Weight lifting to lose fat

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Are you using weights alone to lose fat? Weights alone in a calorie deficit does not really do much. I have the same problem too. M problem is though that I am trying to cut fat and build muscle which is a diet that almost takes perfection to do.

Have you done research on what is the best way to cut fat?

Also weight training does not burn that much. Slow steady cardio burns more I think. I don't know I stop doing slow steady cardio from like September.

completely disagree.

You should be using your diet and not your training to lose fat. You should not be looking at weight training from a 'how many calories does it burn' standpoint. Resistance training allows you to retain/build muscle and change a physique the way only cardio cannot. (note - I still do cardio for other reasons).

There are plenty of people who get very very lean never doing any cardio and only weight training.

I never said exercise was the best way to cut fat. I did say it takes a really strict diet to gain muscle and lose more fat.
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    I am confused. Are you using weights alone to lose fat? Weights alone in a calorie deficit does not really do much. I have the same problem too. M problem is though that I am trying to cut fat and build muscle which is a diet that almost takes perfection to do.

Also weight training does not burn that much. Slow steady cardio burns more I think. I don't know I stop doing slow steady cardio from like September.

completely disagree.

You should be using your diet and not your training to lose fat. You should not be looking at weight training from a 'how many calories does it burn' standpoint. Resistance training allows you to retain/build muscle and change a physique the way only cardio cannot. (note - I still do cardio for other reasons).

There are plenty of people who get very very lean never doing any cardio and only weight training.

I agree with Hendrix. I only do cardio on my "rest" days. While cardio burns more calories AT THE TIME you are doing the exercise, weight training will burn calories long after the workout. The body continues to burn calories while repairing itself (that's the "muscle soreness" you feel the next day). If your priority is to lose weight, then you need to concentrate on your diet and be honest with yourself in tracking (an "eyeball" measurement of food has more calories than an actual measurement). I learned that the hard way. Once I started actually measuring everything, eating TRUE servings as opposed to PERCEIVED servings (and I understand that sucks) I realized that I was actually consuming almost 300 calories a day more than I thought I was.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

completely disagree.

I never said exercise was the best way to cut fat. I did say it takes a really strict diet to gain muscle and lose more fat.

One can use diet or exercise to cut fat but please don't lose that butt!! Am I right??

You do know that the butt is a pretty big muscle on the body= more testosterone= do I have to keep going?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Well i'm not losing much weight because im gaining muscle but ive lost quite a bit of fat.

:huh:
    You've lost a lot of fat, gained muscle and stayed the same weight? All while eating 1500 cal?

Somthing is off here. As a newby lifter you *may* have gained a small amount of muscle, but not likely to be noticable. Muscle is generally only gained by eating at a calorie surplus (i.e. eating above maintenance). If you really are eating just 1500 then you should be losing weight - it seems a very low intake for a tallish young guy.

I agree! It is mathematically impossible to "gain" anything while being on a deficit. Also if you are honestly tracking your calories (weighing, measuring, etc) and truly eat only 1500 calories a day, you should be losing weight. I am a 46yo female eating 1500 cals per day, working out for 30 mins 6 days a week and still lose 1-2lbs per week.

Checkout http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/ The author's articles are great for beginners and anyone "brainwashed" by all the myths of weight-training, losing fat, or feeling the need to "kill yourself" in the gym.

LMAO @ mathematically impossible. Yet there are ton of people who gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Is it common, may be not, but impossible? no way. Human metabolism is way complicated than simple math of addition and subtraction.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh but I'm 5'10 25 year old and my sweet spot for weight loss doing heavy lifts is 1800 calories.
  • Trytotryharder
    Options
    I know for a fact ive lost fat and gained muscle.

Ive taken progression pictures for fat loss and for muscle gain i was doing dumbell chest presses at the beginning at 14/16kg and now im doing 22kg so i must be gaining a bit of muscle
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ive taken progression pictures for fat loss and for muscle gain i was doing dumbell chest presses at the beginning at 14/16kg and now im doing 22kg so i must be gaining a bit of muscle

See I experience that too but have been told that you do not build muscle in calorie deficit. I also read that the calorie surplus to gain muscle is not like 3500 to lose a pound of fat. It is way less to gain muscle.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Well i'm not losing much weight because im gaining muscle but ive lost quite a bit of fat.

:huh:
    You've lost a lot of fat, gained muscle and stayed the same weight? All while eating 1500 cal?

Somthing is off here. As a newby lifter you *may* have gained a small amount of muscle, but not likely to be noticable. Muscle is generally only gained by eating at a calorie surplus (i.e. eating above maintenance). If you really are eating just 1500 then you should be losing weight - it seems a very low intake for a tallish young guy.

Exactly this.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

You're confusing gain in strength with a gain in muscle mass. Just because you've become stronger does not necessarily mean you have gained muscle mass.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 130 lbs and losing weight eating 1600 and lifting heavy. I really think 1500 is too low for someone your size. Calculate TDEE and subtract 20%. I don't see the point of low carbs, try 40/30/30. You need to fuel your body. And it's not a race, you are losing fat at the rate your body is meant to. Give it time, you'll be in your sexy pants in no time.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Weight training will boost your metabolism for hours after your done, cardio just burns calories as your doing it then it stops, I lost 30+Lbs just lifting no cardio.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 130 lbs and losing weight eating 1600 and lifting heavy. I really think 1500 is too low for someone your size. Calculate TDEE and subtract 20%. I don't see the point of low carbs, try 40/30/30. You need to fuel your body. And it's not a race, you are losing fat at the rate your body is meant to. Give it time, you'll be in your sexy pants in no time.

Shoot, I'm 5'5" and 130 and a 38 year old female. I lose weight at 1700 calories. And to maintain, I need to average around 2200/day. So 1500 for a 5'11" male is way too low, IMO.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Sorry, it does not work that way. If you are at a deficit you will not gain muscle. It is possible to gain strength without gaining muscle. There is also a phenomenon known as newb gains but those are generally reserved for the extremely obese.

Check out the following link. It is a very good read by a well regarded author.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

In my opinion you are eating way to little. I am 44, 5' 10", 220 lbs and my daily intake is between 1900 and 2200. I am still losing a pound to two pounds a week. A very safe and long term way to lose weight. Oh yeah, I am lifting heavy and doing cardio as well. some HIIT and some steady state.

Speaking of that, time to head to the gym.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    up you calories and just see what works for you. keep an eye on the scale and go from there. personal I just upped my calories from 1800 to 2300. 2300 is a 25% cut from my TDEE
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Weight training will boost your metabolism for hours after your done, cardio just burns calories as your doing it then it stops, I lost 30+Lbs just lifting no cardio.

Slow steady cardio only burns during workouts.
    I do HIIT and cardio acceleration which takes me like a half hour to recuperate from. I am not a newbie fitness level. That was years ago.
    Muscle mass boost metabolism a little bit more than weight training in the calorie deficit.

How long it take you to lose 30 pounds because I am at 77 days and 22 pounds down. Before that I lose pants size from 42-38 with no scale change?
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I do HIIT and cardio acceleration which takes me like a half hour to recuperate from. I am not a newbie fitness level. That was years ago.
    Muscle mass boost metabolism a little bit more than weight training in the calorie deficit.

How long it take you to lose 30 pounds because I am at 77 days and 22 pounds down. Before that I lose pants size from 42-38 with no scale change?

It took about 5 months, The first 20 lbs came off easy but the last 10 have been a struggle.. Yes clothe sizes have been changing to just not the scale, don't really care for the scale it's the recomp that matters
  • yopeeps025
    Options

It took about 5 months, The first 20 lbs came off easy but the last 10 have been a struggle.. Yes clothe sizes have been changing to just not the scale, don't really care for the scale it's the recomp that matters

Nice. I love exercising. I do it everyday after work. World cup USA game did not stop it. Nothing has stopped it so far. I took a week off the gym 2 months ago due to other obligations and I went into a depression from stress.

Now I hate cardio just like some people do. Cardio does help in weight loss. Combo weight training after affects of repair with HIIT EPOC= raised metabolism= do something like that everyday to increase BMR= a very easy relaxing weight loss journey.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Replace this line with your question

---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.4*

23/M/5'11" | CW 184 | % BF | Lightly active

* 1360 kcal Goal, a 47% deficit. (NaN min, 2543 max)
    * 40g Carbohydrates
    * 165g Protein (g min, g max)
    * 60g Fat (NaNg min, 191g max)

----

A 47% deficit is just plain stupid. Sorry if that is offensive, but the truth is the truth.

You calculated what your body needs to maintain it's current size, and you cut that in half.

You are starving yourself in an attempt to lose fat, which simply will not work. Your body will consume muscle instead.

You need to be eating at a 10% (2288 calories) maybe at most 20% (2034 calories deficit.

I would imagine that you are hungry constantly. One, that's no way to live. Two, it is not going to help you achieve your goal.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

He did calculate TDEE, then he cut it in half.