're partner is into fitness that makes it easier to have someone to spot you at the weight room :happy:

spot on!
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I enjoy having a partner who is active and has fitness goals. It's one more dimension of our relationship to explore together. I don't think I could be with someone who was slovenly when it came to health and fitness. It would limit ALL of the activities that I enjoy.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I don't care as long as the partner understands the importance of the fitness stuff. I don't expect for me to personally do everything my partner thinks is important. There are bigger compatibility factors than fitness,
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say that I love that my husband lifts with me.....but today, I want to hit the gym....he says he wants to go, but wants a nap first. So here I sit on MFP while he naps, I could have been done and showered by now :grumble:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I've been at varying levels of fitness for the 17 years I've been with my husband, I can count the number of times I've gotten my husband to workout with me and wouldn't have to use both hands. We each have our own hobby's and interests and do our own things. He has been VERY supportive of my fitness goals over the last year as I've been pushing towards getting back to my college athlete fitness levels (almost there, getting older sucks :grumble: )

The only thing I would like to see is him maybe getting in to weight lifting with me if I can get the equipment for our house. He won't even attempt any form of cardio but I *might* be able to get him under the bar if I can format it in the laziest and least time consuming way possible. :laugh: This is not so much because I want a workout buddy, I actually prefer lifting by myself, but his gut does bother him and I know his stress, migraine and digestive issues would improve if he could get a little bit of weight off.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    My wife and I originally found separate paths to fitness and then they converged in the weight room. We now lift together 2 to 3 times a week, mostly the weekends, when our schedules allow. She's a great partner.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't care as long as the partner understands the importance of the fitness stuff. I don't expect for me to personally do everything my partner thinks is important. There are bigger compatibility factors than fitness,

Yep. This.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both fit. But, I go to the gym to lift weights and have weights at home. And I am a dancer.

He bikes, runs, hikes, outdoor stuff.

He is very supportive of my fitness because he enjoys the benefits of it as well. And he also likes to watch me lift weights and dance. Sometimes he dances (and even performs with me) as well.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a must have, but the person would have to be understanding and supportive of it and not resent the time and effort taken to do it. It definitely would make it easier, I know it would be hard to eat healthy with someone tempting you all the time. My wife and I are both into fitness, but do different things. She likes more classes (crossfit, zumba, kickboxing) while I like running more. We both lift weights. Schedules and kids don't really allow it now, but on the few occasions we have worked out together in the weight room or trying some class or something it has been a lot of fun.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It never used to be important to me. Now that I'm single again, it kind of is. I mean, you don't have to do what I do, but do something.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make much difference to me. A person's ability to be "understanding" really is affected little by their activity level. They're either going to tolerate morning workouts/ eating habits / activity levels or not. Just don't forget that if they are understanding of you, you have to be understanding of them. Don't get all high and mighty when they actually enjoy food, 10am wakeups or couching it up to a good movie.

There are far too many other factors that bring people together (or split them up) than if they can jog together.