Four Questions About Working Out

Options
1. Because of school starting plus work, I'm really limited on when I can work out. My school has a free gym, so I'd really like to use it. I'd mainly (probably only) be using a treadmill. I've been looking over my schedule and I think I'll have two days a week I can work out. MAYBE three, sometimes maybe only one. Question: Does it matter? I mean, doesn't any little bit help? Or will it be completely useless just doing it that little? The thing is, I'd be going while my brothers are in class, so I could potentially be there for up to six hours. (I don't think I could go that long either way, I'll probably do homework, I'm just saying these aren't ten minute workouts or anything.)

2. Suggestions other than treadmill? Something easy that I can focus on a book I listen to rather than that exercise, haha...

3. I'd walk/run at home but doing that in my neighborhood kind of embarrasses me... But so does a gym. Do you see anyone there on the treadmill that just looks weird/awkward? I'm not saying others do; I'm afraid I do. I don't REALLY care what I look like to others THAT much, but I'd rather not be the weirdo on the treadmill attempting to run smoothly that everyone is laughing at. I've been told I'm not the most graceful person. I don't even know what I'm asking.

4. Is it easy to do the C25K on a treadmill or should I just stick to the little plans they have programmed in? In regards to that, are the little programs in there easy for a beginner? I do NOT run. I can walk pretty well though. :P

Long post is long... I'm going to take a shower and hopefully when I get back someone has some suggestions. :)

Replies

• MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    1. Because of school starting plus work, I'm really limited on when I can work out. My school has a free gym, so I'd really like to use it. I'd mainly (probably only) be using a treadmill. I've been looking over my schedule and I think I'll have two days a week I can work out. MAYBE three, sometimes maybe only one. Question: Does it matter? I mean, doesn't any little bit help? Or will it be completely useless just doing it that little? The thing is, I'd be going while my brothers are in class, so I could potentially be there for up to six hours. (I don't think I could go that long either way, I'll probably do homework, I'm just saying these aren't ten minute workouts or anything.)

2. Suggestions other than treadmill? Something easy that I can focus on a book I listen to rather than that exercise, haha...

3. I'd walk/run at home but doing that in my neighborhood kind of embarrasses me... But so does a gym. Do you see anyone there on the treadmill that just looks weird/awkward? I'm not saying others do; I'm afraid I do. I don't REALLY care what I look like to others THAT much, but I'd rather not be the weirdo on the treadmill attempting to run smoothly that everyone is laughing at. I've been told I'm not the most graceful person. I don't even know what I'm asking.

4. Is it easy to do the C25K on a treadmill or should I just stick to the little plans they have programmed in? In regards to that, are the little programs in there easy for a beginner? I do NOT run. I can walk pretty well though. :P

Long post is long... I'm going to take a shower and hopefully when I get back someone has some suggestions. :)

1. every little bit hurts but helps
    2. rowing is awesome and tranquil and as good as swimming for overall body exercise
    3. who give a rats behind what others think. When I see a larger person out doing something about the issue I tend to think well of them
    4. Just move, move, move. Walking is as good as running to start. just move!
    5. Men have nipples so we know when its cold outside :o)
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Um, not sure I can answer all the questions but here goes: Definitely any little bit counts, if it's more than what you're doing now, it counts. I don't go to a gym at this time but when I did I don't remember really paying attention to anyone else and I felt like you do, like everyone would be looking at me. Most of the people there are so focused on getting their workout done and getting home they don't really notice other people. As for other exercises you could do and focus on listening to your book...elliptical, stairs, bike, etc. Good luck!!
  • bounce0033
    Options
    Do incorporate some strength training with your exercise. You will definitely get better results.

If your gym has Kettle Balls you should check it out.

Here is a youtube video showing some of the exercises:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrXfqjJWGXo

Good Luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If it's more than sitting on your butt, it counts! As far as other exercise go, ellipticals, arc trainers, stationary bikes are all good. You should also do some strength training. Don't be embarrassed about what you might look like. Walk or run in your neighborhood. Trust me, IF someone sees you, they won't care. And chances are you won't look silly anyway.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mobiusman completely. Especially number 5. :)

Seriously. Do NOT worry about what others think. Honestly, you may be awesome and all, but people are way more in to themselves. We just think we're the center of the universe. Go do what you can when you can!! And good luck!
  • rachieladines
    Options
    Every little bit counts!
    I am a full time student and work two jobs so I know how hard it is to get a work out in! I started parking far away from campus so I can at least get a good walk on my way to class, I also made a commitment to never use elevators no matter how tired I am! But just those little changes can make a huge difference:)

Also I now can run up to four miles since I started running about four months ago, but U started out slow. I never use the programs on the treadmill just jog at about 5.0 for two minutes then walk at 3.0 for three minutes and just keep switching back and forth. Or you can really burn calories at a 3.0 walking pace whatever u feel your body is ready for.

People are not staring at you at the gym, everyone is worried so much about themselves that they don't even notice others:) And who cares what they think u know you are there for yourself and not for them so more power to you!!!

Oh and a good machine besides treadmill which u can read a book on is the elliptical trainer anyone at a beg or advance level can do this!

Awesome job on making changes in ur life Keep up the good work (I'm not an expert these are just tips I have used and they work for me:) but everyone is different :) I hope this helped
  • crobertson1916
    Options

1. Any bit of exercise is good. However, the more you get in, the faster your results. You should not work out longer than 60-90 minutes. Your body will need to rest. As long as you are keeping up with your calories, you should still see results on the scale.

2.Alternate exercises would be circuit training, bicycling, or using the elliptical machine. I have more, but this is a start. If you need some help, send me a friend request and I would be glad to explain more.

3. There's no reason to be embarrassed or worried about what others think of you at the gym. I used to have the same feelings, then I realized the other people that are there are for the same reason as me - to be healthy.

4. I do not run either. The programs are easy, but you need to be cautious and try not to overdo it. I usually just do the programmed plans or I just do sprints.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

1) Every single thing you do helps. Even viewing cleaning the house as a workout helps.

2) While you can't read, try using the rowing machine it's great for everything. Even if you only do five minutes. Bikes are good for reading on.

3) You shouldn't worry about what people think. I feel the same though. If you're really worried try walking to things instead of using the car. At least then you're out for a reason other than losing weight.

4) Yes, if it's the automatic ones then it's easier than actually running on ground. The C25K is designed for people who don't and can't run, i.e YOU.

Just go for it.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help and suggestions! I really appreciate it and I think it will all help a lot. And thanks for the encouragement regarding other people, haha. :)
  • grumpyswife123
    Options
    When I know I won't have time to exercise that day, I put on my wrist and ankle weights to do my housework. After folding laundry, sweeping and mopping with weights on, you feel like you've had a real workout.