Help!!! I'm so frustrated!!!

Options
I'm having issues with balancing my nutrition goals. I'm on a 1400 calorie nutrition plan. I've been concentrating on keeping below my calories, meet my protein goals, and keep low on the carbs and sodium, plus get enough fiber, vitamins, etc. BUT, with things like carbs, I still have to eat enough to be able to burn carbs for energy instead of protein, which I need for my strength training. Why is this nutrition thing such a freaking balancing act? And how can I make it easier on myself? And am I the only one frustrated by trying so hard, and feeling like I'm failing? UGH!

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll make it DEAD simple for you. I guessing your main goal is to lose weight so ALL you need to do is track the 1400.

it doesnt matter if you eat high or low amounts of carbs or protein.

the MAIN THING is track the calories but yes...

eating more protein will help you lose weight faster b/c protein kills your appetite and your body has to burn more calories to digest protein but even then...

you should only get anal about carbs and protein if you hit a plateau when you're trying to lose your last 20 pounds or less

easier = eat whatever you want + making sure you eat the right amount (of calories)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. That's all I've got. :)
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm no one to give advice about this, BUT I'm gonna go ahead anyway. Mostly bumping for my FL (who are awesome) because they know this stuff better than most.

I think it's important to first get your calories under control. Then, after you have that you can start getting your macros right. I've noticed a lot of my successful friends eat chicken often because it's calorie/protein ratio is particularly good.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of protein, and lose lots of weight.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep, focus first on calories and portion control. If you over think things in the early stages, it could well turn you off to the whole process. What is you number one goal? Weight loss? Then calories really are the most important thing to focus on. It's very basic math - burn more than you consume.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm just over two months in and try to keep my cal. between 1200 and 1400, the macros seem to fall into place most days. I try to hit all the food categories ie 2-3 fruit, 4-6 veg, 2-3 lean protein, 3-4 grain and 1 or 2 fats (my dairy is limited because of lactose intolerance). Some days my macros are over some days under. I'm not worrying about the macros right now, just the calories in/calories out.
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    Thank you all so much for simplifying this for me! I guess I've just been so gung ho about doing my best that I kind of let it overwhelm me. You guys are the reason I love MFP. 50% of my successwith MFP is due to the handy app. The other 50% is due to the sport, information, and encouragement I get from so many of you here. Thank you!!!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'll make it DEAD simple for you. I guessing your main goal is to lose weight so ALL you need to do is track the 1400.

it doesnt matter if you eat high or low amounts of carbs or protein.

the MAIN THING is track the calories but yes...

eating more protein will help you lose weight faster b/c protein kills your appetite and your body has to burn more calories to digest protein but even then...

you should only get anal about carbs and protein if you hit a plateau when you're trying to lose your last 20 pounds or less

easier = eat whatever you want + making sure you eat the right amount (of calories)

Agreed
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I think you should focus more on pre and post workout snacks. If you are eating a good pre-workout snacks which includes carbs and protein you will get enough energy for your strength training ( for example - one apple, whole grain toast with peanut butter etc)

Post workout snacks is also very important as it repairs muscle ( Carbs, protein and dairy products for calcium which makes your bone strong).

Too much carbs is not required for your workout if you ar eating right pre and post workout snacks. Its my opinion.
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Whole30 - it is a program that trains your body to leverage good fats and protien as your main source of energy...

It's a program, but the book really helps explain nutrition in a good way....for me, I used to eat a banana prior to working out (e.g., for some quick carbs and sugar to help me through bootcamp, etc.) - now I eat turkey :) - huge difference.....doesn't happen over night, but it does work.