Just how bad are olives for me?

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Olives are freaking awesome....good fat as well. I wouldn't give them up for anything.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, just bad diets.

Fit them into your calorie/macro goals and enjoy.
    Foods with transfats are bad foods. imho.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    And me. Let us save you from the olives.
    They're awful for you. You should give all your olives to me.
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Throw some avocados in the mix!

Mmmmmmm avocados....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSltYVRwRyv92AAv4eue1dJSOVR2q_W8wz_W474YK7U1kzcjKiUOA
    Great, now i want olives AND avacados. Anyone want to make a grocery store run with me on my lunch break???
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, fat is not bad. Especially not the kind from olives, that is good fat for you.

Fat does not MAKE you fat. Only an excess of calories does that. Go ahead and enjoy your olives.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    And look how skinny Popeye's girlfriend is!!

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ok, now going to google macro nutrients!

Macronutrients are carbs, protein and fat. The things your body needs high amounts of.

Micronutrients are vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, etc. that your body needs smaller amounts of.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Love my olives, they are a good way to get my fat macro and to hit my salty/flavour craving. I just ate a few chili garlic stuffed green olives, delicious!

Chilli, garlic, olives - they've got to be three words that were meant to go together.

I love the chilli and soft cheese stuffed green olives. mmmmmmmmmmmm

200.gif

Where does one find such delicious olives?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Fat content of olives is awesome! Congrats! Fat is a MACRO nutrient, enjoy them.

:heart:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I don't think naturally occurring trans fats are necessarily bad (and potentially beneficial).

Industrial trans fats may be tho...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't think naturally occurring trans fats are necessarily bad (and potentially beneficial).

Based on what? I tried to look up information on this and the only thing I could find was nutritionists saying that while naturally occurring trans fats had the same affect as created trans fats, they were not a problem because they occur in such small amounts.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Industrial trans fats have largely been removed from UK food so they don't really come under the heading of 'food' here anyway.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Green olives in beer is amazing!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

There is some great info in the Eat, Train, Progress group right here on MFP. This link is great and includes info on what Macro nutrients are and how they should be used in your diet. Check the threads listed under "Setting your calorie and macro targets".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck.

Also: Yum on the olives and herbs. I like to get the Greek Mix Olives from Wholefoods Olive Bar and put them in food processor with additional olive oil, fresh herbs and fresh minced garlic. Of course, I also like to eat it on French Boule bread. LOTS of calories but SOOOOO GOOD!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    90% of my daily fat comes from Olives, yummy!
  • tedrickp
    Options

Based on what? I tried to look up information on this and the only thing I could find was nutritionists saying that while naturally occurring trans fats had the same affect as created trans fats, they were not a problem because they occur in such small amounts.

Actually, I haven't found any evidence that something like CLA is beneficial, hence why I said potentially. Most of the studies I have seen are far from conclusive. I was just covering all my bases haha

I think I just worded my post poorly.

Give me a redo - I should have just said "I disagree that foods with transfats are necessarily bad - because dairy and beef include naturally occurring trans fat and I do not think they are bad foods".
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wait, 18.5g of fat? How many olives did you eat?! That's a whole jar! I like olives, but my stomach would complain if I ate that many!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Link? I've never heard anything positive about transfats of any kind. Wait are you talking about CLAs and the like? Sure.Not bad. Not something I really think of as a transfat, but suppose it is. Fine. MANUFACTURED transfats are bad.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

There is some great info in the Eat, Train, Progress group right here on MFP. This link is great and includes info on what Macro nutrients are and how they should be used in your diet. Check the threads listed under "Setting your calorie and macro targets".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck.

Also: Yum on the olives and herbs. I like to get the Greek Mix Olives from Wholefoods Olive Bar and put them in food processor with additional olive oil, fresh herbs and fresh minced garlic. Of course, I also like to eat it on French Boule bread. LOTS of calories but SOOOOO GOOD!

Tapenade!! Mmmm. Kalamata Olives are my fave. I make a mean tapenade with the same ingredients as above with all kalamata olives and a spoonful of cream cheese to hold it together.
  • tedrickp
    Options
    Link? I've never heard anything positive about transfats of any kind. Wait are you talking about CLAs and the like? Sure.Not bad. Not something I really think of as a transfat, but suppose it is. Fine. MANUFACTURED transfats are bad.

Yeah I reworded in a subsequent post, and yes I meant things like CLA, VA